What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney clubs future prospects - no one needs to move.

1. Sharks.

upgrade to Shark Park of $10 million. further developments to car park to build units and extend Peter Burns stand. sale of land with development approvals.

within 10 years time a ground with lots more cover and very strong finances, no need to move.

2. Souths

increase of 3000 season tickets last year. increase in club revenues under new owners of 5.5 million a year. cut in costs of around $1 million pa to see losses minimised. new LC to be finished to produce revenues not linked from pokie machines

3. Parramatta

Leagues club will trade through current difficulties. located in RL heartland, strong juniors, and potential for more income to play games at Homebush

4. Penrith

LC owns 17 or so clubs in nsw. assets of over $300 million. strong juniors and growing area

5. Roosters.

Strong LC and strong backer and despite lack of juniors no need to move

6. Tigers

not overly reliant upon LC grants and have large crowds at leichhardt oval

7. Saints.

Despite LC having falling revenues, have $8 million in the bank. strong juniors, history.

8. Dogs

massive crowds, richest LC, strong juniors.

realistically only cronulla and souths were the real chances of moving or dieing off. both have had a big turn around in their fortunes so i cant see any of those moving on.

if the nrl wants teams in perth, central coast, queensland or wellington theyll just have to increase the number of teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shark park needs a hell of alot more than $10mill to get it close to a decent stadium.

Brutus

Referee
What about Newtown?

That King George the whatever stand at Henson could sure do with a $75.55c upgrade.

As was identified in the Lincoln Crowne white paper, the clubs all need to work harder to secure more valuable long term and deeper sponsorship arrangements. They also need to identify new revenue and merchandising opportunities.

Pokies money has made clubs lazy. It was always going to happen eventually. We just need more creative business thinking/modeling.

The clubs 'dying' rubbish is just a product of long term poor business/managerial practices.

In my mind one relocation is desirable, to the central coast.

I'd like to see a team the Bears there, but in my view NSW can't justify a new franchise in light of the other challenging areas such as Perth, Sth East QLD, and NZ. It would be a colossal waste.

Things are nowhere near as dire as is being painted currently.

The clubs just need to wake up and work harder.

bobmar28

Bench
1. Sharks.

upgrade to Shark Park of $10 million. further developments to car park to build units and extend Peter Burns stand. sale of land with development approvals.

within 10 years time a ground with lots more cover and very strong finances, no need to move.

2. Souths

increase of 3000 season tickets last year. increase in club revenues under new owners of 5.5 million a year. cut in costs of around $1 million pa to see losses minimised. new LC to be finished to produce revenues not linked from pokie machines

3. Parramatta

Leagues club will trade through current difficulties. located in RL heartland, strong juniors, and potential for more income to play games at Homebush

4. Penrith

LC owns 17 or so clubs in nsw. assets of over $300 million. strong juniors and growing area

5. Roosters.

Strong LC and strong backer and despite lack of juniors no need to move

6. Tigers

not overly reliant upon LC grants and have large crowds at leichhardt oval

7. Saints.

Despite LC having falling revenues, have $8 million in the bank. strong juniors, history.

8. Dogs

massive crowds, richest LC, strong juniors.

realistically only cronulla and souths were the real chances of moving or dieing off. both have had a big turn around in their fortunes so i cant see any of those moving on.

if the nrl wants teams in perth, central coast, queensland or wellington theyll just have to increase the number of teams.
South Sydney Sharks has a good ring to it.

nqboy

First Grade
I still like the idea of the Southern Sharks, playing out of Adelaide, famous for its great whites, and the shire. They could put the Great Australian Bight on opponents.

Brycey

Juniors
theyve already spent that $10 million.

they are talking about lots more work.

they own land and the ground worth $50 million so they are safe.
You have all the answers Dally. I mean with an upgrade to their stadium this year, plus if we give them another upgrade...they may be able to pull maybe 9000 people to a game against the team at the top of the ladder while also enjoying a good run themselves!

You have all the answers Dally. I mean with an upgrade to their stadium this year, plus if we give them another upgrade...they may be able to pull maybe 9000 people to a game against the team at the top of the ladder while also enjoying a good run themselves!

it was wet.

the hobbits dont like the wet. they stay inside or at northies.

in any case. after a 30 pointer, if we beat penny's the crowd should be much better against parra..or is it the warriors..Hmmm..

IF the land development goes ahead we will be safe. but i still see it as a big if. Sharks officials reckon 6-12 months according to the fans forum. they are also exploring new options regarding moneys in.

i will be sceptical until i see it built.

Last edited:

manlyone

Juniors
theyve already spent that $10 million.

they are talking about lots more work.

they own land and the ground worth $50 million so they are safe.

$50 million for a swamp??? If you think that swamp is worth $50m then I might be able to sell you the Harbour Bridge at a very reasonable price.

Hasn't the council knocked back on a couple of occassions the sharks fancifull redevelopment plans? Hard to see a suburb like Cronulla generating enough income to compete with the likes of Brisbane.

Hasn't the council knocked back on a couple of occassions the sharks fancifull redevelopment plans? Hard to see a suburb like Cronulla generating enough income to compete with the likes of Brisbane

the re zoning has been approved. and the environmental impact has been assessed.

basically the hard work has been done Ie..lobbying etc. just need to actually build the thing.

Like i said IF it goes ahead. we may not actually have the funds to do the building. Asset Rich, Cash Poor. thats the sharks.

Last edited:

Latest posts