What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Symonds & Gilchrist on report

DJDL

First Grade
It's always hard saying who's the best. Are we talking rock? Jazz? Metal? All-round?

I think the guys who have mentioned Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich et al are somewhere near the money.

The best rock drummer I have seen is an Aussie guy named Brad Heaney. He was the original drummer in a band named the Screaming Jets (if you've heard of them) and he was awesome. Tight as a fishes proverbial, chops all over the place, could play most any style and he just made it all look so effortless.

He's one of very few drummers who are the focal point of the band they play in, and I've lost count of the number of times I've left a gig and heard the punters freaking out about how good he was.

Sadly, once he left the Jets he pretty much disappeared into obscurity.

DJDL

First Grade
Oops, that's what happens when you browse multiple forums.

Mods, can you delete that please?

Sorry.....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Well Brett Lee plays bass and Shane Lee plays lead guitar.

I'm not sure that Gene Krupa would get a gig in the Australian team tho.

Macca

Coach
Oswin said:
The decision has been made - Gilchrist fined 50% of his match fees.

But I stand by the opinion that you cannot show visible dissent towards an umpire. No-one is saying you can't be disappointed, nor that you cannot show your disappointment. But standing your ground is dissent, so is saying "oh what, you're kidding", so too shaking your head at a decision, so too criticising a decision etc.

Whether the decision was reversed or not is of no relevance - it never has anything to do with how right or wrong the umpire was. It has everything to do with how the batsman reacts.

The Australians aren't in a bubble of protection. They are subject to the laws and bi-laws of the game like anyone else. I for one applaud the decision to continue to crack down on it. I'd also like to see the continual crackdown on excessive appealing such as the display shown by the Sri Lankans.

Fair hearing, fair result - no complaints from me.

Absolutley right again Oswin, however, don't you think there is a bit of a double standard between bowlers and batsmen. Bowlers are always shaking their heads after an LBW is given not out and they think it was plumb. No action is ever taken there. If the batsmen gets a bad decision, he should be allowed to shake his head in disbelief. There should be some leniancy. What Gilly did was question the decision verbally, so he got fined. Fair enough. Symonds wasn't fined in the end, so I guess that leniancy already exists. It seems that in your description, they both should have been fined.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
McSharkie, you make a very good point about bowlers showing disent for having appeals turned down.

Perhaps a few bowlers should be charged to stop some of the double standards.