What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taani Lavulau

TownMarra

Juniors
There is a lot of speculation over here in the local newspaper and teletext that Taani Lavulau is on his way to Workington for 2005. Ged Stokes rates him highly, we were linked with him last year during the NZ 'A' tour but it was just a rumour, this though seems genuine.
Obviously from what Ged has said Taani is a quality player who will a a bit of size to our foward line, what info do you guys have on him??
Karl Edmondson's name has also been mentioned recently aswell, he would be exempt from the oversees quota cos he was born over here in West Cumbria. I didnt really rate Karl much, he didnt really play well for NZ 'A' against Cumbria last year, but i suppose you cant judge someone after just 1 game.

The one player that our fans desparately would love to see playing for us is Taylor Pelenese, the guy is strong as an ox, stood out in the NZ 'A' tour last year.

troutmaster

Juniors
workington town are in deep discussions with taani,and it looks like he will be in towns colours next season.there is a battle going on with his current club who are fighting to keep him at home.but the lure of going abroad and playing with his fellow countrymen,and ex team mates,and to make some good money,will be to strong of a urge to keep him at home.and my fellow town fan town marra is correct when he says we would like to see taylor penelese in towns colours.we can only dream.

TownMarra

Juniors
Troutmaster, its wayno here off, i post on the Town site, when did you register on here marra??

TownMarra

Juniors
Its ok, i see you've only just joined. Its a good forum this, im a member of Newcastle knights, so all the fans that used to be on the clubs own forum that closed are on here.

troutmaster

Juniors
spot on wayno,i have read many of your postings on the town site,it was one of them that i got the info from for this site.well done mate,it is a cracking good site and the kiwi boys like to give it full on with their postings.and the town site has gone quiet lately so thanks for this one wayne....

TownMarra

Juniors
Troutmaster, im pleased you like this forum, its a good place to be if you know your League at any level, its always good crack on here, you do get some awkward buggers thinking they know it all, but apart from that its a quality site.
stick in marra!! :)

troutmaster

Juniors
cheers wayne,thanks for the info.hope you have a very good xmas,and an even better new year.lets hope town do us proud again this year.if you ever want a crack before a game,i am the steward on top of the main stand at the town end.

cheers mate :D :D :D

TownMarra

Juniors
Cheers Troutmaster, ill see you at the Haven game in February. I havent been on these boards for a week or so marra, i see you made a post on the Town site, who is the Canterbury Bulls player coming over for a 2 years working holiday? Is it Wayne Mcdade?

Promotion is on the cards for us this season, there is no doubt about that, Lee Kiddie is a good signing for us, hope he rubs it in and scores against Haven. Would like to see David Whitworth at the club eventually, he's a great finisher.

Im going to the Elbra V Egramont game on tuesday afternoon, hope Elbra do the business, wont be easy though!

Hope you had a good Xmas so far marra, ill talk soon!

haven marra

Juniors
TownMarra said:
Cheers Troutmaster, ill see you at the Haven game in February. I havent been on these boards for a week or so marra, i see you made a post on the Town site, who is the Canterbury Bulls player coming over for a 2 years working holiday? Is it Wayne Mcdade?

Promotion is on the cards for us this season, there is no doubt about that, Lee Kiddie is a good signing for us, hope he rubs it in and scores against Haven. Would like to see David Whitworth at the club eventually, he's a great finisher.

Im going to the Elbra V Egramont game on tuesday afternoon, hope Elbra do the business, wont be easy though!

Hope you had a good Xmas so far marra, ill talk soon!

He must be shit if he's signed for Town.................
only joking.........He sounds a good solid player who will do you the world of good at Town to bring the young uns through.
i hope Kiddie does well for you too, sadly his heart wasn't in it at Haven anymore.
Troutmaster is there any truth in the Dean Vaughn rumour if it is i will be a bit upset at losing him as IMO he is a great bench player.
Finally good luck for the season i trully hope you win every game except the obvious games.........

Skinner

Coach
TownMarra said:

I think the Canterbury Bulls player you are talking about is Aaron Harris.
Aaron was the Bulls captain and is heading off for a two year working
holiday to the UK.

Apologies if I have the wrong player.

Cheers
Skinner

AliN

Live Update Team
Sounds like you've named the right man Skinner...

The Canterbury Bulls rugby league team needs a new "boss" on the field next season because captain Aaron Harris will be overseas on a working holiday.

Harris, nicknamed Boss even before he succeeded Shane Beyers as skipper of Canterbury's Bartercard Cup team, expects to be away for two years.

He had hoped to extend his 38 consecutive appearances for the Bulls before leaving but has discovered his departure for London coincides with the kick-off of the 2005 competition.

About 150 players have left Bartercard Cup squads in the last year, the great majority of them seeking professional or part-time contracts overseas, but Harris, 27, said yesterday that was not his prime motive.

"It's mainly a working holiday but I'm going to have a look at a few (rugby league) things over there. I would be silly not to.

"I've been talking to Lusi (Sione, the former Bulls fullback now playing in England) and others who have come back and they said I would have no trouble finding a team to play for.

"But that's really secondary to my purpose of going over there to have a look around."

Next season will be the first time the Bulls will not have the name Harris on their team sheet.

Elder brother Clayton played 50 matches from 2000 – when he shared in the grand final victory over Otahuhu Leopards at Carlaw Park – until he was transferred on work promotion to Melbourne midway through 2002.

Aaron Harris made his debut in the last three games of that season. He also experienced the thrill of a grand final triumph, over Marist-Richmond Brothers at Ericsson Stadium in 2003.

This year, with Harris captaining the side from stand-off half, the much depleted Bulls again reached the play-offs before losing to North Harbour Tigers.

"It was a new challenge for me because I had never really captained a side before. I enjoyed it, and seeing the young guys come through," he said. "If all the guys who played this year are available again I think the Bulls will be pretty strong contenders next year."

Harris is a passionate advocate for the Bartercard Cup, despite, or because of, the demands on amateur players who are expected to achieve professional standards to be competitive.

"It's an excellent competition in a professional environment. Getting away with a team up to Auckland every second week was a big part of it for me," he said. "Guys are working 10 or 11 hours a day, then going to do a couple of hours of training for the love of it. I would play for nothing, and that's pretty much what we did, just for the love of the game."

Harris is currently backing up those words with deeds. He is still training with the Bulls and intends to do so until he and partner Liesje set off for London. "I enjoy it. It's a good incentive for me not to be sitting on the couch."

Bulls head coach Phil Prescott described Harris as "pretty under-estimated, one of those blokes who does his job and does it very well".

The scorer of 15 tries in his 38 Bartercard Cup matches, Harris could spark attacks with his clever kicking game or finish them with astute support play.

"You need blokes like him, who turn up for every game; you know what you will get from them," Prescott said.

Courtesy of www.rubgyleaguenz.com :D

troutmaster

Juniors
would love to see him in the blue and white of workington town.he would be joining some ex team mates at town.lusi sionne,johnny limmer,jt,cannot pronounce the lads name never mind spell it.and i nearly forgot the new man tanni lavulau from wellington.and i believe we have his ex boss ged stokes at the club, has head coach. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts