What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Talking boonie

carcharias

Immortal
well my missus thinks he spoke while we were driving between Werri and Sydney.
Boonie was in the car in a bag.
I didn't hear it , I was on the phone.

I think Dr Karl could answer this question...JJJ Dr Karl not Neighbours Dr Karl that is.

bazza

Immortal
carcharias said:

I think Dr Karl could answer this question...JJJ Dr Karl not Neighbours Dr Karl that is.

My guess is an antenna not a timer.

To do the experiment, you would need 2 Boonies.
Put one Boonie in some enclosure that stops all transmissions being received and another in a good spot.
If the one in a good spot talks and the other doesn't - it's an antenna
If they both talk - it's a timer

Palms

Juniors
It talked to me this morning and said someone get me a beer the crickets about to start..clearly no cricket..plus the thing was in my room and not near the tv.

I believe they're selling on EBay for around $50 or so I heard??

IanG

Coach
carcharias said:

Yeah Dr Karl Alphabet

bazza

Immortal
Palms said:
It talked to me this morning and said someone get me a beer the crickets about to start..clearly no cricket..plus the thing was in my room and not near the tv.

you can still get reception from the TV station in your room I am guessing. The signal doesn't come from the TV - it comes from Gore Hill
Also - isn't there a game today between Sri Lanka and South Africa?

carcharias

Immortal
A simple digital clock device that has been set to make a random comment during the days the cricket is scheduled sounds more likely to me.

We need a wash out . He talks ....and he's exposed.

Also when he gives you the secret word of the day it has also been printed along the bottom of the TV screen.

I work with an electronics geek who is on holidays, when he gets back I'm going to pull mine apart and see what he thinks.

mr_sharks

Juniors
carcharias said:
A simple digital clock device that has been set to make a random comment during the days the cricket is scheduled sounds more likely to me.

We need a wash out . He talks ....and he's exposed.

Also when he gives you the secret word of the day it has also been printed along the bottom of the TV screen.

I work with an electronics geek who is on holidays, when he gets back I'm going to pull mine apart and see what he thinks.

Sweet.
I'm also wondering, seeing as though he says the code word to all of the devices, does he say the same thing to each device at the same time (roughly)??

Boonie responds to a timer(the cricket starting, the nachos, asking to go to the pub etc are all on the timer, as is the keyword), and the VB beeping thing. Though the percentage of times he says stuff on the VB beeping screen is low.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
If you listen to the vb beer commercials you will hear a funny noise at the start of the ad and at the end..that's how it works. The noise is a certain frequency.

Palms

Juniors
mr_sharks said:
Sweet.
I'm also wondering, seeing as though he says the code word to all of the devices, does he say the same thing to each device at the same time (roughly)??

Me and my mates tried that against Sth Africa the other night..they both randomly said catch phrases..different times and different phrases!

bazza

Immortal
A couple of people rang up Dr. Karl yesterday about this.

He was saying it was either:
a. A timer
b. audio tones from the TV
c. television transmission

To test theory 'c', you can make a "faraday cage" and put talking boonie in it. The cage is simply a cage of chicken wire. Put one boonie in it and another next to it outside the cage. If only one talks (outside the cage) then it is the television transmission

carcharias

Immortal
Well Boonie spoke again ...7.15 am yesterday morning he said "get me a beer the cricket's about to start"

Then a few minutes later he said something else which I missed.