What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tallis comes out swinging - after the game

Kaz

junior
The man known as "The Raging Bull" again worked up a head of steam at EnergyAustralia Stadium today - off the field.

After helping steer the Broncos to a 16-12 win at Newcastle, Brisbane hardman Gorden Tallis came out swinging over the treatment of their gun fullback Karmichael Hunt after the teenager copped several head knocks.

Tallis said the league needed to do more to protect youngsters such as Hunt before taking a a thinly veiled swipe at Sydney Roosters coach Ricky Stuart and his hardman Adrian Morley who was again placed on report this weekend, this time for a tackle on Dragons youngster Aaron Wheatley.

Tallis was clearly bristling after the 17-year-old Hunt was hit hard in tackles several times today and "had headaches at halftime".

"He gets them (high tackles) every time. You get one coach who complains about his players getting targeted for giving head highs but this young bloke he's 17 and every week he gets hit around the head and no one seems to take any action," Tallis said.

"You talk about protecting the players. You got one bloke who runs a thin red line and his coach knows he is very aggressive and you've got a 17-year- old, new to the game, getting bashed every week - I know who the game has got to protect."

Hunt still bounced back to finish off a remarkable 80m effort that involved seven pairs of hands in the 48th minute today and was always dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett dipped his hat to the youngster who was king hit in backplay last weekend by St George Illawarra player David Howell, earning the Dragon a three week suspension.

"I just can't believe his toughness. I think most of you missed it last week, we certainly did, when he got hit from behind and the guy got three weeks for it," he said.

"He got up from that, after I saw it I couldn't believe we didn't notice it, but he just got up - he's so tough, it's a rare quality ... at that age."

Tallis said the Broncos had found a cure to their annual State of Origin hangover thanks to Hunt and his young brigade.

It was the corresponding game at Newcastle last year that a weary Brisbane began an eight game losing streak to be bundled out of the finals as Origin duty caught up with them.

However, this year Brisbane won every game following an Origin match.

"The young blokes are standing up. Each week when we pick one of them they always seem to play well," Tallis said.

"I mean David Stagg two weeks ago no one had really heard of him but he's come on and played outstanding.

"As long as our young blokes don't get brain explosions, we should be there at the end of the year."

Brought to you by AAP

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?id=9286

Nevcost

Juniors
hopefully when he's Locky's age, his voice won't get that bad from the head high hits.

MILLWALL

Juniors
Tallis is a just an old tool every fullback gets hammered if the hunt cant take it he shouldnt play

Coaster

Bench
Hunt can take it, and does take it every week, im yet to hear Hunt say one word on the matter, and comparred to most of the other Fairys in the other teams laying down like they were shot from the crowd, you would have to say maybe some of them should stop playing, heres a quick list:

Mclinden
Hindmarsh
Hannay
Walker
Hodgeson
Barret
Gower

I have seen all these players take certain dives, Im yet to see Hunt down at all, other then a slow play the ball.

And on Tallis looking after him, well it just goes to show what a Captain does. Players like Fletcher should take note, and not let there players get smacked around the head by the oppisition, like he let Harrison get smacked by Meli earlier in the season.

Bella

Juniors
MILLWALL said:
Tallis is a just an old tool every fullback gets hammered if the hunt cant take it he shouldnt play

Nobody said Hunt couldn't take it. Has Hunt been complaining about any of this? No.
However, Tallis has every right to question the unnecessarily cheap shots on players such as Hunt. Trying to intimidate young, talented players by beating them up with high shots and the like, is just sad and pathetic.
And I think it is great how protective Tallis is of Hunt. The fact that he is so concerned about the rest of his team just proves what a good captain he is.

MILLWALL

Juniors
But what is the point of saying players are doing cheap shots on him its part of the game i mean there not even cheap shots hes a quick bloke and i mean players are not gonna go for his legs cause they wont know where they are but they do not go for his head

Coaster

Bench
MILLWALL said:
But what is the point of saying players are doing cheap shots on him its part of the game i mean there not even cheap shots hes a quick bloke and i mean players are not gonna go for his legs cause they wont know where they are but they do not go for his head

I take it you missed the King hit he recieved in backplay against the dragons?

I dont blame you if you did, because nearly everyone else did too, but after the game, it was spotted and the player recieved 3 weeks.

If you dont think players would target a 17rld in his first season of firstgrade, that has the ability to break a game, you are kidding yourself.

And the only reason there wasnt an uproar like there was with Danny williams King hit was becuase Hunt DIDNT LAY DOWN. :shock:

Coaster

Bench
After a triple post you and Beattie seem as intelligent as each other :lol:

Broncos will look forward to knocking your semi final hopes out of the water this weekend :p