What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Pirate Ship!

DIEHARD

----
The nickname Pirates is a popular choice for a name for the Gold Coast and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been suggested as an example of what can be done with a Pirate them, especially their famous Pirate ship.

Check this out...

350X273_Photos_buc_cove.jpg

An instantly-recognizable Tampa Bay landmark, Raymond James Stadium includes some of the most unique stadium features in the world. It is a blend of modern design, classic appointments, state-of-the-art technology and historic influences that combine to create the most exciting and enjoyable game atmosphere in the National Football League. Some of the most extraordinary features include Buccaneer Cove.

In an effort to expand and enhance the overall game experience at Raymond James Stadium, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers constructed a $3 million pirate ship extravaganza called Buccaneer Cove. Located in the north end zone of the stadium, Buccaneer Cove encompasses 20,000 square feet and runs the entire length of the end zone concourse. The Cove features a weathered, 2-story fishing village facade from which a wide variety of stadium concessions, ranging from standard fare to more authentic Tampa items, are offered. Scattered throughout the area are a variety of beach hut kiosks offering additional concessions and other game enhancements.

The centerpiece of Buccaneer Cove is the majestic, 103-foot-long ship, an authentic replica of an early 1800's pirate ship, arguably one of the most recognizable stadium feature in the world.

The most menacing aspect of the pirate ship is its massive 9'x7' skull and crossed swords facing the playing field which features huge, glowing red eyes and a mouth that breathes smoke. Additionally, eight cannons celebrate Buccaneer touchdowns by releasing thundering cannon fire, smoke, confetti, mini-footballs and a variety of Buc merchandise into the stands. The ship will also be complete with working rigging and a crew to raise and lower its huge 32x50 foot sails.

350X273_Photos3_buc_cove2.jpg

Massive enough to be a striking image from any spot in the stadium, the majestic ship looms out over the crowd in the north end zone.

- Ship Length 103'
- Ship Weight 43 tons
- Ship Height 78'
- Bow Detail 9'x7'
- Ship Width 32'
- Swords 16' each

The ship was constructed over a two-month period using, among others, the following materials:

- 5.5 tones of concrete
- 14 tons of steel
- 700 yards of sails
- 1 mile of rigging
- 300 feet of rope
- 60 gallons of paint
- 64,000 linear feet of wood trim
The ship's dock serves as an interactive entertainment area from which patrons enjoy the most unique vantage point in the National Football League. Adding to the festive atmosphere is a larger-than-life interactive talking parrot that sits perched at the ship's stern.

Located adjacent to the ship is an old-time dock that serves as the site for pre-game and halftime shows performed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Cheerleaders, Tampa Bay's 44-person cheerleading troupe that includes a 10-member band of pirates who carry the signature red Buccaneer attack flags.

All areas of Buccaneer Cove and the Ship's facilities are ADA disabled ramp accessible so that all fans can benefit from this unique setting. With a full menu of food and beverages, plentiful facilities and an excellent view of the action on the field, Buccaneer Cove is as animated as the 19th-century pirate village after which it is modeled.
Buccaneer Cove was designed by HOK Studio E and constructed by The Nassal Company

DIEHARD

----
That thing is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

It has cannons that fire mini footies and merchandise into the crowd!

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Im still not convinced about the pirates, but you could do something like that for any mascot.. ie a gladiator, a wave.

DIEHARD

----
Lego_Man said:
Americanised crap.

What happened to the enthusiasm for the Gryphons?

I think Pirates is the better option, although I submitted Griffins to the bid team and the radio station for consideration. So we will see if it makes the top 20. I don't see how it will miss the boat, it is a quality alternative.

They are definately both awesome names. Beyond those two I don't really have any I like.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
One problem, if they had something like that everyone would be going to the ship and not concentrating on the game. I have to say it is a very cool idea.

dimitri

First Grade
pirates would be ok if it wasnt so american

i think id prefer griffins or sting rays

Timbo

Staff member
I like it.

How awesome would that be-Catching merchandise flying out of the cannons!

The Raiders have a large inflatable Viking Longship thing set up behind the in-goal area at Bruce, and that's cool. But imagine that thing!!

DIEHARD

----
Timbo said:
The Raiders have a large inflatable Viking Longship thing set up behind the in-goal area at Bruce, and that's cool. But imagine that thing!!

I never realised that, that is cool.

I wonder if we can put a $3,000,000 pirate ship on the state government's tab. :cool:

Dread

Juniors
We haven't really had pirates sailing about the Tasman Sea, that's why.

But I like the Pirates. It'd be a fun name.

Big Bunny

Juniors
It's fair but not a great name and it just shows a total lack of imagination. Scarborough Pirates, Noosa Pirates, Peak Downs Pirates, Old Bar Pirates etc. It's not like it isn't already taken in the Australian pro sports market either, with the Hunter Pirates basketball club. Fair Dinkum there's a million Aussie names much better and all that people can do is take the first one that pops into their head when thinking through NFL club names.

Latest posts