What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tariq Sims

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Is there been any mention of an injury to Tariq.....I noticed when he left the field he was holding and flexing his jaw and indicating to someone there was an issue with it ??

getsmarty

Immortal
State of origin: Sims eyeing Blues recall as Dragons reboot season
Dragons Den
r0_0_3625_2473_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ON THE FLY: Tariq Sims. Picture: NRL Photos
DRAGONS hardman Tariq Sims is confident he remains in the NSW selection mix despite losing his hard-won Blues jumper for game one of this year's series.

Sims offered one of the great stories of 2018 where he was arguably the form forward of the competition over the opening 10 rounds.

It saw him called into Blues camp, where his 19th man for games one and two before making his debut in Origin III.

His start to 2019 has been slower in comparison, with the Dragons struggles seeing him left out of the Blues game-one 17, though coach Brad Fittler has assured the 29-year-old that he's not out of the frame.

"I talked to [Fittler] after the squad was announced and we had a private conversation," Sims said.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm desperate to get into the Blues side but there's a few things that I need to tidy up in my game.

"I know what I need to work on, it's not going to happen overnight. I need to work hard, I need to keep stringing performances together not just sit in hope.

"I know what I need to do, it's just up to me to go out and do it and I think the last couple of weeks I'm starting to hit my straps again."

A wrist injury to David Klemmer will force one change for Fittler ahead of game two. The 18-14 loss could bring about more as the Blues look to keep the series alive, but Sims isn't expecting to see wholesale changes.

"It's going to be really hard to make changes in that Blues side," he said.

"I think the boys played outstanding the other night, I just think the bounce of the ball was going Queensland's way. For big Klem hurt his wrist and keep playing the way that he plays is unbelievable.

"That's what Origin's about, he's putting his teammates before himself. Sitting back the other night and watching them run around, I felt for the boys.

"I really wanted to be out there with them and take those tough carries and do that hard stuff you want impact players to do. That's the sort of role I want to be targeting, that impact player coming off the bench and blowing shoulders off."

Read more: Norman stars as Dragons snap losing streak

It's the role he's most likely to play should he earn a recall on the interchange, though the likes of Matt Lodge, Dale Finucane and Ryan Materson - the 19th man for game one - will all be in the frame.

"I'm a Blue through and through, if my job was to cut oranges and run the bottles out for the boys I'd take that on so hard," Sims said.

"That arena is something that, once you get a taste of it, you just want more and more. Whatever role there is for me to play I'd happily do it.

"It's up to Freddy and the selectors to think about, I just want to make sure I'm playing my best footy for the Dragons and doing all the things I can to take it out of their hands and force my way in."

For his part, Dragons coach Paul McGregor is more than confident Sims can play a role in the middle of the park if required.

"Tariq was there last year in that squad and if you're asking 'can he play Origin?' he's already done it so definitely, without a doubt he can," McGregor said.

"Is he capable of playing in the middle - yes he is. He's best suited on an edge, that's where he plays for his club, but if you ask anyone 'would you play in the middle in Origin?' they definitely would."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...lues-recall-as-dragons-reboot-season/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Tariq Sims' classy gesture for Bulldogs rival after monster hit
By WWOS staff
a day ago
Tariq Sims' classy gesture for NRL rival
While it's a common occurrence across the NRL, we've still got to tip our hat to Dragons' enforcer Tariq Sims for this classy gesture towards Bulldogs' rival Jack Cogger after last Sunday's clash.

Sims pulled off a huge tackle on Cogger after the playmaker put a kick up in the first half of Monday's clash at ANZ Stadium.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe3f76ca4-e6ac-4dec-830f-ea587bd41c98

The first half clash. (FOX Sports)
Replays showed that Sims’ shoulder came into contact with Cogger’s chin which could be considered careless and high.

Cogger struggled to get to his feet before stumbling and falling over.

The Bulldogs half went off for his HIA test before being ruled out for the remainder of the contest.

And it seems the incident stayed with Sims for the entire clash, with the forward paying the youngster a visit after the game to check on his welfare.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F9229aab7-b9e5-4946-a482-4d9dace948f0

Sims pays Cogger a visit after the match. (Nine)
"To see him after the game was a high priority for me. I love the kid and I think he's a great talent and a future superstar," Sims said after the clash.

While Sims admitted he's a different beast during the game, it doesn't overtake the respect he has for his opponent.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/tariq-...-big-hit/b4e6cc4f-745a-47da-a1bb-d14c52b48a0f

getsmarty

Immortal
simst-190511_gt_93.jpg

DRAGONS

'I'd cut oranges': Sims desperate for another Blues taste
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 13 Jun 2019, 11:23 AM
kennedychris-head.png

Dragons enforcer Tariq Sims says he would cut oranges and run drinks if it meant getting another taste of a Blues Origin camp.

With no designs on a starting spot, Sims is targeting a bench impact role for game two but says even just to get back into camp as an extra squad member would be a dream come true.

Sims got a long-awaited taste of Origin in the game three dead rubber last year, playing 34 minutes off the bench in an 18-12 loss at Suncorp Stadium.

He played strongly with 75 metres and a tackle bust from eight carries, as well as 20 tackles, but his debut is perhaps most remembered for a costly penalty in possession with NSW 12-8 up in the 50th minute, responding to some heavy niggle in a tackle from Ben Hunt.

Match: Maroons v Blues

Game 2 - Sunday 23rd June

7:50pm

Home Team

Maroons

Away Team

Blues

Venue: Perth Stadium

Buy Tickets
Sims was right in the frame for this year's series opener, eventually losing out to Angus Crichton in a three-way battle for the last bench spot alongside eventual 18th man Ryan Matterson.

He spoke to coach Brad Fittler after the squad was finalised and he knows he has some things to work on to get back in the side – the mission now is to give the Blues hierarchy no choice but to pick him.

"I'm desperate to get into the Blues but there's a few things I need to tidy up in my game," Sims said.

"I want to make sure I'm working hard. I want to make my performances pick themselves, I don't want to leave it up to a flip of the coin.

"I know what I need to work on, I know what I need to do so it's just up to me to go out and do it."

Match Highlights: Bulldogs v Dragons

Sims' season to date has been solid rather than spectacular but four of his five returns of 130-plus metres have come in his past four starts, including his first try of the year in round 10.

"The last couple of weeks I'm really starting to hit my straps again," he said.

He admitted it would be tough to break into the team now with few changes expected in the pack other than needing to replace prop David Klemmer, who has a fractured wrist.

"I think the boys played outstanding in game one but the bounce of the ball was going Queensland's way," he said.

"Sitting back the other night and watching them run around, I felt for the boys.

"I really wanted to be out there with them, taking those tough carries and doing that hard stuff that impact players want to do.

simst-180711-gp-01-.jpg

Tariq Sims hits it up on Origin debut. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"That's the sort of role I want to be targeting is that impact player coming off the bench blowing shoulders off.

"It's going to be really hard to make changes in that Blues side but for me to force my way back into the team, first of all I just want to get into the camp. I'm desperate to get into the camp with the boys.

"If my job was to cut oranges and run the bottles out for the boys I'd take that on so hard. Whatever role there is for me to play there I'd happily do it."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/13/id-cut-oranges-sims-desperate-for-another-blues-taste/

denis preston

First Grade
Didn't deserve it IMO but then again deserved to be picked for game 1 over Creighton last year. Perhaps only playing 20-30 minutes will give him the energy to terrorise the QLD kickers and hit hard in defense. Fittler will either be a genius or a myth depending on Sundays result.