What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taumalolo To Play For Tonga

ozenzud

Juniors
Yea. I don't know about this to be honest..

I think the anarchy is there in a fairly sinister way, the defections kind of prove that to me.. there are individual/groups of players who perceive themselves bigger than either the team or the NZRL.

Jesse and Proctor.. they admitted to taking a recent drug..
They wernt charged with any offence.
Their respective clubs stood them down.
Jesse lost the Kiwi captaincy.

They did the crime and the time.
Same SKD.

Both Bromich and Proctor are in white hot form...

Surely, we pick the best team..

No. Just no. Standing these guys down was the ONLY decision Kidwell could make. For his credibility, the credibility of the NZRL or the credibility of the sport. They need to impose these standards and keep imposing these standards and eventually, people will understand.

Bromich and Proctor are not whinging.

Izz

Bench
Feels like a bit of an Aussie media beat-up to me. Try to get in the heads of the coaches and players before the tournament. Realistically i don't think NZ have any chance of winning but the Aussie media are still scared

Matua

Bench
No. Just no. Standing these guys down was the ONLY decision Kidwell could make. For his credibility, the credibility of the NZRL or the credibility of the sport. They need to impose these standards and keep imposing these standards and eventually, people will understand.

They didn't need to be stood down the whole WC. As I said in a previous post we have two players convicted of assault in our team. We could surely have punished those two players without them missing the whole WC. That is just stupid as all it has done is created another level of disharmony in a team with a rookie coach who is clearly not up to the job.

Context is the issue.
If you hear about them drinking before the game it's different to after the game.
How many games did they missed for the NRL and there are 26 rounds of that?

I think stripped of captaincy and 2-3 game suspension would feel about right for first offenders, since there is like 4-6 international games a year (it's like 13 weeks suspension in NRL) harsher for second time offenders, 3 strikes your out or good.

If it was not after the test match would it have been different?
I know these are grown men, but why no protocols in place for NZRL to look after players welfare?

Anyway are they available for next year?

What happens in other successful sporting codes?

ozbash

Referee
They didn't need to be stood down the whole WC. As I said in a previous post we have two players convicted of assault in our team. We could surely have punished those two players without them missing the whole WC. That is just stupid as all it has done is created another level of disharmony in a team with a rookie coach who is clearly not up to the job.

Agree 100%

Bromich and Proctors indescretion was actually a victimless crime.
They wernt charged with anything by the police.

Mate Ma'a Tonga 2017 Rugby League Squad

Andrew Fifita
Mahe Fonua.
David Fusitu'a.
Siliva Havili.
Ata Hingano
Will Hopoate.
Konrad Hurrell.
Michael Jennings.
Solomone Kata.
Sione Katoa.
Samisoni Langi
Tuimoala Lolohea.
Sika Manu.
Ben Murdoch-Masila
Joe Ofahengaue.
Tevita Pangai Jnr.
Ukuma Ta'ai.
Siosiua Taukieaho.
Jason Taumalolo
Peni Terepo
Daniel Tupou
Manu Vatuvei

very very strong team for tackles 1-4 after that meh

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
very very strong team for tackles 1-4 after that meh
Yeah, tackles 5-6 comes the quick nippy backs as well as having to try and read oppostion attacks.

You cant help but look at that squad and imagine the powerful runners that they are. They'll be a handful for defences 5 metres out.

My team from that squad and I tried to base it on defence now that you mentioned it...

1. Will Hopoate
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Michael Jennings
4. David Fusitua
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Tuimoala Lolohea
7. Ata Hingano

8. Andrew Fifita
9. Sione Katoa
10. Ben Murdoch-Masila
11. Siosiua Taukieaho
12. Sika Manu
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Siliva Havili
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Tevita Pangai Jr
17. Peni Terepo

Note the 4 Warriors and ex Warrior :) gotta have the Warriors in there!

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Opposite for me, if the true reasons he has left playing for the Kiwis is his disappointment at 2 guys being sanctioned for getting on the nose candy straight after a woeful test effort, I lose a lot of respect for him
Well according to the Tongan coach, not to do with the cocaine.

"But I did ask him about this link between his decision and (Jesse) Bromwich and (Kevin) Proctor and he actually scoffed at that."

LINK

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Yeah, tackles 5-6 comes the quick nippy backs as well as having to try and read oppostion attacks.

You cant help but look at that squad and imagine the powerful runners that they are. They'll be a handful for defences 5 metres out.

My team from that squad and I tried to base it on defence now that you mentioned it...

1. Will Hopoate
2. Daniel Tupou
3. Michael Jennings
4. David Fusitua
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Tuimoala Lolohea
7. Ata Hingano

8. Andrew Fifita
9. Sione Katoa
10. Ben Murdoch-Masila
11. Siosiua Taukieaho
12. Sika Manu
13. Jason Taumalolo

14. Siliva Havili
15. Joe Ofahengaue
16. Tevita Pangai Jr
17. Peni Terepo

Note the 4 Warriors and ex Warrior :) gotta have the Warriors in there!

Havilli and Taukeiaho ex Warriors too. Hurrell and Kata in the squad.

Could almost create a Warriors Tongan team if we wanted to.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Havilli and Taukeiaho ex Warriors too. Hurrell and Kata in the squad.

Could almost create a Warriors Tongan team if we wanted to.
Yeah thats right. I didnt know Taukieaho came from the Warriors until a commentator mentioned it during a Roosters last year or the year before. Kata was easy to leave out of my team.

We definitely could put together a very good Warriors Tongan side.

The big thing here for us Warrior fans is the experience Hingano and Fusitua will get from the RLWC. Ata will be loving his pack.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
John Hopoate joined up the the Tonga squad and was asked about Adam Blair ?

"Who the hell is Adam Blair ?!?! I'll bash him"