What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor cops 5 weeks

Taylor banned for five weeks

Updated June 29, 2011 19:51:00

Coal train derailed ... Taylor will miss the next five rounds of the NRL season. (AAP/Action Photographics: Colin Whelan)

Queensland's faint hopes were dashed and South Sydney's devastated after Rabbitohs forward Dave Taylor was rubbed out for five games by the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night.
Taylor was unsuccessful in his bid to have a grade two dangerous throw charge downgraded, a result which would have meant him missing just one game.
He had been charged over a tackle on Brisbane's Scott Anderson in the fifth minute of Friday night's win by the Rabbitohs in Perth.
Sitting out Souths' clash with Cronulla on Sunday would have allowed Taylor to play for the Maroons in next Wednesday's State of Origin decider - but only if one of their squad had suffered a genuine injury.
That small chance was obliterated by a panel that, this week, included a Queenslander - Bob Lindner - as well as Ian Roberts and Darrell Williams.
With virtually the entire South Sydney starting pack sidelined long term, the "Coal Train's" absence is a massive blow to the club.
He now will not play until the round 22 clash with Parramatta, missing half of the Rabbitohs' final 10 games.
"At the moment I've got no comment on it and I'll just let these guys here speak for me," Taylor said as he emerged from the hearing.
Souths chief executive Shane Richardson, who had repeatedly shaken his head as prosecutor James McLeod summated up during the hour-long hearing, was also saying little as he made a quick exit from NRL headquarters.
"We're bitterly disappointed in the decision, it's just as simple as that," he said.
"You saw it all, you get to write your opinions tomorrow, we're bitterly disappointed.
"We've been without a forward pack for most of the season so we'll get somebody else to step up, simple as that."
Taylor lawyer Geoff Bellew's argument hinged on a tackle by Newcastle's Akuila Uate on Wests Tigers player Tim Simona four weeks ago.
Uate was charged with a grade one offence for the ugly tackle, which Bellew contended was worse than Taylor's.
In what may have been a telling factor, judiciary chairman Greg Woods advised the panel it could come to the view that previous gradings, for example the Uate tackle, were wrong before the three former players took 20 minutes to decide Taylor's fate.
Earlier, the panel was shown four angles of the incident as well as three "comparables" - the Uate tackle, another grade one offence by Knights half Ben Rogers and a grade two from Souths' Eddy Pettybourne.
Bellew called "pocket" referee Steve Lyons to give evidence, and the whistleblower said Anderson had contributed to the tackle's outcome by twisting and had landed initially on his shoulder.
Bellew argued the tackles by Uate and Rogers had been worse because Taylor could be shown to have intended to make a legitimate tackle, whereas the other shots were always going to be illegal.
He said if Taylor's tackle was graded higher than Uate's, the grading system was "completely out of kilter".
Prosecutor McLeod suggested that, "in the fair dinkum department", the tackle's potential for injury meant it constituted a grade two offence.
- AA

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/06/29/3256967.htm?site=sydney

Taylor Guilty of Grade Two Dangerous Throw

29 Jun 2011

2011Rd16TaylorJudiciaryDetail-e5b47c34-c391-4e9c-b664-48f9a1390664.jpg
Rabbitohs second rower David Taylor will miss the Rabbitohs' next five matches after being found guilty of a grade two dangerous throw at the NRL judiciary tonight (Wednesday).
Taylor and the Rabbitohs were contesting the grading of the charge, looking to have it downgraded to a grade one dangerous throw.
The hearing took just over an hour, at which referee Steve Lyons was called as a witness by Taylor's legal representative Geoff Bellew.
The judiciary panel of Ian Roberts, Bob Lindner and Darrell Williams deliberated for 20 minutes before passing the verdict that Taylor's tackle on Bronco Scott Anderson was a grade two offence.
Both Taylor and Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson said they were very disappointed with the outcome of the hearing.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/News/Club-News/Taylor-Guilty-of-Grade-Two-Dangerous-Throw.html

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-dangerous-throw/story-e6frexv9-1226084400412

South Sydney and Queensland Origin star Dave Taylor outed for five weeks for dangerous throw

Five weeks: Souths failed in their bid for a downgrade for this Dave Taylor tackle at the judiciary. Source: Fox Sports

DAVE Taylor was tonight unsuccessful in having a dangerous throw downgraded by the NRL judiciary and will miss a whopping five weeks.

Already forced to miss Origin III because of his tackle on Scott Anderson's during last Friday's 16-12 win over Brisbane, Taylor was hoping to have his four-week suspension slashed to just one.
Sitting out Souths' clash with Cronulla on Sunday would have allowed Taylor to play for the Maroons in next Wednesday's State of Origin decider - but only if one of their squad had suffered a genuine injury.

That small chance was obliterated by a panel that, this week, included a Queenslander - Bob Lindner - as well as Ian Roberts and Darrell Williams.

With virtually the entire South Sydney starting pack sidelined long term, the ``Coal Train's'' absence is a massive blow to the club.

He now won't play until the round 22 clash with Parramatta, missing half of the Rabbitohs' final 10 games.

"At the moment I've got no comment on it and I'll just let these guys here speak for me,'' Taylor said as he emerged from the hearing.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson, who had repeatedly shaken his head as prosecutor James McLeod summated up during the hour-long hearing, was also saying little as he made a quick exit from NRL headquarters.

"We're bitterly disappointed in the decision, it's just as simple as that,'' he said.

"You saw it all, you get to write your opinions tomorrow, we're bitterly disappointed.

"We've been without a forward pack for most of the season so we'll get somebody else to step up, simple as that.''

Taylor lawyer Geoff Bellew's argument hinged on a tackle by Newcastle's Akuila Uate on Wests Tigers player Tim Simona four weeks ago.

Uate was charged with a grade one offence for the ugly tackle, which Bellew contended was worse than Taylor's.

In what may have been a telling factor, judiciary chairman Greg Woods advised the panel they could come to the view that previous gradings, for example the Uate tackle, were wrong before the three former players took 20 minutes to decide Taylor's fate.

Earlier, the panel was shown four angles of the incident as well as three "comparables'' - the Uate tackle, another grade one offence by Knights half Ben Rogers and a grade two from Souths' Eddy Pettybourne.

Bellew called ``pocket'' referee Steve Lyons to give evidence, and the whistleblower said Anderson had contributed to the tackle's outcome by twisting and had landed initially on his shoulder.

Bellew argued the tackles by Uate and Rogers had been worse because Taylor could be shown to have intended to make a legitimate tackle, whereas the other shots were always going to be illegal.

He said if Taylor's tackle was graded higher than Uate's, the grading system was "completely out of kilter''.

Prosecutor McLeod suggested that, "in the fair dinkum department'', the tackle's potential for injury meant it constituted a grade two offence.

Mr Fourex

Bench

Prosecutor McLeod suggested that, ", the tackle's potential for injury meant it constituted a grade two offence.

LOL ....... "in the fair dinkum department''

What a tool.

So they're admitting they got the Uate grading wrong and decided Taylor was a good chance to set the record straight?

:crazy:

Bad Luck Big Dave in outstanding form, 5 WEEKS! who has heard of going to question a decision and because you do, you cope an extra week Bring on the independent commission which should have been up and running by now, The NRL “ News Limited” has to have a good look at themselves and the way they run this great game.
Stand And Be Counted !

Eelectrica

Referee
LOL ....... "in the fair dinkum department''

What a tool.

So they're admitting they got the Uate grading wrong and decided Taylor was a good chance to set the record straight?

:crazy:

Guess the judiciary is consistant after all. Consistantly wrong.
Now by there own admission. Incredible.

Taylor rubbed out for five matches

June 29, 2011 - 8:23PM

Long break ... Dave Taylor won't play again until round 22. Photo: Getty Images

Queensland's faint hopes were dashed and South Sydney's devastated after Rabbitohs forward Dave Taylor was rubbed out for five games by the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night.
Taylor was unsuccessful in his bid to have a grade two dangerous throw charge downgraded, a result which would have meant him missing just one game.
He had been charged over a tackle on Brisbane's Scott Anderson in the fifth minute of Friday night's win by the Rabbitohs in Perth.
Advertisement: Story continues below
With virtually the entire South Sydney starting pack sidelined long term, the "Coal Train's" absence is a massive blow to the club.
He now won't play until the round 22 clash with Parramatta, missing half of the Rabbitohs' final 10 games.
"At the moment I've got no comment on it and I'll just let these guys here speak for me," Taylor said as he emerged from the hearing.
"We're bitterly disappointed in the decision, it's just as simple as that," he said.
"We've been without a forward pack for most of the season so we'll get somebody else to step up, simple as that."
In what may have been a telling factor, judiciary chairman Greg Woods advised the panel they could come to the view that previous gradings, for example the Uate tackle, were wrong before the three former players took 20 minutes to decide Taylor's fate.
Earlier, the panel was shown four angles of the incident as well as three "comparables" - the Uate tackle, another grade one offence by Knights half Ben Rogers and a grade two from Souths' Eddy Pettybourne.
Bellew called "pocket" referee Steve Lyons to give evidence, and the whistleblower said Anderson had contributed to the tackle's outcome by twisting and had landed initially on his shoulder.
He said if Taylor's tackle was graded higher than Uate's, the grading system was "completely out of kilter".
Prosecutor McLeod suggested that, "in the fair dinkum department", the tackle's potential for injury meant it constituted a grade two offence.
AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ive-matches-20110629-1gqww.html#ixzz1Qfk0zksk

Blue Bagger 66

Juniors
If they were serious about previous records then Matai's blatent intentional swinging arm should have meant a 6-8 week holiday. Just another example of the inconsistency that is ruining our game. I was born into a South Sydney legacy and will be cardinal and myrtle til I die but I've defected to the AFL for now... I believe they have a better product, a heirachy that is moving forward and consistency across the board with regards to umpires etc... that's just my opinion but to me the NRL is a sinking ship and I'm just sick of my club being treated like sh*t!!

Yeah Trindall copped 7 weeks in 99. For a tackle that wasn't seen by anyone. Apparently someone sent in the footage of the tackle.

it was mid season and souths were in the 8 after that win (vs newcastle wasnt it?)

completely f**ked their season after that. he was playing very well.

BunniesMan

Immortal
FFS even the referee was a witness in our favour and it still wasn't good enough to even get a lowered grade. Absolute BS.

At least with Trindall we could put it down to a corrupt judiciary making a biased decision to suit an agenda. This decision is nothing but sheer incompetence.

Latest posts