What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor has backing for promotion

Parrasque

Juniors
Taylor has backing for promotion
By Brent Read
November 18, 2005

PARRAMATTA lower-grade coach Jason Taylor has emerged as early favourite to replace Brian Smith at the helm of the Eels after next season.

Only a month ago, chief executive Denis Fitzgerald declared the former halfback a first-grade coach in the making.

The Eels are in the market for a new coach after yesterday revealing they would not be offering Smith a contract when his existing deal runs out at the end of next year - even if the club wins the premiership.

Taylor heads the list of contenders thanks to his success in guiding Parramatta to last season's premier league title.

The wild card in the equation could be Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens, who is talking to the premier about extending his existing contract.

Sheens, off contract at the end of 2006, looms as a logical target following his reincarnation at Wests Tigers, whom he led to its maiden title this year.

It was the fourth premiership of his coaching career after three at Canberra in the late-1980s and 1990s.

Wests Tigers, who handed Sheens a lifeline in 2003, have already opened talks with him and plan to resume negotiations when he returns from an off-season break.

"Tim and I have had a number of discussions," Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said. "I have said a number of times he's the best signing the club has made."

Several other coaches are likely to throw their hat in the ring. Smith's assistant, Peter Sharp, has head coaching experience with Manly and the Northern Eagles, and would be keen to take over the top job.

In an exemplary piece of timing, Britain coach Brian Noble, who led Bradford to the Super League title this season, also revealed he was keen to test himself in the NRL.

Wigan coach Ian Millward is likely to receive an airing while former Test coach Chris Anderson is arguably the most successful coach on the open market.

In other NRL news, Canberra hooker Simon Woolford has decided to step down as captain next season.

Woolford, who has been captain of the Raiders for five seasons, said he had given up the honour to concentrate on having the best year possible after enduring a difficult 2005, spending several weeks on the sideline through suspension.

"The main reason for this decision is the fact that I've set myself a goal of having my best year at the club next year, and to do this I felt I needed to lighten my responsibility and workload off the field," Woolford said.

"It also allows me to give the future captain some support while I'm still with the club.

"Being captain of an out-of-Sydney team involves a lot of travel, so this decision will help bring some balance to my life. I started talking to (coach) Matty (Elliott) at the end of the season about it, and he has been supportive and understanding."

Elliott has ready-made captaincy candidates in evergreen utility Jason Croker and fullback Clinton Schifcofske. Halfback Lincoln Withers could also come under consideration.

"It's not an easy decision for Simon to make, but I understand and respect his reasoning behind it," Elliott said.

"By making this decision now, Simon has allowed us time to choose a successor.

"There are a couple of obvious candidates, but I'd like to consult the players to get a feel for who they'd like to lead them on to the field each week."

Canberra isn't the only side in the NRL with captaincy issues.

Manly and the Sydney Roosters are yet to name their leaders for 2006, although the Sea Eagles will give the job to Ben Kennedy when he returns from the Kangaroo tour. Roosters coach Ricky Stuart could also plump for a Tri-Nations tourist - goalkicking second-rower Craig Fitzgibbon.

Britain front rower Adrian Morley, Kangaroos utility Craig Wing and a pair of new recruits, Braith Anasta and Ashley Harrison, will also come under consideration for the post.

However, Fitzgibbon is the favourite with almost 50 per cent of voters on the club's website nominating the second rower as the man to lead the side in 2006.

from foxsports.com.au

strider

Post Whore
if we sign chris anderson i will jump off a cliff - deadset - the man is a cancer to rugby league clubs - he lost the plot years ago

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
if we sign chris anderson i will jump off a cliff - deadset - the man is a cancer to rugby league clubs - he lost the plot years ago

mate, if he lost the plot in 95 and 99 can he please lose the plot with us???

number8

Juniors
Chris Anderson = players with enourmous potential being turn into career blowing thugs. Anyone remember a Karl Lovell who was very good as an Eel?

That & Tim would only see out his existing contract before Anderson made a play for Kimmorley to come across.

Stagger eel

Staff member
just curious as to why people believe Chris Anderson is a bad coach? if he's that bad, why did he win a premiership?, twice.

number8

Juniors
eelavation said:
just curious as to why people believe Chris Anderson is a bad coach? if he's that bad, why did he win a premiership?, twice.

There's more to taking a title than the coach. Coaches become mere passengers by that time. All the talk about Smith not being any good because he hasn't got one is crap he just hasn't enjoyed the same luck as others.

Take 99 for example, if you watched the same Melbourne v Eels semi as me you would have seen the 2 tries from forward passes that got the Storm into the Grand Final. Is that good coaching or is that luck? The grand final the following week against St George you couldn't wish for more luck than the penalty try that won it for them.

Is Hagan a great coach? Stuart? Lang? Good coaches yes but amoung the greats they are not. Why not, they've each won the comp? If thats all it takes to be a good coach then we should look at chasing all these guys!

Stagger eel

Staff member
number8 said:
There's more to taking a title than the coach. Coaches become mere passengers by that time. All the talk about Smith not being any good because he hasn't got one is crap he just hasn't enjoyed the same luck as others.

Take 99 for example, if you watched the same Melbourne v Eels semi as me you would have seen the 2 tries from forward passes that got the Storm into the Grand Final. Is that good coaching or is that luck? The grand final the following week against St George you couldn't wish for more luck than the penalty try that won it for them.

Is Hagan a great coach? Stuart? Lang? Good coaches yes but amoung the greats they are not. Why not, they've each won the comp? If thats all it takes to be a good coach then we should look at chasing all these guys!

well, who do you call great that we could offer half the leagues club and some?

Hurriflatch

Referee
As long as a clause is written into C.Anderson's contract that he cannot sign Kimmorley I'd take him.

seriously tho, from that list Sheens would be the best option but also the most unlikley as the Tigers will surely sign him up some time in the next 12 months before his contract runs out.

Haven't seen much of the ESL so don't know what to make of Noble or Millward but both seem to be good coaches and have won titles.

Sharp isn't too much of a change from Smith and we might as well just kepp Brian Smith then change to Sharp as the head coach.

JT's biggest problem is lack of experience however that can be changed by having JT take over more control during 2006 so it's a smoother transfer when Smith fully steps down.

Stagger eel

Staff member
to be brutally honest, I'd be happy with any of the above mentioned if the board feel that's the direction they want to head however I would be absolutely devestated if they give the job to a Langmack or a Coleman, which I know they won't

number8

Juniors
eelavation said:
well, who do you call great that we could offer half the leagues club and some?

Is that a new question?

Of those up to speed with the modern game, Gould is retired. Bennett (no chance), & Sheens with other clubs & Smith is the guy we already have & looking to offload. No one else touches those guys. Murray, Millward & Elliot would be in the tier below them (my opininion mind you).

As to what what would lure a Sheens or Gould across I have no Idea & I don't necessarily agree with overlooking JT, Sharpe or Anderson as options. They would be a hell of a lot cheaper & would also do a fair job. Then again I never though of Smiths tenure as a problem. It's like he's all of a sudden been stamped with an expiry date just to hold off the whingers.

If were are getting rid of Brian (& we are). I'd give JT 1st shot. I think having learned from Brian & having a fair chance of maintaining the rest of the coaching staff the transition would be the smoothest of any option. That & I don't think a change is needed anyway. We are close to a title & need to build on what we have already done. Not scrap it & start over.

Anderson is a coach who has one style & can only coach within those parrameters as seen with the cronulla experiment!

The thing is with JT is that he played with the players. He could be still seen as a mate rather than a coach. Maybe he needs another 1-2 years.

The Colonel

Immortal
Jake the snake said:
The thing is with JT is that he played with the players. He could be still seen as a mate rather than a coach. Maybe he needs another 1-2 years.

Familiarity breeds contempt. For mine I'd like to see someone like Flanagan who has had the respect of the players but has been removed enough from them for a time - should they go down the way of someone untried.

number8

Juniors
The Colonel said:
Familiarity breeds contempt.

I agree in part. I mean you have too... Look at Brown at St George Illawarra!

I do think our players have come through a more disiplined system than some other clubs have got though & maybe we'd be the exception the the general rule.

I mean how many stinks do our boys get into at training or in public. I think they know they are more than lucky guys doing what they love for a crust. They are super proffessional from the get go & if any team was to adapt to a mate taking the reigns I'd like to think it would be ours.

It is a good point though. There certainly is a degree of risk involved.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think it would be interesting to have Noble as coach - if anything for who he would be able to attract from England...

But go JT!