What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylor tips Smith to rebound

Hellsy

Immortal
Couldn't see this one:

PARRAMATTA caretaker coach Jason Taylor has dropped Tim Smith to Premier League – and then backed the troubled halfback to rebound and fulfil his potential in the NRL.

Smith and teammate Mark Riddell received $5000 fines and were dropped to Premier League for Friday's match against Penrith after turning up intoxicated to yesterday afternoon's rehabilitation session, just hours before coach Brian Smith's dramatic resignation.

Already without injured captain Nathan Cayless and NSW Origin pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu for Friday night's match against Penrith, Taylor made good on a promise to give some of his lower-grade stars a chance in the NRL.
He dropped winger Matt Petersen and promoted debutant Jarryd Hayne, Luke O'Dwyer, Jeremy Smith, Zeb Taia, Josh Cordoba and Daniel Wagon.
Troubled halfback Smith has been struggling to recreate the form which won him Dally M rookie of the year honours in his debut year, with yesterday's incident coming at a time when his team needs him most.
But Taylor backed the 21-year-old to emerge from the setback a better person and player.
"I think how he reacts to what's happening at the moment will determine where he ends up," Taylor said today.
"It's easy when it's easy, but right now he's going through a tough period. "The period that he's going through isn't quite as bad as everyone wants to make out, I think (the media) have got him convinced he's playing worse than he is.
"He's just doing it a bit tough at the moment.

"He's a strong kid, he's got a great character and a great attitude. "Regardless of his performance on the field, I'm extremely confident he can go on and be the player that everyone thinks he can be because of his attitude."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19157418-23214,00.html

JT has got Tim out of personal and professinal ruts before, hopefully he can do it again

Hellsy

Immortal
and another article:

Taylor drops "unruly" Eels duo
JASON Taylor dropped misbehaving stars Tim Smith and Mark Riddell in his first act as Parramatta's caretaker coach today and warned teammates faced a similar fate if their attitude didn't improve.

Riddell and Smith also copped $5000 fines from the NRL club, having turned up intoxicated to yesterday afternoon's rehabilitation session, just hours before coach Brian Smith's dramatic resignation.

Taylor admitted the situation created by the club's decision to announce before the season that Smith would be replaced by Newcastle's Michael Hagan next year had been "enormously distracting for the players".
But he made it clear he wouldn't accept it as an excuse for players not putting in fully at training, as he believed had been the case.
"So far this season at this club we've been worrying too much about what's been happening next year," former assistant Taylor said.
"I don't think discipline is slipping but ... some of the players have gotten away with doing a little bit less than what they've done in the past and blaming other reasons for it.
"The coaching situation that has been going on here all year has been enormously distracting for the players ... (but) to use that as an excuse to not be training as hard as you could be, I don't think that's fair.
"All I'm asking as a club and as players, that they get back to working as hard as they can to be the best player they can." Already without injured captain Nathan Cayless and NSW Origin pair Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu for Friday night's match against Penrith, Taylor made good on a promise to give some of his Premier League stars a chance in the top grade.
He dropped winger Matt Petersen and promoted debutant Jarryd Hayne, Luke O'Dwyer, Jeremy Smith, Zeb Taia, Josh Cordoba and Daniel Wagon.

While the players won't be allowed to use the coaching saga as an excuse for continued poor performances, Taylor admitted it got the best of Smith.
"I know that he was trying as hard as he could but the situation was getting the better of him," said Taylor, who was given Smith's blessing to take over.
"He was giving it every bit of energy he had, but because there was so much other stuff going on, so many distractions, his 100 per cent (effort) probably wasn't good enough."
Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzgerald fined halfback Smith and hooker Ridddell after an investigation into their behaviour yesterday, the day after a loss to the Bulldogs that took the Eels' season record to 2-7.
"We did find that they had misbehaved and were intoxicated yesterday during the day," said Fitzgerald.
"They were also guilty of unruly behaviour as part of that."
Riddell and Smith apologised in a short statement but did not field questions from reporters.
"I just want to apologise first and foremost for bringing the club into disrepute," Riddell said.
"I would also like to apologise to my family, my teammates, the staff here at Parramatta, the supporters of our club, rugby league in general and the public."
Smith added: "I just want to apologise for my behaviour yesterday ... I'm very, very sorry for my actions."
Eels CEO Denis Fitzgerald denied the club was in crisis and denied Smith's resignation was linked to the incident.
"I see this as a challenge, and I've been through many challenges in the 28 years I've been here," Fitzgerald said.
"We've got a very stable club generally and I see no reason why we won't get over this hurdle and move on."
Meanwhile Newcastle chief executive Ken Conway denied Smith's resignation was a cause for concern for his club.
"It won't change our relationship for the rest of this year with Michael (Hagan) or Brian," he said. "As Parramatta are consulting Michael about retention issues we've been consulting Brian, we only have a handful of players off contract this year, so it's not a major issue."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19155270-23214,00.html

parra pete

Referee
JT has said EXACTLY what I have said in the past. We should be concentrating on what's happening this year, and worry about 2007 when it gets here.
As Jack Gibson said "Let's dance with who we brung to the party".
I know of no wiser Rugby League man (apart from Suity :lol:) than the great J Gibson.

bartman

Immortal
JT said:
"I think how he reacts to what's happening at the moment will determine where he ends up," Taylor said today.
"It's easy when it's easy, but right now he's going through a tough period."
That's right. Tim's future is in his own hands now. Stand up, and he might be(come) a champion halfback, fail to do so and he'll unfortunately just be another guy with unfulfilled potential. Fingers crossed...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
exactly what I thought, hopefully this is where he turns the corner

JT is the man to get Timmy through this

Unreal V

Juniors
I understand the need for decipline, but with Tahu, Hindmarsh and possible Grothe out for the next game can we really afford to lose Riddel and Smith. Every game is an opportunity that we cannot aford to squander; is there some other way?

The Colonel

Immortal
Unreal V said:
I understand the need for decipline, but with Tahu, Hindmarsh and possible Grothe out for the next game can we really afford to lose Riddel and Smith. Every game is an opportunity that we cannot aford to squander; is there some other way?

What's done is done. While it makes it all the more difficult for the game on Friday night there has to have been a distinct lack of discipline up to this point for something like this to have occured. Strong measures need to be taken...... you can't go soft just because someone else is out - it sends a message to all of them to pick their acts up.

Sean7

Juniors
I have to say I like hearing Jason Taylor talk. It makes me wish he'd been the coach from the start of the year. Brian Smith would never really say anything (apart from defending big losses), but Taylor seems to have a very realistic view of what's going on.

I also find it amusing that he dropped Peterson immediately after he got the job. Brian Smith appeared to have an "everything will work itself out in the end" approach to his team/selections.

Hellsy

Immortal
JT definately is a more personable person, but Brian is very much an introvert, he says alot more in person that what he does on camera

Latest posts