What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Taylors' job safe at Souths - CEO

coach

By Andrew Webster
July 05, 2009 12:00am

SOUTH Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson has taken the extraordinary step of apologising to club members for the diabolical defeat against the Wests Tigers - but he insists coach Jason Taylor's job is safe.

The nature of their fifth straight defeat - a 54-20 loss to the Tigers - and the avalanche of points conceded in the second half at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night meant the acid is being applied to Taylor like never before.
While Richardson conceded the result was "unacceptable", he dismissed claims Taylor was about to sacked and rubbished talk of a player revolt.
"I can't make it any clearer, we are not going to sack the coach,"

Richardson said. "We are all in this together, from the players to the coach to the chief executive. His job is safe.

"There's no doubt we are in a terrible position, and we're all under pressure. For that, I would like to apologise to our members. But the last thing we need to do is sack JT and start cannibalising and back-stabbing one another. We've been in worse positions than this."

Taylor was handed the job in 2007. In his first season, he elevated Souths to seventh and their first finals appearance since 1989. But last year, they finished third last.

As foreshadowed in The Daily Telegraph last week, it is understood there is growing unrest among players over a strict alcohol policy and Taylor's decision to sack assistant coach Mark Ellison after this season.

Privately, some players were miffed about the decision to bench five-eighth John Sutton early in the second half, as well as Taylor's description that the performance against the Tigers "wasn't up to NRL standard".

There is also simmering tension about the future of Craig Wing at the club. "That's absolute rubbish," Richardson said when asked if Taylor had lost the faith of his players.

Taylor yesterday dismissed claims of a tough week, when he told The Footy Show: "It is if you read the papers."

Meanwhile, the club is certain to lose mobile front-rower Michael Greenfield, who has agreed to terms with St George Illawarra after Souths failed to make him an offer.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25737224-5001023,00.html

ironmandreamer

Juniors
I would like an explanation as to why Jason Taylor's job as Head Coach is safe? The player's decision making is unacceptable and this is a direct reflection of the coaching/training of the team. The Coach isn't improving one individual nor getting the best out of the player group as a whole and if we don't make an immediate change at the top we will not be able to keep any player we want to keep nor attract better players to the club.

Nickmm

Juniors
I would like an explanation as to why Jason Taylor's job as Head Coach is safe? The player's decision making is unacceptable and this is a direct reflection of the coaching/training of the team. The Coach isn't improving one individual nor getting the best out of the player group as a whole and if we don't make an immediate change at the top we will not be able to keep any player we want to keep nor attract better players to the club.

Exactly, the longer Taylor stays the worse it will be for the players mentally, it wont take long for the winners in the team to get that losing mentality
He needs to go now, yesterday.

hunters

Juniors
Yeehaa!!! It's always the last thing the CEO says before sacking the coach. I hope Richo doesn't break this proud tradition.

Dave Q

Coach
Yeehaa!!! It's always the last thing the CEO says before sacking the coach. I hope Richo doesn't break this proud tradition.

Chamberlain waved Hitler's guarantee around when he got off the plane and most of the world was at war shortly thereafter.

I still dont think its all Taylor, but someone has to fall on the sword, thats the way these things are done.

Aso and Frog should be in the bears next week, but I doubt they will be.

Meantime, Sutto going back to lock would be an admission of failure.

Doesnt matter, in times like this, when its hitting the fan, I love this club even more.

I hope everybody is backing up for the Panthers massacre.

Achillies

Juniors
Sack both Taylor and Richo then. It was Richo who masterminded the signings of Galavo,Rogers,the Lowe Boys,J Smith,Widders and Kidwell. The guy is well past his used by date and has no clue. He knows as much about players as he does about coaches.

Sugar

Bench
Rumour around the net at the moment is that JT will be replaced by Shane Flanagan next week

Dave Q

Coach
Rumour around the net at the moment is that JT will be replaced by Shane Flanagan next week

Time to log onto the private souths forums where the spies lie thick in the shadows.

I dont blame Taylor 100% but thats not the point, I now recognise that the point is that we are fugged.... and looking for a way out of the mess that is this season.

Started so strongly, people were jealous of us.

if we get a new coach is Ellison back?

boo_boo

Juniors
Sack both Taylor and Richo then. It was Richo who masterminded the signings of Galavo,Rogers,the Lowe Boys,J Smith,Widders and Kidwell. The guy is well past his used by date and has no clue. He knows as much about players as he does about coaches.

Wise words my friend.
Richo is no Rabbit.

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
I hope you are 100% right Sugar because he would be my pick I heard this a couple of weeks ago this guy can Coach he is no dud & the players like to play for him that is the biggest mistake Parramatta made when he applied they gave it to Anderson & not him so maybe that old saying could be true so one else's loss is somebody else's gain

My biggest question was......why did Taylor toy with the positions last weekend when previously the boys had displayed some glimpses of brilliance - consistancy please, or start dropping underperformers.

Merritt - awesome at fullback over Capewell, Simpson - two doubles out on the wing in consecutive weeks. Why not Capewell at 5/8th, Sutton to centre or lock? I'm so bloody confused as to just what this coach is trying to achieve - it's like moving the deckchairs 'round the Titanic, but we still sink!

I'll just be pleased when the MIGHTY Maroons whitewash in Origin III so we can get our two best players back!