What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team Changes for Eels v Tigers

Hurriflatch

Referee
Second-rower Mark O'Neill, concussed against Melbourne two rounds ago, is still in the Wests Tigers side for tomorrow's clash with the Eels, with a decision due tomorrow. Anthony Laffranchi would start in his place.

Parramatta centre Junior Langi (thumb) is in doubt, with Ben Smith again a possible replacement.

Utey

Coach
Yeh Smith is a bit liked that giving players to the last minute to prove their health. Why is Langi there he isnt going to be with us next year. Why dont we just put Odwyer or Smith there to fight out the centre spot for next year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I've said in a previous thread that if the 05 team was chosen tomorrow I would have Burt partnering Tahu in the centres, however I strongly believe that Smith and O'Dwyer could well be 1 big game away from a permanent spot!! but I need to be convinced that they can turn it on in the big time.

Utey

Coach
Burt has adjusted well but physically his to small, these days coaches play their big props on centre formations like Sonny Bill against us Round 1, they just run over burt. His best at Wing if at all.

Adam Spadam

Juniors
Burt's size isn't his defensive problem in my opinion, because he's pretty well built. I think it comes down to technique and belief and attitude, those type of things. Either way his defense is his weakness, and wing or fullback would suit him better at the moment.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Adam Spadam said:
Burt's size isn't his defensive problem in my opinion, because he's pretty well built. I think it comes down to technique and belief and attitude, those type of things. Either way his defense is his weakness, and wing or fullback would suit him better at the moment.

Mate I agree 100%.

I've said it before - I truly believe Burt's biggest issue in defense is that he just isn't aggressive enough.

I mean, look at McKinnon - he's not the biggest bloke, but he has strong defense. Why? God technique and aggression.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I mean, people say Burt is small.

He isn't huge, but he has bulked up.

Look at Hodgson in attack now - he makes line-breaks and busts tackles, and is probably smaller than Burt.

Much the same with Wade in defense.

Burt has talent - a lot of it.

He just needs to get some aggression in his game.

thedux

Juniors
size has nothing to do with it; guys like langer, toovey, buderus, swain etc have proved that 100 times over. He obviously just doesn't like that aspect of the game, which some players don't. Let's be honest, BS hasn't got him the side to increase the intimidation factor.

Pazza

First Grade
My line up would be:

1.Mckinnon
2.Burt
3.Smith
4.O'Dwyer
5.Petersen
6.Wagon
7.Witt
8.Moimoi
9.Hopkins
10.Vella
11.Hindmarsh
12.Stapleton
13.Afasamaga

14.Widders
15.Mateo
16.Pearson
17.Tsoulos

Phillips

Referee
Yeh Smith is a bit liked that giving players to the last minute to prove their health. Why is Langi there he isnt going to be with us next year. Why dont we just put Odwyer or Smith there to fight out the centre spot for next year.

so what if Langi is not going to be here next season...stapleton wont be here either, does that mean we should punt him from first grade..same with Lee Hopkins

Phillips

Referee
that makes no sence..... #-o

Langi is better then Ben Smith so he has every right to be there

Hurriflatch

Referee
Couple more bits of news about team changes for the game - both from SMH

PARRAMATTA v WESTS TIGERS Parramatta Stadium, tonight 7.35

Wests Tigers second-rower Mark O'Neill (concussion) is out. "He was pretty much a long shot all week," coach Tim Sheens said. "He trained on Tuesday and didn't recover too well." No replacement has been named. "I want to keep that close to my chest at this stage - we've got a few ideas," Sheens said. Parramatta centre Junior Langi (wrist) isn't expected to play, with Ben Smith his replacement.

Just further confirms the expected

while the Eels will be without playmaker John Morris after he suffered a fracture to his right leg against Melbourne.

"He went pretty well last week when Johnny was injured," Wagon said of replacement hooker Lee Hopkins.

"He'll be right after a full week of training and will be able to offer something from dummy half."

Now this + the piece of news from the Training Session that Witt was seen playing at 5/8 outside Thorman. Suggests to me we will see something like

1. Wade McKinnon
2. Ashley Graham
19. Ben Smith
4. Luke Burt
5. Matt Petersen
18. Michael Witt
7. Chris Thorman
8. Corey Pearson
13. Lee Hopkins
10. Michael Vella
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Craig Stapleton