What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team for first Ashes Test

Aussie_Knight

Juniors
The team:
Darren Lockyer (c), Shannon Hegarty, Craig Wing, Phil Bailey, Anthony Minichiello, Craig Gower, Brett Kimmorley, Shane Webcke, Danny Buderus, Robbie Kearns, Craig Fitzgibbon, Steve Simpson, Luke Ricketson. Interchange: Petero Civoniceva, Trent Waterhouse, Willie Mason, Michael Crocker.

AUSTRALIAN coach Chris Anderson dropped the first selection bombshell of this year's Ashes rugby league series when he named Craig Wing in the centres for the first Test with Great Britain on Sunday (AEST).

Wing - surprise Test role.

Anderson also named two debutants – Penrith forward Trent Waterhouse and Sydney Roosters utility Michael Crocker – in the 17-man squad for the game at Wigan's JJB Stadium.

But Wing's selection in the centres was the biggest surprise.

The 23-year-old has played three Tests, all off the interchange bench, and admitted today he couldn't remember if he had ever played in the centres in his first grade career.

But Anderson had few options after Ryan Girdler re-injured his calf muscle during the Kangaroos' 76-4 win over Wales yesterday.

"We were a bit unfortunate with Ryan Girdler and I thought Wingy did a really good job for us and the way we want to play will suit what we want to do," Anderson said.

"He's a utility...but he's quite happy to play there for us. He's a quality player and we need him on the pitch."

Cronulla centre Phil Bailey, was also selected to make his starting debut while Craig Gower, was named at five-eighth after striking up a quality partnership with Brett Kimmorley in their limited time together.

Three players – Michael DeVere, Matt Sing and Richard Villasanti – have been dropped from the side which lost the Test to New Zealand two weeks ago.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,7764539-23214,00.html

~bedsy~

First Grade
I don't agree with Wing being in the centres.. and I still can't believe that Mason hasn't been dropped.
Other than that it's not a bad side.... however I hope Kimmorly is shit and Gower takes charge.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Bring ricky stuart out of retirement and put him at halfback and he can be captain coach. Anderson and Kimmorley problem solved in one hit.

Innconu

Juniors
="GoKnightsSo what if he kept Joey out of Origin half back all those years.. He was in better form and has a MUCH Better attitude to his game than Joey.. You NEVER See Kimmorley spit a dummy or turn up late or not at all for training or games etc.... Kimmorley has worked HARD all his career.. and whilst a class talent .. he's not as GIFTED as Johns. but is much more reliable!

Johns works on his game more then most players. When he was in one tour team with Brett the comment was made by Brett how hard Joey worked compared to all other players including himself. Johns and matthew used to train 4 hrs a day extra.

Do not make comments about players work ethics until you actually watch them train. I have never seen how much work Brett puts in cause he never palyed 1st grade in Newcastle except for the Maggots I mean Mariners

I'll continue hijacking this thread:

A mate and I went down to Alder Park a few years ago to kick the footy aruond and Matthew Johns was there practicing sprints and jinking for the 2 hours we were there. As soon as we'd had enough of mucking around we went to walk past him to go home and he basically stopped us and wanted to kick the footy around with us for a while.

Now, how much of Kimmorley's work ethic is actually hard work, and how much of it is gifted to him by Anderson? How had Kimmorley gone under other coaches? How has former second string halves to him gone since they were forced out? Both Orford and Campbell have achieved more in the last 2 seasons than Kimmorley has, but I'm sure Kimmorley can always fall back on years gone by.

~bedsy~

First Grade
GoKnights said:
bedsy said:
I don't agree with Wing being in the centres.. and I still can't believe that Mason hasn't been dropped.
Other than that it's not a bad side.... however I hope Kimmorly is sh*t and Gower takes charge.

With Kimmorley, Gower and Wing - that would have to be the smallest 3 inside backs that I have seen in a Test Team.... But as for attacking flair and ability - imagine trying to contain one of thm let alone all three..... Sounds like a GREAT Idea.. Kimmorly has his knockers and Gower is a form player.. but Brett wont let us down. We ALL forget he is a Newcastle / Lakes product and bron & bred Novacastrain.. So remember that next time you boo him onto Marathon......... So what if he kept Joey out of Origin half back all those years.. He was in better form and has a MUCH Better attitude to his game than Joey.. You NEVER See Kimmorley spit a dummy or turn up late or not at all for training or games etc.... Kimmorley has worked HARD all his career.. and whilst a class talent .. he's not as GIFTED as Johns. but is much more reliable!
I couldn't give a toss that his a Novo.. he has been rude to me, my dad and bro... plus other people that I know... That's why I hate him.
I can't stand rude players.

bedsy said:
GoKnights said:
bedsy said:
Other than that it's not a bad side.... however I hope Kimmorly is sh*t and Gower takes charge.

With Kimmorley, Gower and Wing - that would have to be the smallest 3 inside backs that I have seen in a Test Team.... But as for attacking flair and ability - imagine trying to contain one of thm let alone all three..... Sounds like a GREAT Idea.. Kimmorly has his knockers and Gower is a form player.. but Brett wont let us down. We ALL forget he is a Newcastle / Lakes product and bron & bred Novacastrain.. So remember that next time you boo him onto Marathon......... So what if he kept Joey out of Origin half back all those years.. He was in better form and has a MUCH Better attitude to his game than Joey.. You NEVER See Kimmorley spit a dummy or turn up late or not at all for training or games etc.... Kimmorley has worked HARD all his career.. and whilst a class talent .. he's not as GIFTED as Johns. but is much more reliable!
I couldn't give a toss that his a Novo.. he has been rude to me, my dad and bro... plus other people that I know... That's why I hate him.
I can't stand rude players.
I cant stand kimorly either i heard hes a rude player as well cant stand rude players either. But the thing that piss's me off the most is sinces hes been at the sharks every thing has been given to him on a silver plate first preston Camble gets drop as half back dally m the year be 4 and this year gets captain becoase aprently peachy doesnt want it any more.

Latest posts