What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday ~ Rnd 12 vs Raiders ~ The Clinton Schifcofske Cup

the phantom menace

First Grade
He's still a top 17 selection, if not starting 13, and we also don't know if he is/has been playing busted. Let's face it, our stocks below brown aren't yet ready for regular/consistent first grade, and we'll need him and one of them when Paulo is selected for Origin.

For next year with Papali'i not yet replaced and Matterson not yet re-signed, Brown may still be top 17 in the pecking order, decline or not. I don't think we need to try and get rid of him, but if delcine is expected or continues then we'd hopefully give him certainty that he won't be extended well (a year?) in advance of his contract end, and be flexible about what happens.

He'll only have just turned 30 at the start of next season. And the club played hardball with his last contract, refusing to budge, so I doubt we'll be too worried about a decline and trying to offload him.

Gronk

Staff member
Brown been in decline since early last season. He used to quite often be our MOM or nearly always our top 3 players.
Maybe once this year he had been in our top 5. The guys finished and hopefully we can tap him on the shoulder and he gets a deal in the UK. I reckon the 2yr contract was cause the club felt it maybe the case. But now wish they pulled the pin completely and he wasn't even here this season.
I reckon he’s been playing great this year, but is playing injured over the past month. It will be a tough time for us managing niggles over the origin period. Players like Emu and Rodwell will need to play up.

Noise

Coach
I reckon he’s been playing great this year, but is playing injured over the past month. It will be a tough time for us managing niggles over the origin period. Players like Emu and Rodwell will need to play up.
Great? He’s only averaging 11 hitups a game and only made 4 tackle busts all year. His attack is turning into plod territory.
His tackle efficiency is good at 93% averaging 27 tackles a game.

Gronk

Staff member
Great? He’s only averaging 11 hitups a game and only made 4 tackle busts all year. His attack is turning into plod territory.
His tackle efficiency is good at 93% averaging 27 tackles a game.
Sorry, his stats don’t tell how he led the line speed, tough carries and hard tackles. As I said he is playing busted like a whole bunch this time of year.

Stats are a very convenient tool when his game time has been reduced from 60 mins to 30 mins because of injury management. Compare Storm game 3 to Manly game last week. He is clearly not running freely.

hindy111

Post Whore
He'll only have just turned 30 at the start of next season. And the club played hardball with his last contract, refusing to budge, so I doubt we'll be too worried about a decline and trying to offload him.

I bet Pou $100. I'll take another bet with you. $50 says Brown gets offloaded before 2023.

I don't care about his age. Seen plenty of guys retire by 29 cause they basicaly where had it.
Mannah was 30 when he spent rest of his time in NSW cup. 30 isn't young for a guy who plays physical and bashed his body in the middle against bigger men.
Players are at peak between 22-28. After that it's a lottery. Ferguson is 32. His last two season where very ordinary at age 30 and 31. The decline was rapid. And the Roosters saw it coming. Same as Jenning. By his late 20s he was still excellent but not explosive as prior.

hindy111

Post Whore

Had 2 good games. Rest been no better then Makatoa or Kafusi. Niggling injuries is something he always has nowdays. It's not am excuse if they are their all the time.

Maybe he will turn it around but I reckon signs where showing from back end of 2020.

hindy111

Post Whore
Sorry, his stats don’t tell how he led the line speed, tough carries and hard tackles. As I said he is playing busted like a whole bunch this time of year.

Stats are a very convenient tool when his game time has been reduced from 60 mins to 30 mins because of injury management. Compare Storm game 3 to Manly game last week. He is clearly not running freely.

He doesn't bend the line. Doesn't take off as quick anymore either. His less minutes have more to do with there are better players who deserve longer minutes.

Gronk

Staff member
He doesn't bend the line. Doesn't take off as quick anymore either. His less minutes have more to do with there are better players who deserve longer minutes.
You have a black and white mentality. Try examining things at a deeper level and consider that there are alternatives to your immediate conclusions.

hindy111

Post Whore
You have a black and white mentality. Try examining things at a deeper level and consider that there are alternatives to your immediate conclusions.

What is there to examine. He is close to 30 and his dip in form has been for over 18mths. This was a guy always talked for origin. Wouldn't make the side if you named 3 teams now.
If he does come good it will be a short spurt. Why I'd try and offload. He is on big coin. Would be over 550k. The chances of getting good value from his is very small now.

It is about risk management. I'd rather of thrown 550k on a young buck like Papali'i.
It's a young man's game

Noise

Coach

I stated his defence has been good. You said he has been great this year. What has been great about his attack?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I guess if a player's MO is to continually run through brick walls, or should I say chase the collision, he probably not gonna have the longest playing career

Happy MEel

First Grade
What is there to examine. He is close to 30 and his dip in form has been for over 18mths. This was a guy always talked for origin. Wouldn't make the side if you named 3 teams now.
If he does come good it will be a short spurt. Why I'd try and offload. He is on big coin. Would be over 550k. The chances of getting good value from his is very small now.

It is about risk management. I'd rather of thrown 550k on a young buck like Papali'i.
It's a young man's game
…or Matto or Niukore. They’re all better players than Nrown.

Gronk

Staff member
I stated his defence has been good. You said he has been great this year. What has been great about his attack?
I already said that he leads the line speed and hits theirs with vigour. Does every middle need to make line breaks, tackle breaks when they have Jnr, Reg, Matto all offering second phase ? Very small sample size to say that he has regressed, considering he was dynamic in the early rounds vs Storm and later vs Penrith. It's clear that he is busted and unsure why there is a queue to sledge him. OK I do really.

hindy111

Post Whore
I already said that he leads the line speed and hits theirs with vigour. Does every middle need to make line breaks, tackle breaks when they have Jnr, Reg, Matto all offering second phase ? Very small sample size to say that he has regressed, considering he was dynamic in the early rounds vs Storm and later vs Penrith. It's clear that he is busted and unsure why there is a queue to sledge him. OK I do really.

When you cost close to 600k then yes you want more then leading the line speed for 15mins. That's based on 30mins a game and 50% possesion.

hindy111

Post Whore
Reality is he was dropped cause BA knows he is playing gash. He is under the microscope and being watched.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Nrown finished last season not in the greatest form…..then we learnt:

He was pretty good to start this year and don’t think he is playing that poor (but yes down in form)….I reckon he has an injury

Latest posts