What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday: Rnd 13 vs Knights

Gazzamatta

Coach
The strength of his runs have surprised me this year. I’ll reckon he’ll go alright.
And I've seen a similar spread in The 2s with Dunster caught infield trying to defend 2 or 3. It will be interesting indeed. That said The Knights look weak. Should be a cake walk for Old Boys Day.

Parra Cheeses

Juniors
Fergo is a scapegoat of inept defensive structures. If he stays on his wing they score inside him. Fergus has plenty to offer we just need his inside men defending wider.

Parra Cheeses

Juniors
I reckon last week was about getting our best defensive centre alongside Jake Arthur (and probably Ferguson too). When Blake arrived at the club Mennings (our best defender) was on the left helping rookies Sivo and Drown. Now that Drown is our best defensive half he moved over to the right to help that side, but with Drown replaced by Arthur we suddenly had our best defenders all on the left. Of course teams were going to attack our right side. So we moved Opacic. I wonder if Opacic will move back to the left now that Drown is back, or if he will stay on the right to help Dunster.
Not forgetting we played 60 minutes with 12

Apey

Staff member
Dont think you guys will have to worry about your team defending too much on Sunday.

lingard

Coach
1. It weakens our middle rotations.
2. Marata prefers the middle (morale).
3. He also provides outside back cover if on the bench.
3. The psychology of having a player on elite centre money playing reserve grade.
4. The fact that Marata hasn’t been heavily targeted or tested in the position and;
5. The fact that Blake is RIDICULOUSLY talented and has untapped potential, though it hasn’t been seen to that level or close to consistently.

1. It might somewhat weaken our middle rotation, but our forwards are going fine without Marata.
2.. Anthony Milford is ridiculously talented and has untapped potential. So has Ash Taylor. So do many players. Means bugger all. How long do you wait, and how many losses are you prepared to suffer while waiting for him to show his 'potential'?
3. If Marata prefers middle, he can play there - next year, when we address the right centre problem.
4. I've never understood (and never will) the idea of playing someone in first grade just because of the money they are on. Waqa big money in reserve grade = waste of money; but at the same time Papalii in first grade on small money = bonus. What you lose on the Ferris wheel ……
5. Marata hasn't been heavily targeted? Is that really a logical reason to replace him with someone (Waqa) who has failed every test put to him so far - just because he's supposed to be a 'highly talented' centre, and Marata is supposed to be a forward?
6. I think I got my numbers mixed up.

lingard

Coach
The thinking is that Niukore is a front rower, and therefore our worst defensive centre of the three. If he looked better it's because he was never tested. He certainly never defended outside Jake Arthur. How could you know he was any good if he never faced any overlaps?

Simple. Waqa has failed every test put to him so far. Also, my understanding is that Marata played a decent amount of centre as a junior - so he's not exactly naïve to the position.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And I've seen a similar spread in The 2s with Dunster caught infield trying to defend 2 or 3. It will be interesting indeed. That said The Knights look weak. Should be a cake walk for Old Boys Day.
The Manly loss was frustrating but not concerning (for me anyway). The Souths loss means absolutely f**k all in the grand scheme of things. They have a better team and should have won. But we're f**ked if we lose to the Knights. It will be alarm bells even for a unicorn fluffer like myself.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
1. It might somewhat weaken our middle rotation, but our forwards are going fine without Marata.
Without RCG, and then with Kaufusi only playing for 16 minutes last week, we're lucky we had Niukore in the middle or we would've had 50 put on us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Simple. Waqa has failed every test put to him so far.
He was poor in the previous two games but he was good against Souths, with a solid 42 fantasy points. Looks like he's back in form and fitness.
Also, my understanding is that Marata played a decent amount of centre as a junior - so he's not exactly naïve to the position.
He was converted to the forwards because he doesn't have the tools for the outside backs. But it's certainly good that he's able to fill in. Very few teams can afford to carry first graders outside their top 17 and I understand Opacic was supposed to be our backup centre this year until Mennings was cancelled.

Soto

Bench
I'm sure he plays for us on Sunday and then flies to Townsville to be part of the extended squad. Best outcome for us but not for Reed. He will however learn a truckload by being in Origin camp and only make him hungrier. His time will come..Harry Grant is not exactly immune to spending a fair amount of time on the sidelines. Surprised Ben Hunt was not selected in the extended Qld squad

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Also think Ryan Matterson has been a let down. Does absolutely nothing. He’s got the skill but doesn’t get involved.
He was playing better at the Tigers.
He has been used horribly in attack in all his time here, it would be nice to have a half capable of putting someone in a gap.