What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team named vs Panthers

dubby

Bench
PLUM AND PICKER IN FOR GREEN MACHINE
Tuesday 18 Mar 2008 13:57
by (Press Release)
Source: www.raiders.com.au

Second row forwards Nigel Plum and Joe Picker will make their 2008 season debuts for the Canberra Raiders on Saturday afternoon against the Penrith Panthers, after Glen Turner and Neville Costigan were ruled out today through injury.

Marshall Chalk has been elevated to the starting line-up for the injured Turner, who is set to miss between 4-6 weeks with an ankle injury, while Nigel Plum replaces the injured Neville Costigan, who will miss between 6-8 weeks after re-injuring his quad on Saturday night against the Knights.

With Chalk's elevation to the starting line-up Joe Picker comes onto the Raiders bench, with tough forward Trevor Thurling being named as 18th man for the Green Machine.

Raiders Coach Neil Henry said although the loss of Turner and Costigan was significant, he was confident both Plum and Picker would fit nicely into the squad.

"We have some depth in the back row and Marshall Chalk was pretty good when he was there last week, and Nigel Plum comes back from a shoulder reconstruction so he's fit and raring to go," Henry said. "Joe Picker is also in the back ground ready to go from the bench. We have a little bit of depth which you would hope at the start of the year and hopefully we don't get any more injuries."

After injuring his ribs on Saturday night Lincoln Withers will train with the team tomorrow to prove his fitness, while in some good news for the Raiders, Scott Logan has been cleared of any serious knee damage and will take his spot in the starting line-up.

Withers said he's confident of being fit for the match, and will test it out in training later this week.

"It's a bit painful still but I'll train this week and consult the medical staff and go from there," Withers said. "Its one of those injuries where you have to put up with the pain factor and I'll have to check it out with the doctor and then talk to Neil."

William Zillman will undergo tests later in the week after suffering concussion against the Knights, but is expected to take his place at fullback against the Panthers.

NRL TELSTRA PREMIERSHIP
Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
CUA Stadium, Saturday March 22, 5.30pm

1. William Zillman
2. Colin Best
3. Phil Graham
4. Joel Monaghan
5. Adrian Purtell
6. Terry Campese
7. Todd Carney
8. Troy Thompson
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Scott Logan
11. Marshall Chalk
12. Nigel Plum
13. Alan Tongue (c)

Subs:
14. Joe Picker
15. Josh Miller
16. Dane Tilse
17. Michael Weyman
18. Trevor Thurling
(one to be omitted)

Coach: Neil Henry

Surprised to see Linc there!

Anyway guys, I think our pack is too small; Tonguey, Plum and Chalk are not as big as the likes of Woolnough, Petero, Puletuas, Pritchard. We will struggle until Weyman comes on to get over the advantage line. Logan will be ok but I am concerned over his knee. Thommo aint no yard gainer either.

So, with the Penrith kicking game being so crap our backs should not be tested so much this week, I just hope the speedy guys dont run at our slugs in Monas and Turtell.

I still think we will lose, and by quite a bit. Panthers by 13+

matt

Juniors
thanks for the write up dubs....:D

i am just going to say one thing on this team

nah bugger it ill save my breath.

legend

Coach
Apart from Chalk and Withers, I quite like the look of the team. I rate Plum and Picker so I think we are in good hands in the middle. This game will be won and lost in the halves. If Carney and Campese fire, we win.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Wouldn't be surprised to see Logan out and Thurling included as well as Chalk dropped back to bench. I like the look if the side if that is the case as it has more mobility and hopefully durability, which will be factor against Penrith. Some of the backs need to lift and it also a great chance for Carney and Campese to fire against suspect halves. Could TLL be a late inclusion as well. Canberra 13+!!!

Raider_69

Post Whore
I suspect Chalk will be a last minute drop back to the bench and Plum will actually start the match.
Hinchcliffe will come in if Linc cant play and Thurling is clearly there to cover Logan... id much rather see Logan play and Miller dropped for Thurling

dubby

Bench
I think sydraider has a point (and r69), Logan may be rested. No point busting the big guy (Logan) early in the year. Give young Trev a go, although he aint as big as I'd like against the Panthers pack.

Legend, do you think Campo-Carney is the best halves combo we have?

choc_soldier

Coach
1. Rhys Wesser 2. Luke Rooney 3. Brad Tighe 4. Michael Jennings 5. Mark O'Halloran 6. Maurice Blair 7. Jarrod Sammut 8. Brendan Worth 9. Luke Priddis 10. Petero Civoniceva (C) 11. Trent Waterhouse 12. Frank Pritchard 13. Nathan Smith.

Interchange: 14. Paul Aiton 15. Tony Puletua 16. Adam Woolnough 17. Frank Puletua 18. Matthew Bell

Paullyboy

Coach
Campo is a lock, that's about it. Unfortunately Tongue is a lock as well so there really isnt room for both of them on the starting field (and before anyone suggests it - Tongue is not a hooker).

Raider_69

Post Whore
TBh much better team they what played last week

Maurice Blair at 5/8th and Sammut at half?
another poor halves combination but they'll be better without Joey Williams in the side. Who is a train wreck.

We must target this combination big time... There isnt a very good long kick in that side

legend

Coach
Agreed but they do have a much bigger pack than us so we have to hold the middle and let our halves take the upper hand.

dubby

Bench
The Panthers have selected nippy halves....surprise surprise what their tactics will be. And I bet it works too.

So Legend, what do you think of the TC-TC halves combo??

Raider_69

Post Whore
Being the smaller pack isnt a bad thing here... With TC's long kicking game, we can pin them back and forced the big lumbering forwards to cover alot of ground getting back into position, our smaller and more mobile pack will be ok running up and back all game

Tongue, Miller, Plum, Chalk, Thompson, Picker and Thurling if he gets a go... all very fit and capible of playing big minutes. Its a real work horse pack for us. Logan and Weyman will be used in 20 minutes bursts id say.
And we've still got some size about us, Logan, Weyman and Tilse are big boys... and Picker's not exactly tiny. We'll be ok in the size department. If we can shift the ball side to side, we'll find alot of lazy defenders in the middle for the panthers.

Bay56

First Grade
dubby said:
The Panthers have selected nippy halves....surprise surprise what their tactics will be. And I bet it works too.

Agree dubster ... and if it does who do you blame.

Latest posts