What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team V panthers trial

The Colonel

Immortal
That is the sort of defensive effort I expect in trials as opposed to what was dished up last week. I don't care if we won or lose. I do expect an effort. From reports that was much better.

EelsFan05

Bench
This is how I saw it, bearing in mind I am not really up to date on many of the reserve graders. The majority of the game was played in terrible conditions.

We started off a bit shaky but got into the game pretty quickly, especially defensively. Hayne scored from a great little Sandow chip kick that came down right on the line. Hayne definitely took a back seat on the play making side. Sandow and the young 5/8 were given the reigns and for most part Sandow played well and kicked really well.

Lussick was the best forward in the opening stages and Morgan ran some good hard lines, however didn't pass to the unmarked winger on a number of occasions. Our wingers did not look comfortable defusing kicks. Tonga was non existent and there was a bit of a joke how clean his jersey always seemed considering the weather. When Loko came on he made an instant impact and in my books was our best player. He ran hard and carried defenders every time.

Penrith's first try came from a stupid pass thrown by Paulo that was scooped up by a Panthers players who ran 75 meters to score. Paulo was very average and looked to be overplaying his hand especially in the conditions. Their second try came from a great cross field kick that found one of three completely open backs to score. By this time I could not recognise three quarters of our team.

Big positives were our defence especially when we had Ryan in the bin. Our ruck and line speed is much much quicker then last year. No one seemed to get injured. To me Sio, Blair, Ryan and Morgan still are very raw.

Last edited:

Forty20

First Grade
NRL Match Report: Eels vs Panthers
Eels Digital
Saturday 23 February 2013 6:59 PM

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels have warmed up for the 2013 NRL season with a 10-10 draw against the Penrith Panthers in their final trial match. The Eels put in a much improved performance after last week's 41-4 loss against Wests Tigers.

New NRL boss David Smith was among the small but vocal crowd as the two western Sydney rivals slugged it out in dour conditions at a rain-soaked Centrebet Stadium in an otherwise entertaining 80 minute contest.

Captaincy appears to agree with Jarryd Hayne. The star fullback scored the opening try of the match from a Chris Sandow kick, was heavily involved throughout and displayed his leadership qualities, vindicating Ricky Stuart's decision to hand him the role alongside Reni Maitua.

"We're taking small steps but it was a lot better effort than last week. Defensively, we spent a lot of time this week working in that department - and it really showed out there tonight," Hayne said.

The Eels went into halftime leading 10-6 after tries to Hayne and Cheyse Blair. Penrith's first try came against the run of play when Wes Naiqama swooped on a loose pass from Joesph Paulo in the 21st minute.

Frustrations boiled over a few times in the second half with Parramatta backrower Matt Ryan spending time in the sin-bin for repeated infringements around the play the ball, while Penrith enforcer Tim Grant and Eels club captain Tim Mannah were also involved in a couple of minor scuffles.

A late try in the corner by Dave Simmons off a Tom Humble kick in the dying stages allowed the Panthers to level the scores at 10-all, spoiling the Eels chances of recording their first pre-season victory.

The focus now turns to Parramatta's round one clash against the New Zealand Warriors on March 9 at Parramatta Stadium.

Parramatta 10 (Jarryd Hayne, Cheyse Blair tries; Chris Sandow one goal)
Penrith 10 (Wes Naiqama, David Simmons tries; Wes Naiqama one goal)

Clicky

Panthers and Eels draw NRL trial
Date
February 23, 2013 - 7:19PM

A late try to Penrith winger David Simmons earned the Panthers a 10-10 draw with Parramatta in a wet western Sydney NRL trial clash on Saturday.

The Eels looked set for victory at Centrebet Stadium before a nice cross-field kick from Penrith halfback Tom Humble sat up out wide for Simmons to score in the corner with just under three minutes on the clock.

It was a vastly improved effort from Ricky Stuart's Parramatta, who were thumped 41-4 by Wests Tigers last week.

Halfback Chris Sandow was instrumental for Parramatta in his 60-minute effort, setting up both of the Eels' tries which came in the first half.

Sandow produced a bomb in the eighth minute with Jarryd Hayne climbing above the pack to score.

And the former Rabbitohs No.7 was at it again soon after when he sparked a sweeping backline move for Eels winger Cheyse Blair to score in the corner after a run-around move by Sandow.

Penrith opened their account on 21 minutes through Wes Naiqama who scored an intercept try before converting his four-pointer.

The derby match was a spirited one with young Eels back-rower Matt Ryan sinbinned early in the second half for repeated infringements.

The game also had a punch up with NSW State of Origin prop Tim Grant from Penrith and Parramatta's club captain and former Blues front-rower Tim Mannah exchanging blows in front of a crowd just over 4000.

Clicky

Last edited:

Tommy Coco

Juniors
Agree with much of the above.

Wasn't till we scored that we looked comfortable. Stand outs were Morgan, allgood, kalepi (I think). Mannah had a good game, as did Roberts, I was happily surprised with his effort at dummy half.

I felt parra were the better team even without the bias, uneven penalty count. Ryan sent for ten and a dum pass by Paulo gifted the draw.

As I say, Morgan was very elusive, allgood and lussick didn't give an inch in the centre, kalepi had an impact and would be really surprised if he doesn't play a fair bit of nrl this year.mannah isn't explosive but he really is starting to get thru the the work( reminsent of cayless).

Edwards without doing much was keen to get involved on the right hand side, loko had a impact as did frazer?

2 players I didn't recognize, 21 fullback? and the dark kid with blonde shaved head, both had a run, even enough...

Lastly, wasn't let down by Api either, good runner of the ball.

Just a couple of thoughts anyhow.

Stagger eel

Staff member
the 21 was Jerome Mackenzie...real talant, great on his feet, unfortunately, he has another set of feet where his hands should be, if he improves that aspect of his game he'll be real good..

did anybody else who watched the game thought our forwards showed some real merkin out there??

Tommy Coco

Juniors
did anybody else who watched the game thought our forwards showed some real merkin out there??

Particularly allgood in defensive, cheyse rattled the ball loose twice too. Dunno what happened last weekend but thought tonight's effort would be competitive more times than not.