What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tech question.. can someone explain

Chook Norris

First Grade
This is a question with regards to my internet speed. Usually i'm downloading at roughly 160kb/s at a maximum... recently, however, my connection's been highly volatile and i regularly disconnect at the most random of times. Since then, i've sometimes recorded speeds of up to 500kb/s.. when on my connection.. this is supposedly impossible being on a 1500/256 plan

how's this possible?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Do you use a router? Because Im having similar issues with my connection dropping out. Im with Bogpond (yes BOGpond the f**ks)

Im on an ADSL2+ plan but because I have an ADSL modem, I cant get the full speed of ADSL2+, but Bogpond wouldnt think to tell me that. But when I contacted them, they were very happy to tell me how much a new one would be and i couldnt just return theirs for an ADSL2+ modem.

Chook Norris

First Grade
ye i use a router, but what difference does that make?

i'm also with Bogpond (lol).. previously i was on a $60 plan/month and was being ripped off with 30kb/s speeds until i found out a year or two after its introduction, that i could've gotten the plan im currently on, with speeds 5 times faster at the same price

i still think it's f**ed that i'm all of a sudden getting these amazing speeds!!..

--
or does the 1500/256 kilobits plan actually translate to such speeds, but they never reached them before?

edit: no, supposedly 1500 is equivalent to 187kb/s.. so that wouldn't be a reason

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
ok i think i've located the source of the problem..

i'm thinknig that the site: speedtest.net is currently disfunctional and is recording totally incorrect speeds as i'm currently streaming something at no more than 120kbs

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Careful with those sites, some of them are owned and run by Big Pond, Optus, etc etc. Try and find one you know is independent.

I mention the router because I know that when I lose connection, I just disconnect my router from my laptop and then reconnect and it all works fine.

I also just 2 months ago upgraded my deal. 12GB per month for $70 with ADSL speeds to 200GB per month for $90 with ADSL2+ speeds. But they didnt tell me about the opportunity did they, pricks.

Out of curiosity, do you know which plan you have and what model modem you have?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I had the same problem about 6 months ago. I reported it to my ISP and after investigation it was a problem with Telstra's network, a fault in the cables.

afinalsin666

First Grade
when i was on dsl, downloading from mirrors and websites the speed would start at showing 500kb then drop to the usual 170kb. It could just be your browser saying its too much. I still get it now sometimes on adsl2+ it says im getting 1.5 then drops to 900kb.

or like twizzle says it could be a line fault, especially if your regional.

best plan to go on in metro areas is dodos unlimited adsl2+ plan for $40 a month.

Monk

Referee
We have recently upgraded to an adsl2+ plan for telstra and we even got a new modem/router but our speeds are still down
In the 60kb/s range, i called up telstra and they said they would look into it but I'm pretty angry tbh.

skeepe

Immortal
I also just 2 months ago upgraded my deal. 12GB per month for $70 with ADSL speeds to 200GB per month for $90 with ADSL2+ speeds. But they didnt tell me about the opportunity did they, pricks.

Out of curiosity, do you know which plan you have and what model modem you have?

Both of those plans are ridiculously expensive.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach

Oh I know, I just dont want to break my contract. I am a big fan of iinet and I plan on switching to them when I can.

So who here voted for an NBN?

Without knowing too much about it, that was my main reason for voting labour, I purely just want a better internet connection.

Chook Norris

First Grade
actually the speed-testing site was correct

my speeds are still fluctuating like crazy and still dropping out

perverse

Referee
only if you have zero appreciation for a quality internet service vs a budget internet service... and also only if you are fortunate enough to have competitors to Telstras DSLAMs in your exchange.

those 2 factors taken into consideration then yes, it might be a bit expensive. saying that it's expensive compared to someone like TPG isn't even a fair comparison. TPG provide a barebones, rubbish, over congested "connection" for a pittance. ISP's like Telstra, Internode, iiNet, etc provide a far more premium service, from reliability to customer service to speed. the likes of TPG like to piss on people and call it rain.

Chook Norris

First Grade
all is solved :D

turns out we had a problem with out phone line.. which explains why my net disconnected every time a phone call came in.. so we had a techn guy come to fix it

further, we've upgraded our plan.. from 12gb -> 100gb usage and 160kb/s -> 700kb/s

all for combining our phone and net plan YEEEEEEEEEEEEE

melon....

Coach
99.9% of intermittent speed/connectivity probs on ADSL and 2+ are with the phone line. Especially after rain.

snoozer

Bench
can someone help me please!

my monitor is now sideways-i'm not sure how this happened.(it's hard to type)

is this a hardware problem or can it be fixed by fiddling with settings?

Chook Norris

First Grade
can someone help me please!

my monitor is now sideways-i'm not sure how this happened.(it's hard to type)

is this a hardware problem or can it be fixed by fiddling with settings?

settings/controls i believe

try this:

ctrl + alt + Up arrow/button

Latest posts