What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thaiday 2012 Captain

cornerposter

Juniors
Along with Sammy, Parker, Civ and Wallace will provide plenty of leadership in 2012. I'm content with the choice but I get the arguments for and against.

Contrary to Angry's point I don't think this is a wrong choice. Choosing Glenn would have been a choice far more unbronco-like.

Broncomum

Juniors
what??? :crazy: how many things ahs thaiday started by running in and escalating stuff? Thaiday's one of my favourite players but to say Thaiday wouldnt have gottne involved in a stink is crazy

In that particular situation Sammy would not have thought it 'worth it' to start anything. Hell the cr@p handed out to Cam Smith on that tackle was nothing out of the ordinary, it happened all game. If Sam's gonna start something, it'd be over more than that. :) He'd get involved if something started, but he wouldn't instigate anything.
But Corey has a bit of 'it's Origin, we need a fight' in him. It's a sign of immaturity at that level. The elite are thinking football, not fights.
:)

IBA

Juniors
I'm happy enough with Sam. Glenn would have been a poor choice... Too young and I don't think he handles the off field duties that well.

Broncomum

Juniors
I'm happy enough with Sam. Glenn would have been a poor choice... Too young and I don't think he handles the off field duties that well.

Exactly.

This is going to be one of those comments that we, as fans, will hear every week from fans of other squads.

I can't wait...
I've been going to mention this nonsense many times, but it really is a long one.
In short, a few of us watched a handful of games & selected the first 5 players who got involved in a brawl, then watched a few games where they were involved in similar (took a while, lol)

Result : "Thirdman" is an urban myth. There are other players that could be regarded as serial offenders in that regard; thing is the detractors only have eyes for Sammy.

But it keeps the plebs happy so let them go for it. They treasure that misnomer like it was some kind of measure of their manhood.
I guess in reality, it is nice that they watch a player's movements so closely huh?

:lol::lol:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I respect your opinion Angry - why do you think it's the wrong choice?

Same reason I am not keen on Gallen.

Aggressive forwards need to left as that.

A different reason is Sam looks more a follower than leader.

I note Hodges has not been mentioned, and I am certainly not suggesting it. Happy to see him in Green and Gold but captain, no.

Same with Sam for me.

To be fair Darren has quite possibily the biggest ever shoes to fill, no matter the replacement.

Big Pete

Referee
I suppose different strokes for different folks.

I was a fan of Big Gordie as captain and I think Gal has done a decent job this season for both club and state.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I suppose different strokes for different folks.

I was a fan of Big Gordie as captain and I think Gal has done a decent job this season for both club and state.

Yes......he's certainly vocal in questioning the referee. Gordie was the same

I wasn't a fan.

hellteam

First Grade
I like the choice, Thaiday obviously has the respect of the players, more so than Parker. He's also smarter than Tallis ever was, wasn't a fan of his captaincy. Glenn to be next captain (hopefully he stays round long enough)

Broncomum

Juniors
I like the choice, Thaiday obviously has the respect of the players, more so than Parker. .....

Ahhh , the sweet sound of a nail being hit firmly in the very centre of its head.
;-)

Again, it's not that I don't like Corey, but a Captain needs a slightly smaller ego than his.
:D

DeeJ

Bench
So I have a little theory here. Broncos captains have been of the highest calibre players, Origin and State reps all of them (except for a few part timers).

Would Corey have been the choice if he had made the Test squad sooner? Sometimes I still think he would have been the better choice, just as a reflection of how he plays every game.

hellteam

First Grade
Hes got enough to think about doing 30 hitups, 60 tackles and goalkicking every game

The Crane

Juniors
^^ Yeah, I also think that fact had a lot to do with it. As Hellteam said, he leads our team in statistics already, plus has the pressure of goalkicking too. Captaincy would make his job even tougher.

That being said, I do think he would have handled it well. And I don't think Sam is a bad choice.

Do you guys think Thaiday will keep the captaincy for the rest of his career, or will one of the younger guns (Glenn, McCullough) step up and take it from him while Thaiday is still playing. I know the Broncos don't strip players of their captaincy, but in my opinion, it will be interesting.