1. Out Now:

The next edition of our exclusive weekly online e-magazine is here. The Front Row is your ideal guide to NRL Round 13 and Super League Round 8, with news, features, results, reports, teamlists, match stats and previews to accompany your weekend of footy viewing ahead.

This week's feature story is a history piece from Andrew Ferguson, with an insight into the life of the man who refereed the first NSWRFL first grade match in 1908 - Ted Hooper.

There's all the regular bits - the crossword and word jumbles, last week's wrap of results, reports, the ladder, stats leaders, match review and player of the year; plus your match program, with teamlists, player stats, head-to-head stats, match info and a full preview of every game of the NRL. There's also a detailed Super League program section.

EDITION 11 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Thanks Ivan

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by John Hamblin, Jul 4, 2020.

1. John Hamblin

John Hamblin Juniors

Just like to say what a complete turnaround from last year. Under the steady hand of IC and his assistants they have turned the club into the team who are at the very least top four contenders and who knows where we may finish!! Thanks Ivan!

Jane Murray likes this.
  2. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Coach

Too early to praise Ivan. His history says this is more a fluke than anything. Sincerely hope I’m wrong, but it’s his 14th year as a head coach. Plenty to go on.

3. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

He had his side in a similar position two years ago, with wins over the Roosters and Storm and the only loss being a stitch up against the Broncos when a draw after extra time appeared certain. He ended up 12 and 12 that year but with a lesser side than he's got now, especially the forward pack.

4. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

Wow, that's harsh. This team is mentally, and physically, stronger than they have ever been. The only bone of contention for me is the way he uses Matt Burton. Matt Burton needs to be in the side, and given more playing time.

5. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

Wow, that's harsh. This team is mentally, and physically, stronger than they have ever been. The only bone of contention for me is the way he uses Matt Burton. Matt Burton needs to be in the side, and given more playing time.

6. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

Where though? The halves are going well. He'll have to be played out of position which presents risks. I know he's a talented young player but the lack of a reserve grade makes things very difficult.

Blade23 and BxTom like this.
  7. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

More than likely it is Barrett's influence.

Das Hassler, Blade23 and WestyLife like this.
  8. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

Where though? The halves are going well. He'll have to be played out of position which presents risks. I know he's a talented young player but the lack of a reserve grade makes things very difficult.

9. Jane Murray

Jane Murray Juniors

So it will be bye, bye Matt Burton, hello Tyrone May. That is wrong.

10. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

Yes the play style has changed pretty dramatically this year.

11. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

No reason they can't coexist but you have to understand one is 24 and made his debut three years ago and the other is just starting. Likewise Luai has been in the system for years. You can't just cast these blokes aside because a kid with potential pops his head up.

12. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

Lui did his time waiting in the wings for Jimmy to move on. Lui has surprised me this year with the depth to his game.

Shouldn't be dropped for the next shiny new toy.

Think Burton's ongoing place may be at lock or backrow not unlike Graham.

13. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

Personally I think we are getting over excited far too early.

Let’s wait and see where we are at the 14 round mark before we start thinking about top 4.

14. John Hamblin

John Hamblin Juniors

A very cool effort tonight against a team that did what used to happen 40 years ago. When you are going to lose throw the dirt in, Shit tackles etc .I hope BJ gets 4/6 weeks

Jane Murray likes this.
  15. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

I agree. For a while I thought I was young again waiting league in the 1970's. Every time Clearly kicked he was hit late.

BJ along with Garner decided Naden and Edwards didn't need their heads any longer.

Reynolds was continually hitting late etc.

W/T were very dirty tonight.

I wonder was that a coaching tactic to put Penrith off ?

Very pleased with a gritty win.

unKwn likes this.
  16. Aliceinwonderland

Aliceinwonderland Bench

I agree. For a while I thought I was young again waiting league in the 1970's. Every time Clearly kicked he was hit late.

BJ along with Garner decided Naden and Edwards didn't need their heads any longer.

Reynolds was continually hitting late etc.

W/T were very dirty tonight.

I wonder was that a coaching tactic to put Penrith off ?

Very pleased with a gritty win.

17. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

lol

Look at the scoreboard.

I blow you a kiss.

much lols

18. Panfa

Panfa Juniors

Ivan your a legend telling the tigers supporters to look at the scoreboard then saying bye bye and topping it off with a kiss that was gold.As for the tigers fans you wanted mcguire you asked for him you got him guys hope you like watching the semis on ch 9 lol.

19. The unknown

The unknown Juniors

He pointed at the scoreboard after a 12 year old tigers supporter gave him the thumbs up.

Just process that for a moment. A 12 year old kid got under the skin of a fully grown professional coach on a million a year. Lols

sensesmaybenumbed likes this.
  20. Panfa

Panfa Juniors

Im sure the 12 yr old had adults with him and they were probably sticking it to cleary all game.Pretty sure cleary wouldnt be doing that to a 12yr old champ.And how do you know were you there were you.