What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 14th and 15th men

nqboy

First Grade
Last night in Cairns, Geoff Toovey deadset spent more time on the field than any Manly player who didn't play the entire game. He would be on there for 7-8 minutes at a time, come off for 30 seconds or so and then straight back on. He wasn't tending or talking to players, just standing behind the play, particularly in attack, calling his players one way or the other. His mate in the orange shirt spent almost as much time on the field as he did.

To be fair, I wasn't watching the Cowboys trainers, they may have been doing it too.

Ron Palmer raised this to an artform a few years ago but on the evidence of last night, it's just totally out of control.

The NRL should have a look a this issue with the spare ref monitoring it. Offenders should be warned off, sin-binned for 10 minutes and then sent off.

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
Mary mcGregor at the shield did it also. The worst of all though is Ronnie Palmer from the roosters.

think we should adopt a policy of having NO trainers on the field during game play- only when treating an injury (yes it opens up players faking injury to get a drink) or when their is a break, e.g, penalty or scrum or try.

Evergreen

Juniors
Toovey is merely continuing the job that Hasler himself had a couple of years ago.

Its a f*cking disgrace and the NRL need to step in and ban it.

CharlieF

Juniors
And the issue is.....

All clubs do it. It is not against the rules.

Ban all Trainer/Messengers on field or ban none.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Toovey is the worst offender. He did it at Leichhardt Oval last year as well.

Since when should a trainer be allowed to direct attacking play, FFS?

Garts

Bench
I remember the ref sent him of last year. Think he might have given him a gobfull about a ruling.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I'd like to see trainers banned unless a stoppage or injury. you dont see them in soccer or gridiron or a lot of other sports....

if trainers are seen to be yelling out instructions or directing play they should be binned by the ground manager, if they keep doing it the nrl should suspend them for a game

Danish

Referee
Can someone tell we what the actual problem with trainers being on the field is??

Providing they don't get in the way of play (which the rarely do) then I see no problems with them standing behind the line giving the halfback the coaches orders etc. All clubs do it, and there are plenty of ex-stars who would be willing to do it so no team would have any advantage because of it.

It takes nothing away from the game as far as i'm concerned so leave them be.

As for it not happening in other sports....

- Soccer consistently has coaches pacing the sideline barking orders.
- NFL stops after every tackle to ask the coach what to do next (I believe QBs are miked up to talk to the coach as well)
- AFL has trainers all over the field all the time.
- Cricketers can stop and ask for whatever whenver they like and receive the captains orders while doing so.

The Colonel

Immortal
The problem is the trainer standing in or just behind the defensive line telling the players where to be and effectively creating an extra man in defence.

hybrid-tiger said:
Toovey is the worst offender. He did it at Leichhardt Oval last year as well.

Ronnie Palmer still holds the crown....

Danish

Referee
The Colonel said:
The problem is the trainer standing in or just behind the defensive line telling the players where to be and effectively creating an extra man in defence.

Ronnie Palmer still holds the crown....

I think you'll find trainers are not permitted on the field when in defence.

And really a man standing in the line who isn't allowed to tackle is only going to be an advantage to the attacking man. Can be used as a sheppard quite easily like many do with offside players and referees.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I think it takes away from the spectacle of the game and I wonder whetehr it's also actually detracting from players skills. playmakers are now being told everyplay what to do by someone else and thus not actually developing their game. I'm sure there are times the trainer even over-rides players calls.

it reminds me of those under 6 teams they have at halftime where the coach stands behind them pointing them in the right direction. as professionals shouldnt they be able to work it out for themselves?

i know every team does it, some just have trainers who are worse than others, I'd like the whole thing stopped unless like i said a break in play or an injury.

as for trainers not being in or behind the defensive line, I remember a few years ago peachy made a break got whistled for a forward pass and he handed the ball to palmer who was behind the defensive line.

chileman

Coach
I've got no dramas with trainers being on the field, does nothing to the spectacle of our game IMO!

Rutager

Juniors
What would happen if a team is attacking and the trainer is on the field, the other team intercepts the ball and runs into the trainer?

Latest posts