What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2020 Shopping List

emjaycee

Coach
So based on the NRL release of contract information for all clubs a couple of weeks ago (and yes, there may have been some changes since then), if you were in charge of recruitment at the Eels, who would you be targeting for 2020 and beyond?

Broncos:
Troy Dargan, George Fai, Alex Glenn, Richie Kennar, Patrick Mago, Andrew McCullough, Corey Oates, Sean O’Sullivan, Tevita Pangai Jr, Sam Tagatese

Raiders:
Brad Abbey, Luke Bateman, Royce Hunt, Ata Hingano, Sebastian Kris, Corey Horsburgh, Jordan Rapana, Sam Williams

Bulldogs:
Fa’amanu Brown, Danny Fualolo, Michael Lichaa, Rhyse Martin, John Olive, Zac Saddler, Francis Tualau

Sharks:
Kurt Capewell, Sosaia Feki, Aaron Gray, William Kennedy, Isaac Lumelume, Billy Magoulias, Ronald Mulitalo, Scott Sorensen, Braden Uele

Titans:
Jesse Arthars, Ryley Jacks, Michael Gordon, Max King, Brenko Lee, Will Matthews, Jack Stockwell, Jai Whitbread

Manly:
Trent Hodkinson, Cade Cust, Tevita Funa, Reuben Garrick, Jack Gosiewski, Brad Parker, Lloyd Perrett, Toafofoa Sipley, Kelepi Tanginoa, Jorge Taufua, Joel Thompson, Dylan Walker

Storm:
Kenny Bromwich, Scott Drinkwater, Patrick Kaufusi, Joe Stimson, Albert Vete, Billy Walters, Christian Welch

Knights
Jamie Buhrer, Slade Griffin, Brodie Jones, Hymel Hunt, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Zac Woolford

Warriors
Blayke Ayshford, Karl Lawton, Issac Luke, Agnatius Paasi, Hayze Perham, Ligi Sao, Jazz Tevaga

Cowboys
Kurt Baptiste, Scott Bolton, Javid Bowen, Gavin Cooper, Mitchell Dunn, Ben Hampton, Corey Jensen, Jordan Kahu, Te Maire Martin, Gideon Mosby, Matt Scott, Enari Tuala

Panthers
Frank Winterstein, Jed Cartwright, Tyrell Fuimaono, Tim Grant, Sione Katoa, Nick Lui-Toso, Paea Pua, Hame Sele

Dragons:
Mitchell Allgood, Jai Field, Josh Kerr, Jeremy Latimore, Lachlan Maranta, Darren Nicholls, Reece Robson, Tristan Sailor, Lachlan Timm

Rabbitohs:
Billy Brittain, Dean Britt, George Burgess, Kurt Dillon, Jacob Gagan, Mawene Hiroti, Rhys Kennedy, Mark Nicholls, Bayley Sironen, John Sutton, Tevita Tatola, Connor Tracey, Kyle Turner

Roosters:
Mitchell Aubusson, Matt Ikuvalu, Craig Garvey, Brock Lamb, Bernard Lewis, Shaquai Mitchell, Zane Tetevano

Tigers:
Josh Aloiai, Michael Chee-Kam, Robbie Farah, Mahe Fonua, Tyson Gamble, Chris Lawrence, Jacob Liddle, Benji Marshall, Thomas Mikaele, Robbie Rochow, Corey Thompson

I don't see a hell of a lot of quality in that list that would be too much better than what we have in our current squad, although based on wanting to strengthen our pack, I would probably make a play for Tevita Pangai Jr, Christian Welch and Tevita Tatola in that order. Not sure there are too many outside backs that improve us more than what we have, especially with Parry and possibly Dunster coming through next year.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
TPJ or Mitch Aubusson.

Not many great spine options which is what we could do with improving. Except for Dargan maybe who is a future origin player according to some...

Happy MEel

First Grade
Do we actually need any outside backs?

If we can land DWZ as a right centre and re-sign Moses and Jennings I think our 1-7 is fine.

1. Gutho
2. Fergo
3. DWZ
4. Jennings
5. Sivo
6. Moses
7. Drown

(Id prefer Dylan managing the game and Moses to play what he sees when he sees it)

TPJ would be nice though.

8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Lane
12. Mau
13. Brown

14. Niukore
15. Stefano
16. Mannah
17. Evans/Gower/Alvaro/Tep

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
Do we actually need any outside backs?

If we can land DWZ as a right centre and re-sign Moses and Jennings I think our 1-7 is fine.

1. Gutho
2. Fergo
3. DWZ
4. Jennings
5. Sivo
6. Moses
7. Drown

(Id prefer Dylan managing the game and Moses to play what he sees when he sees it)

TPJ would be nice though.

8. Paulo
9. Mahoney
10. TPJ
11. Lane
12. Mau
13. Brown

14. Niukore
15. Stefano
16. Mannah
17. Evans/Gower/Alvaro

Scrap Gower, he retires at the end of this year.
And nowhere for Tepai?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Scrap Gower, he retires at the end of this year.
And nowhere for Tepai?
Yeah forgot about that. I’d maybe have Tep competing for that last spot with Evans and Alvaro. He’d have to be content to be on a wage that reflects his position in the squad though, as an option but not automatic selection.

Pazza

First Grade
The list doesn't look great but hey some of our best signings in the last few years have been unknowns.

We can't do another Hayne/Evans off-season. Must add a few new faces most years.

Heard on tripple M yesterday we are going hard for Matt lodge.

Glenneel

Bench
So based on the NRL release of contract information for all clubs a couple of weeks ago (and yes, there may have been some changes since then), if you were in charge of recruitment at the Eels, who would you be targeting for 2020 and beyond?

I don't see a hell of a lot of quality in that list that would be too much better than what we have in our current squad, although based on wanting to strengthen our pack, I would probably make a play for Tevita Pangai Jr, Christian Welch and Tevita Tatola in that order. Not sure there are too many outside backs that improve us more than what we have, especially with Parry and possibly Dunster coming through next year.
From what I've read Parry seems a good prospect, Dunster less so, although would have to be better than Gennings tho. Fainga'a has received some good reviews but not much about Stefino who was a bench player for JF I think when I read team lists. Fainga'a could replace Niukore in SR and he is much more skilful than him.

Cade Cust could replace Moses if we don't re-sign him but that puts 3 youngsters in our spine which already is probably the most inexperienced of any team in the NRL. Still like the thought of Scott Drinkwater at fullback and Gutho to centre along with Parry or whoever. Mennings to go or stay at much reduced contract for 1 year.

Last edited: