What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Australian: Eel likely to lose sleep over stopping Inglis

Nickeel

Juniors
Eel likely to lose sleep over stopping Inglis

Brent Read
September 06, 2006

BEN SMITH is expecting some sleepless nights this week.

The Parramatta centre, whose third year in first grade has been plagued by ankle problems, is facing one of the game's toughest assignments at Olympic Park on Sunday - stopping Melbourne's rising star Greg Inglis. Smith openly admits it's the sort of match-up which leaves him tossing and turning at night. We always suspected players like Inglis and St George Ilawarra centre Mark Gasnier gave opponents nightmares, now Smith has confirmed it.
"It will keep me on my toes anyway," Smith said.
"I think it's good to come up against those sort of blokes. They're the blokes you lose a bit of sleep over.
"Players of that calibre, they can do anything. You just have to go out there and do your best. It will be a great test for me."
The Smith-Inglis match-up is one of several duels expected to illuminate Olympic Park in the opening round of the finals.
Both are inexperienced by NRL standards but stock skills and maturity beyond their years.
Inglis, in particular, has been outstanding this season - his second in the top grade.
The Storm centre leads the club in try-scoring and line breaks.
"He's a freakish talent. I played against him in a trial at the start of the year but that's no example of how good he's going at the moment. He's so deceptively strong, very athletic and he can do anything on the field," Smith said yesterday.
"We'll have our work cut out but I'm confident with the boys I have got on my edges."
Smith isn't the only Parramatta player or official concerned with the influence Inglis could have on the qualifying final.
Parramatta coach Jason Taylor nominated the gifted centre as one of the individuals capable of changing the outcome of Sunday's game.
"Greg Inglis is a good player and there's no doubt that's something Melbourne have over other teams in the comp. They have a couple of players who can really turn a game," Taylor said.
"They're a very solid, hard-working team but they do have some guys who can turn a game in one play. That's something we'll do some work on for sure."
While Inglis is foremost in Parramatta's thoughts, the Eels have game-breakers of their own, the rangy Smith being one.
Born in Gunnedah in northwest NSW, Smith, 21, is aiming to make his mark after a disappointing season. He was branded a future representative player after scoring 14 tries in 18 games last year when the Eels won the minor premiership.
But an ankle problem, which required surgery, affected him early this season and still concerns him.
"It's very depressing," Smith said of his time on the sidelines.
"I was out for a lot longer than expected and the ankle still wasn't right. It's gradually got stronger. It's still not quite (100 per cent). It's sore after training and games.
"I'm still a bit behind. There was a bit of confidence lost with my ankle."
His return to form has been augmented by the availability of forwards Nathan Cayless and Michael Vella, whose selection comes at the expense of Wade McKinnon and Brett Delaney.
Cayless missed last round's loss to North Queensland with a fractured eye socket while Vella was a late withdrawal after contracting a virus on the day of the game.
Offsetting their return is the fact Melbourne will be at full strength. Coach Craig Bellamy has named a 20-man squad which includes Queensland forward Michael Crocker and New Zealand back Jake Webster on an extended bench.
"We need to play as well as we can," Taylor said. "If we play our best game of footy we're hard to beat no matter who we play. We'll be ready to play with the energy we played with when we were at our very best."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20360958-2722,00.html

I love how the reporter took an offhand comment like "They're [players like Inglis] blokes you lose a bit of sleep over" and turned it into 'Ben Smith has insomnia over Inglis'. Anyway, still enlightening. Go Penguin.

Nick

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
dont think so

Strike weapon in doubt

By Karl deKroo
September 06, 2006

GROWING pains could deprive Melbourne Storm of its most potent attacking weapon in Sunday's qualifying final against Parramatta at Olympic Park.

Teenage star Greg Inglis was last night rushed for MRI scans after he was unable to train for a second straight day because of pain in his achilles tendon.

Inglis missed almost two months of football earlier this year, including the final two matches of Queensland's State of Origin campaign due to debilitating stress fractures in his back.

The latest injury worry is not believed to be linked to the back problem, but is another symptom of the 19-year-old's rapid growth.

"It is not an injury. It is more just growing pains," Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20359451-23214,00.html

Nickeel

Juniors
Twizzle said:
dont think so

Strike weapon in doubt

By Karl deKroo
September 06, 2006

GROWING pains could deprive Melbourne Storm of its most potent attacking weapon in Sunday's qualifying final against Parramatta at Olympic Park.

Teenage star Greg Inglis was last night rushed for MRI scans after he was unable to train for a second straight day because of pain in his achilles tendon.

Inglis missed almost two months of football earlier this year, including the final two matches of Queensland's State of Origin campaign due to debilitating stress fractures in his back.

The latest injury worry is not believed to be linked to the back problem, but is another symptom of the 19-year-old's rapid growth.

"It is not an injury. It is more just growing pains," Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20359451-23214,00.html

Was just going to post that, you old fox you.

Nick

Eelectrica

Referee
I think Inglis will play. Melbourne should be looking to go all out to win this one then take the week off. The injury might slow him down though and make the task of marking hime not quite is difficult as it usually is.

Hellsy

Immortal
Right so....
Eric/Benny up against Geyer/Inglis
Brett/Jarryd up against King/Turner

or are they gunna split Ben and Eric again??

strider

Post Whore
growing pains? ... i thought u only got them when u were about 12-16??? .... stop feeding him, that'll fix it :D

strider

Post Whore
Hellsy said:
Right so....
Eric/Benny up against Geyer/Inglis
Brett/Jarryd up against King/Turner

or are they gunna split Ben and Eric again??

no - benny gonna smash fluffy :twisted:

:lol: ;-)

Nickeel

Juniors
eelavation said:
and that's exactly what I believe the Storm are doing.."Foxing"

Inglis will play.

I'm glad you pointed that out to me, as I usually believe everything I read in the paper. Cheers, Eela. :D

Nick

parra pete

Referee
strider said:
no - benny gonna smash fluffy :twisted:

:lol: ;-)

Just don't rush up in defence Ben, or you will leave a big hole and be made to look ridiculous by Slater, Turner or Geyer.....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nickeel said:
I'm glad you pointed that out to me, as I usually believe everything I read in the paper. Cheers, Eela. :D

Nick

Believe everything?? that's a scoop on it's own..

er! er! er!

[has anyone found my Groucho Mask anywhere]

Suitman

Post Whore
I've never heard of anyone being ruled out of a match due to "growing pains"! :lol: :lol:

Suity

Nickeel

Juniors
Suitman said:
I've never heard of anyone being ruled out of a match due to "growing pains"! :lol: :lol:

Suity

Unless they were playing during the 80s and laughed until their ribs hurt at the hilarious TV show Growing Pains.

Nick

Redback71

First Grade
ah hell play even he doesnt they gave us a hammering last time without him i think cameron smith and billy slater are the biggest worry

Stagger eel

Staff member
Nickeel said:
Unless they were playing during the 80s and laughed until their ribs hurt at the hilarious TV show Growing Pains.

Nick

yeah! there was a similar condition called "Different Stroke itis" which a few players suffered badly from in the 80's.

Hellsy

Immortal
Growing pains are pretty bad, he is only a young guy... I know people who have got them into their early 20's, especially people who got the height quickly

Latest posts