What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Australian: Eel likely to lose sleep over stopping Inglis

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I believe Ben Smith on Inglis is a perfect matchup for us. IMO Ben Smith is very close to if not the best defensive centre in the game. His attack on the other hand has struggled a bit this year but he will come good. Look for a fully fit Smith to go close to playing rep footy next year (at least city/country)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hellsy said:
Growing pains are pretty bad, he is only a young guy... I know people who have got them into their early 20's, especially people who got the height quickly

I never had any problems there, although my mother tells me that I might get them in 40's..but I don't believe her.;-)

cardinal

Juniors
T-BONE MCGRAW said:
I believe Ben Smith on Inglis is a perfect matchup for us. IMO Ben Smith is very close to if not the best defensive centre in the game. His attack on the other hand has struggled a bit this year but he will come good. Look for a fully fit Smith to go close to playing rep footy next year (at least city/country)

Excellent post, Ben has been great in defence he shut down Tate the other week and I expect him to do the same to Inglis. He is still strugling after his ankle to get back to his best in attack, but with a full off season behind him I think he will play rep footy as well.

parra pete

Referee
Hellsy said:
Growing pains are pretty bad, he is only a young guy... I know people who have got them into their early 20's, especially people who got the height quickly

He'll play ..... and come off looking 10 feet tall if the Storm win....

Parra Playa

Juniors
Strike weapon in doubt

By Karl deKroo September 06, 2006

GROWING pains could deprive Melbourne Storm of its most potent attacking weapon in Sunday's qualifying final against Parramatta at Olympic Park.

Teenage star Greg Inglis was last night rushed for MRI scans after he was unable to train for a second straight day because of pain in his achilles tendon.
Inglis missed almost two months of football earlier this year, including the final two matches of Queensland's State of Origin campaign due to debilitating stress fractures in his back.
The latest injury worry is not believed to be linked to the back problem, but is another symptom of the 19-year-old's rapid growth.
"It is not an injury. It is more just growing pains," Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey said.

Parra Guru

Coach
I hope he misses the game, but I never hope for an injury.

An achilles injury is a ball breaker and can make running and even walking very painful.

Parra Guru

Coach
I believe that Gasnier has nightmares about out Benny Boy's hatty against him last year!!!

Just on the subject of Inglis. Growing pains are terrible. A family friend just had her 13 year old daughter in hospital getting a 50 degree severe scoliosis corrected through surgery as a result of growing pains.

I wouldn't wish it on anyone, and achilles pain is awful because you can't do much to prevent it.

Nickeel

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
I believe that Gasnier has nightmares about out Benny Boy's hatty against him last year!!!

I don't believe Gasnier was playing the night Ben got his hattrick? I might be wrong there, though.

Nick

Parra Guru

Coach
Nickeel said:
I don't believe Gasnier was playing the night Ben got his hattrick? I might be wrong there, though.

Nick

I thought he was. All I can remember is Benny's hatty and the controversial Wade try

Nickeel

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
I thought he was. All I can remember is Benny's hatty and the controversial Wade try

And the look of abject fear in Barrett's eyes on the replay when Hindmarsh and Caylo came at him to defend PJ.

And every time Barrett got the ball after that incident: "BOOOOOOO!"

Such a brilliant night, that was.

Nick

Inglis Cleared:

Inglis cleared to play for Storm
Wednesday Sep 6 17:30 AEST

After sweeping the Dally M awards, Melbourne received more good news with attacking genius Greg Inglis cleared to play in Sunday's NRL qualifying final against Parramatta.

Inglis was sent for MRI scans after Achilles tendon pain forced him out of two training sessions and it was feared the club's leading tryscorer may be sidelined for the Olympic Park clash.

However the scans revealed no structural damage, clearing the talented teenager to play.

RELATED LINKS

* Drug tests for amateurs league players

"I would be hugely surprised if he doesn't play on Sunday," Storm coach Craig Bellamy said.

advertisement
"He had a bit of trouble with it last Saturday night (against Manly) and that's why I brought him off.

"He struggled to run on Monday and Tuesday so we thought we'd play it safe and get the scans to make sure there's nothing underlying there but he should be right to train."

Inglis missed two months earlier this year with back stress fractures, and Storm physiotherapist Mary Toomey again put the problem down to "growing pains".

The teenager has added three centimetres and five kilograms over the past year to his already impressive frame.

"We can reasonably attribute it to growing when there's physical stress on the body," she said.

"It's now a matter of treatment and optimising his recovery after each match."

Melbourne won three Dally M awards with Bellamy declared NRL coach of the year while hooker Cameron Smith won the prestigious Dally M Medal for player of the year and Cooper Cronk, the best halfback.

Bellamy said the swag of awards won by his club marked an impressive end to one competition, with another starting on Sunday.

He felt the accolades were well-deserved, but was ready to focus on the final.

"I was asked whether they would mean anything if we didn't win the competition but it's now a different situation, it's a different competition," he said.

"Cam's award and the minor premiership has been well-deserved by our team because we've played really consistently and we've been the best team for the past six months, but if things don't go well over the next month that doesn't change what has happened.

"We consider it two different competitions, we've got rid of one and now we're into another one.

"What's important is not a month's time, what's important is this week, our preparation and our performance on Sunday."

Queensland Origin hooker Smith became the first Melbourne player to win the award, joining illustrious company like Ray Price, Peter Sterling, Ricky Stuart and three-time winner Andrew Johns.

Bellamy described the 23-year-old as the side's "rock".

"He's been ultra consistent, in the three years he's been here he's improved his game each year.

"He's been a real rock this year for our team, and I'm sure he will be for next month."

Wearing a rented suit, Cronk, who played his first full year for Melbourne at No.7, said he thought he was attending league's annual awards night for a "free feed".

In a major upset, Cronk pipped former winners Johns and Johnathan Thurston, as well as Matt Orford, who polled strongly in the overall award.

"It was my very first Dally M awards night and I dead-set thought I was going up there for a free flight and free feed," he said.

"When you're younger you sit on the couch and watch Friday night footy and see guys running around who you dream of playing alongside one day and to be stepping up in the same room and to be seen in the same light and spoken in the same breath as them is pretty flattering and very humbling.

"I just think it's a reflection on the side and how it's going."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=63149

philstorm

Juniors
I think in all honesty we'll rest him. Can't afford him getting injured now and being possible out for the Grand Final. I think that statement was all a cover up for the Eels to not look into analyzing Webster.

But here's hoping he plays!

Stagger eel

Staff member
philstorm said:
I think in all honesty we'll rest him. Can't afford him getting injured now and being possible out for the Grand Final. I think that statement was all a cover up for the Eels to not look into analyzing Webster.

But here's hoping he plays!

not playing Inglis would showing a great lack of respect against my club..if he's fit he'll play.

ParraAds

Juniors
Pfft....I saw Ben Smith the other day at Parramatta Westfield and he is dead set 6'80 and 1000kgs..... he will eat Inglis.

caylo

Bench
Nickeel said:

Nick
Yep benny played on both gasnier and cooper in seperate games, first game gasnier was shut down by benny... he gave him no room to move, which is wot i believe he will do to inglus if he plays, and grothe ran at gas all day. gas was very ordinary, dragons won by 4points i believe. next time we play the dragqueens, cooper was changed to mark benny as he was running riot around his opossing centre (gas was ruled out). he then smashed cooper, in the second half, and smashed timmions to jolt the ball free and score his 3rd try. they all have nightmares of him dont u worry
:D

Dutchy

Immortal
Matai kept Gringlis pretty tame except for that try of the kick.

Dont see why B.Smith cant do better than Matai.