What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bachelor 'How To' Thread

Pete Cash

Post Whore
real bachelor food - married men would not be allowed to eat it.

Chilli.

You need to buy some dried bird's eye chillis - which are little suckers about 2 cm long.

chop up a large onion finely and start it cooking slowly with a teaspoon of paprika, about five birds eye chillis crushed as fine as you can (with gloves on or crush them in a plastic bag - don't touch them - and don't rub your eyes if you do) and a bit of oil.
throw in half a kilo of mince when the onion is goes clear and stir it all together till the mince is just about cooked - then add a capsicum and two tomatoes chopped up coarsely and a can of drained red kidney beans and just let it all warm through.

That can burn you a new ring.

Thought I might add my own chili recipe in case anyone is interested.

Get a good cut of meat. I use brisket and cut it up into 3cm sized cubes. Get a sausage or two like chorizo and cut it into slices.

Dice an onion and slice up a couple of capsicums (or just one big one) and put into a bowl. Add to the bowl a tsp of ground cumin, a tbsp of chili flakes or a tsp if the chili flakes you are using are excessively hot, a couple of cloves of finely chopped garlic and a tsp of paprika

Now get some dried chipolte (like this http://www.herbies.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=123&cat=3&page=3 ) and cut them up with scissors. I suggest taking out the seeds but its your call. seeds will make it hotter. Put them in a little bowl and add boiling water. Let sit.

Now heat the f**k out of the a good few tbsp of oil you want it hot. Brown off the meat in batches and leave to the side. Make sure you get some good chorizo fat in the oil

Drop the temp of the pot and add the bowl of onion, capsicum and spices. Cook for about 5 minutes to sweat the onions and get the spices going. Give it a stir every now and then. Make sure the pot isn't so hot as to burn the spices.

While this is going on its time to prep the sauce. I use the following a can of diced tomatoes, about 300mls of beef stock and about 300ml of dark beer (or any beer really. I find a malty dark beer works better. Hoppy beers like an IPA will make it too bitter imo. THe chilli will already be quite bitter). Add all of that to the pot along with a few bits of dark chocolate to taste and the chipolte chillies and the water its been sitting in. Throw the meat back in and bring to boil.

Turn the heat back and let it sit for hours. Now it normally takes about 3 to 4 hours imo for the brisket to get to the point you want it to. You can tell because it will fall to bits. Pull it out and pull it apart with some forks. Add it back to the mixture and add a can of kidney beans. Let it sit on low for about 30 minutes.

Serve with sour cream and rice.

Its pretty hot.

Obviously use whatever meat you like. If you use mince it will take a lot less time. Can add more chillies or less. Season to taste with salt. That kind of thing. Its a little more complicated than the above but with chilli i find i get back what I put in so to speak.

Apey

Staff member
Who could forget the glorious Woolies chook

You're only limited by your imagination in terms of uses of a Woolies Chook

IanGs Christmas Bachelor tips.

To save yourself from cooking in that period between Christmas and New Years.

- Get a couple of salads whatever you like. For me its pasta and potato salads.

- A couple of the all purpose Woolies chooks.

- If you've had a ham that'll also last well into the New Year.

- Try and swipe as many left overs from the rellies as you can.

- Also buy a pudding at the supermarket when they open back up again. Chances are they've been reduced for quick sale. That and a carton of custard and thats desert. If they have the ones in a tin then get 2 and keep the other one for next year

- Do plenty of grazing too. You'll be bound to have plenty of chips and lollies left over. In my case they were a bunch of stocking fillers.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
woolies chook has always been a go to for when i cbf cooking. Always think about the sandwiches for lunch the next day