What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Backline...

GeyerIsADouche

Juniors
I'm starting to get a little worried about how our backline is shaping up for next season. I would never question anything the great man does, however the amount of talent let go this year and last year is concerning. We had an embarrassment of riches last year with coops, gaz, and josh morris all vying for a center spot [imagine what saint benny could of done with that roster??] this year we showed the door do chase stanley, who in my opinion is a massive loss, and both our starting three quarters in the under 20's side [kane linnet-roosters, dene whare- manly]. personally i'm not sold on beau scott in the centers, he is solid without being a game breaker. Coops is not getting any younger and seems to be getting injured alot more. What will we do if Coops gets injured next year??? Brett Morris is a gun winger and i would leave him there, florence isn't a center, and from what i've seen tagive is a finisher, not a creater. I pray i'm wrong and probably am, but bugger me didn't we take it for granted having the calibre of backs we have had in the past....

what are your thoughts???

Bring back choc

Juniors
mate i 100% agree wit you....but you'll probably get hammered on here for speaking the truth.
Soward and Morris are doing it all themselves,. We have no potency whatsoever. Its a major problem in big games. The same for our bench. We do not have any impact sufficient enough to worry the best teams in the big games. Its ok for most of year when we rely on teams making mistakes and we can just grind, but the good teams dont make mistakes. You have to create opportunities. Thats where we struggle. coops is signed for a couple more i think so i would be throwing him in the back row (like a ben smith). He's big enough. We need to find a spark in the centres. And dell, well i'd like to see him off the bench. He offers little in attack also. We need to purchase, but yet again players we don't need are eating up our cap.

grandorient

Bench
The answer is simple actually,

We need to buy Folau, Hodges, Slater, Inglis and Josh Morris.

Problem solved....

GO

Doug2234

First Grade
The answer is simple actually,

We need to buy Folau, Hodges, Slater, Inglis and Josh Morris.

Problem solved....

GO

Agreed - and make them all grow beards and colour there hair so no one thinks its them - we can also change there names.

Then no one will be the wiser that we are breaching the salary cap :D

grandorient

Bench
Thats the spirit Doug,

I'll start by selling my body on street corners to raise some much needed cash and then we go for it.

Anyone joining me guys?

GO

Bring back choc

Juniors
NO BCC. You get hammered because you wrote off half the team and wanted to sack them all. There is no reference of that in Geyers post!

Mate i did not write off half the team. I named a few players that i believe need to be moved on. How many chances do they want? I think their time is up. I also suggested positional changes are needed to counter act our lack of potency which lets be honest, will haunt us again next year. You cant deny that fact. Seriously. Like i said, i am actually in the majority with my thoughts. But unfortunately you cant look at the club without a biased point of view.

Ray Parlour

Juniors
Dell must retire and Scott needs to go back into the pack.

In comes Tagive and Nightingale on the right.

Hopefully this will allow us to use both sides when attacking and just no throwing everything down the left

ghostface

Juniors
Dell must retire and Scott needs to go back into the pack.

In comes Tagive and Nightingale on the right.

Hopefully this will allow us to use both sides when attacking and just no throwing everything down the left

Hear hear. Completely agree Scott needs to go back into 2nd row. If Morris can put on a few KG's i would put him in the centre's. Cooper and Gaz both started on the wings and went on to be two of the games great centres. No reason why Morris can't follow in their footsteps and step up to be one of the games great centre's. Would like to see Nightingale back on the left wing where he scored alot of try's in our previous campaign.

parra_jesus

Juniors
i agree dell does offer little in attack and can be a liability at time. but his mere on field presence is what keeps him there. he is the best in the nrl for firing up the troops and motivating/keeping their heads up.

Goddo

Bench
i agree dell does offer little in attack and can be a liability at time. but his mere on field presence is what keeps him there. he is the best in the nrl for firing up the troops and motivating/keeping their heads up.

He is an asset and a liability. He is good at firing up and digging deep when the Dragons look a little down, but he is often caught out of position, has lost a lot of speed, and except for hitting like a second rower on the wing, doesn't bring much in attack.

We need an attacking centre. Badly. how many do we have now that are second rowers, or second rowers playing in other positions (eg dean young). No future there for Dell in the second row. We need someone like gaz or inglis.

love my saints

Juniors
what we actually need is a halfback, no disrespect to hornby, but he is not a halfback that can run the show, we needed a carney or orford or thurston, u no what im getting at. hornby is a great club man, very loyal and reliable, but not classy enough to lead the team around like a champion halfback should.

as for our attack out wide, heres a thought, lett at fullback, he is safe, fast, and strong, tagaive or watever his name is and b.moz on the wings, boyd right centre, and throw nightingale at left centre, sorry, but in my opinion, cooper has struggled in attack the last two seasons, i love the guy, but maybe as was said earlier, put him in the back row aka ben smith at parra. nightingale has been tearing it up whenever he comes on, so he would be a ripper in the centres....

thats just my opinion though.......

Cagey Mac

Bench
what we actually need is a halfback, no disrespect to hornby, but he is not a halfback that can run the show, we needed a carney or orford or thurston, u no what im getting at. hornby is a great club man, very loyal and reliable, but not classy enough to lead the team around like a champion halfback should.

as for our attack out wide, heres a thought, lett at fullback, he is safe, fast, and strong, tagaive or watever his name is and b.moz on the wings, boyd right centre, and throw nightingale at left centre, sorry, but in my opinion, cooper has struggled in attack the last two seasons, i love the guy, but maybe as was said earlier, put him in the back row aka ben smith at parra. nightingale has been tearing it up whenever he comes on, so he would be a ripper in the centres....

thats just my opinion though.......

IMO we need to look at Henry at half back and Hornby at Hooker at least in some of the trials. I really think that a lot of our collapse except for the Parra semi was on the back of a lack of go forward from our pack and much if that was to do with the lack of a creative DH. We were also unusually error-ridden sometimes forced but a lot of the time just fundamental mistakes
If Dell wants to stay then it needs to be of the bench I think and apart from Nighty, young Lett really deserves a longer look
We’re definitely still in the mix next year for a top 4 finish and it will be interesting to see if maestro Bennett can concoct a better finish

Ray Parlour

Juniors
If they let Wendell play another year we r f**kd

He said in the paper yesterday hes organizing a meeting with Douche and Benny today.

Said he wants another year, but if they tell him its time to hang up the boots he will accept that and put the team first.

Im hoping he stays on at the club in some capacity as a coach maybe and becomes a permanent member of the footy show, which he seems keen on.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If they let Wendell play another year we r f**kd

Well said Spartan. Dell has to retire. Nightingale to wing and problems are solved. Maybe swap BMoz and Boyd around.

Next year Saints should make a play for Thurston. If there is 1 player who can get the Dragons a GF it is him. A quality player who fires in the big games.

Latest posts