What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The bagging of Sam Burgess

English Rose

Juniors
Would you Souths fans be saying the same thing if he wasn't going to Union? He made the most metres than any forward on Sunday, topped the tackle count, made the most offloads and the only error he made was giving a penalty away which shouldn't even have been a penalty yet you guys are blaming him for you losing? You need to look at other players starting with your hero and captain John Sutton, he has been absolutely woeful this season! Also players like Tyrell, Lowe and Picker are not 1st grade standard, Sam Burgess prob made more metres and more tackles than these 3 put together in Sunday!

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
I haven't said a bad word against him. It sucks that he's leaving, but he's still pulling on our jersey and putting in every week. What point is there in death riding him? How about we as fans let him feel the love, so he can remember his time with as fondly?

English Rose

Juniors
Also just checked the comp stats, he has made more metres than any other forward in the whole comp this season, averages the 2nd most runs by any player in the comp and is in the top 20 for tackles and offloads yet some Souths fans say he doesn't care anymore!

Zigwaa

Bench
I haven't said a bad word against him. It sucks that he's leaving, but he's still pulling on our jersey and putting in every week. What point is there in death riding him? How about we as fans let him feel the love, so he can remember his time with as fondly?

This.

I haven't bagged him coz he's leaving. I've bagged some of his bonehead plays, but I do that to all the players. Whoever taught all those Burgess boys to reach out for the tryline from 5 meters out and either drop the ball or get penalised for double movement needs to be shot. Also their pushing the offload with 3 defenders on them.

souths_pride

Juniors
I for one have never bagged Sam Burgess at all and I'm not so sure why anyone would! I think hes been our best player by far this season...I wouldn't say hes been as devastating as he was last season but I dont think hes been able to get into as much offensively (i.e. charging onto the ball close to the line, picking holes in the defensive line) because we've made so many handling errors and our attack has been disjointed! The problem with playing Sutton at lock is that he's caught between the devil and the deep blue sea....he's not quite a forward..and not quite a back and I think he looks confused as to when to inject himself in the game and how too as well! As for Dylan Walker...he's an out and out centre! He's a real talent with the ball in his hands but I dont think he has the ability to read the game and target weaknesses in the opposition defense that a no.6 should (call me old school..but im not a fan of this rubbish about playing an extra bull running centre at no.6...I prefer the traditional five-eight)

As for bagging the likes of Dave Tyrrell...I think thats a bit harsh...I'm not saying hes a superstar but thats not his role within the team..I think hes a solid 6/10 player who can come in, give our starting forwards a rest and do a job. What people need to realise is that under the salary cap in the NRL its near impossible to have a team from 1-17 thats completely world class and full of stars...every single team in the competition has players in their team who I would call "6/10 players" who can do a job but at the same time be the target of more skillful players. Luke Burgess on the other hand..Ive got my concerns about him...when he first came in 2011..I thought he was quite a decent player but at the moment he couldnt catch a cold in the middle of winter...(mind you if theres one weakness about the burgess brothers is that they make too many handling errors) and he doesnt take the ball up hard enough

People worry alot about players and like to whinge that players arent good enough etc etc..but thats not the biggest problem...you can win a comp with an ordinary squad if your team is organised and set up very well defensively...after all the Dragons won a comp in 2010 with an ordinary sqaud; I think the Rabbitohs squad of 2014 is much more talented and skillful than the Dragons of 2010!

souths_pride

Juniors
This.

I haven't bagged him coz he's leaving. I've bagged some of his bonehead plays, but I do that to all the players. Whoever taught all those Burgess boys to reach out for the tryline from 5 meters out and either drop the ball or get penalised for double movement needs to be shot. Also their pushing the offload with 3 defenders on them.

These plays are more a symptom of desperation...souths have behind on the scoreboard so often for the last few weeks and made so many errors that certain players have tried to force plays that were simply not on in order to get back into the game..I'm not saying this is the right thing to do but when you become desperate you start doing silly things!

Zigwaa

Bench
These plays are more a symptom of desperation...souths have behind on the scoreboard so often for the last few weeks and made so many errors that certain players have tried to force plays that were simply not on in order to get back into the game..I'm not saying this is the right thing to do but when you become desperate you start doing silly things!

The offloads thing you are right, but the tryline stuff they've been doing for years. It really needs to be coached out of them.

GI Cordial

Juniors
Why do we have a thread like this "The bagging of Sam Burgess" is just what the media are looking for a beat up. Leave Sam alone he is doing his job very well.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Look i'm not happy with what Sam's doing at the end of the year, but people have to realising he is doing as much as he can.

The problem lies in the team itself, not Sam. As someone pointed out he's made the most runs, metres, offloads and tackles out of anyone in the competition. If he stops pushing passes and dropping the ball he'll be in the most form player in the comp.

Hopefully he can lead us to a GF win and we can send him off a champion.

Nealo 12

First Grade
Also just checked the comp stats, he has made more metres than any other forward in the whole comp this season, averages the 2nd most runs by any player in the comp and is in the top 20 for tackles and offloads yet some Souths fans say he doesn't care anymore!

Just proves that the stats aren't always right !

Zigwaa

Bench
Would you Souths fans be saying the same thing if he wasn't going to Union? He made the most metres than any forward on Sunday, topped the tackle count, made the most offloads and the only error he made was giving a penalty away which shouldn't even have been a penalty yet you guys are blaming him for you losing? You need to look at other players starting with your hero and captain John Sutton, he has been absolutely woeful this season! Also players like Tyrell, Lowe and Picker are not 1st grade standard, Sam Burgess prob made more metres and more tackles than these 3 put together in Sunday!

Souths are actually my favourite team from the NRL. Look I'm not saying it's all Souths fans but some of them are saying Sam should leave now

Yes you did.

I think you are confusing Souths fans with non souths fans on this forum. Don't listen to media beat ups either.

am Says He's No Thug Or A Dirty Player

NICK WALSHAW
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
April 16, 2014

RABBITOHS superstar Sam Burgess has labelled “Squirrel Gate” the one great regret of his NRL career, admitting the unsavoury tackle on Melbourne centre Will Chambers could see him branded a thug forever.

Once a poster boy for rugby league, on Tuesday Burgess conceded his new ‘bad guy’ image is completely the result of one moment, eight months ago, which saw him convicted, and suspended, for grabbing the testicles of Chambers.

In a revealing interview, the 25-year-old also strongly denied claims of on-field thuggery, saying: “I don’t think I’m a dirty player, no”.

He also shrugged off suggestions he is unpopular among fans, and even urged NRL boss Dave Smith to go easy on the Penrith female who attacked him with a flag stick as he left the field last Friday night.

Asked about growing criticism of his playing style, Burgess replied: “I don’t think I’m a dirty player.

“But if there is one incident in my career I could take back, it would be the Chambers tackle. That’s what has labelled me, that one tackle.

“And I’ve had it done to me a few times in games, too. You know, accidental ... stuff happens.

“So people can have an opinion of me, it is what it is. My job is to get on with it.”

And as for just how he gets on with it?

“Look, football, it’s a tough game, a contact sport,’’ Burgess continued.

“At times it is going to get heated and you’ve got to accept that.

“But for me, what’s on the field stays on the field. I’m not one to come away and talk about it, hold grudges.

“Fans come to the games every week for the contact. That’s what I like as well.”

Souths superstar Greg Inglis agrees, strongly refuting suggestions Burgess plays the game illegally.

“We love what Sammy does because we want our forwards to be aggressive, to get under people’s skin - that’s what footy is,’’ Inglis said.

“And he knows what’s right from wrong.

“Sam’s an aggressive player ... and there’s a big difference between a dirty player and an aggressive player.”

Once ranked among the most popular players in the NRL, Burgess has endured a tumultuous past 12 months of broken contracts, broken hearts and, supposedly, a breaking of the brotherhood that is South Sydney’s playing roster.

The hulking Englishman has also suffered criticism for his release of a Grand Final week documentary, his regular Sydney Confidential appearances and those running battles with everyone from Sam Thaiday, Mitchell Pearce and Aaron Woods to the entire Manly Sea Eagles pack.

“Ah, I’m not too worried,’’ the Redfern enforcer shrugged.

“There are always going to be things written, good or bad, that you have to take it with a pinch of salt.

“It’s quite comical at times, (but) with the media stuff, I don’t regret it at all. I think as a player, it’s your duty to promote the game.’’

Elsewhere, Burgess insisted he had not been keeping track of Benji Marshall’s unhappy switch to rugby - “to be honest I haven’t seen a thing” - and also urged the NRL to go easy on the fan who whacked him over the melon.

“I’d feel pretty crappy if she was banned,’’ he said.

“I don’t want that to happen. Let’s forget about it. Don’t let it happen again but move on.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-a-dirty-players/story-fni3gki8-1226885545711

Latest posts