What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bears

Perth Red

Post Whore
Personally i would love to see a NRL club in Cairns.
The population is over 150,000 and the game is popular there, and also the rivalry with the Cowboys would create a North Queensland derby and a lot of interest in our game there.
A cairns team isnt going to be able to generate $17million a year lol.

cair s would be a great spot for a 10k stadium and a division 2 place though!

like this Roosters jersey from days past? Needs more black in it

That would look alright.

Support extending from the CBD down to Sutherland would make them a strong club on and off the field. I reckon the other codes would be worried if it came to fruition.

That would look alright.

Support extending from the CBD down to Sutherland would make them a strong club on and off the field. I reckon the other codes would be worried if it came to fruition.
That is already happening, just not in the way you would hope it to be.
Nick Politis and the Sharks board have had a close relationship ever since his National Soccer League (pre A-League) team ,Sydney Olympic, played out of Shark Park. Even last season Uncle Nick paid Fitzy to work two days a week solely with the Sharks getting prepared for this year.
8 or 9 years ago Cronulla went into an agreement with Wyong on the Central Coast and were looking at that area as expansion. The Roosters wanted it so in return they gave us back Newtown as our feeder club and they started their ascension into the Central Coast.
They then got The Bears to become their feeder team and now have all the CC juniors playing under the Roosters banner. Manly have really dropped the ball in this regard, they are now resorting to try and use Blackown as a base to try and up their stakes in trying to gain some other junior pathways. The Central Coast was there for the taking, and the Roosters have taken it.
Meanwhile the Sharks have been building their own junior systems up to the point to where we have the second most participants (male and female) behind the Penrith region. We are a development club. The St. George area competition has weakened so much that their teams are now starting to play in our competition. Once they all fold into our comps that means we have from Waterfall to the Cooks River. Across the Cooks River is Newtown area and they are already our feeder club so ya know their area goes from Tempe up into the CBD through Newtown then Broadway.
Once this has been totally achieved we will turn our eyes onto Helensburgh, after all it is closer to the Shire than it is to Win Stadium....
*Please note, I am having a little bit of fun here but there are some truths in this post as well

That is already happening, just not in the way you would hope it to be.
Nick Politis and the Sharks board have had a close relationship ever since his National Soccer League (pre A-League) team ,Sydney Olympic, played out of Shark Park. Even last season Uncle Nick paid Fitzy to work two days a week solely with the Sharks getting prepared for this year.
8 or 9 years ago Cronulla went into an agreement with Wyong on the Central Coast and were looking at that area as expansion. The Roosters wanted it so in return they gave us back Newtown as our feeder club and they started their ascension into the Central Coast.
They then got The Bears to become their feeder team and now have all the CC juniors playing under the Roosters banner. Manly have really dropped the ball in this regard, they are now resorting to try and use Blackown as a base to try and up their stakes in trying to gain some other junior pathways. The Central Coast was there for the taking, and the Roosters have taken it.
Meanwhile the Sharks have been building their own junior systems up to the point to where we have the second most participants (male and female) behind the Penrith region. We are a development club. The St. George area competition has weakened so much that their teams are now starting to play in our competition. Once they all fold into our comps that means we have from Waterfall to the Cooks River. Across the Cooks River is Newtown area and they are already our feeder club so ya know their area goes from Tempe up into the CBD through Newtown then Broadway.
Once this has been totally achieved we will turn our eyes onto Helensburgh, after all it is closer to the Shire than it is to Win Stadium....
*Please note, I am having a little bit of fun here but there are some truths in this post as well
It's good having a link with junior clubs based outside of Sutherland, but it won't translate into people from those areas becoming fans of the Sharks. It doesn't represent any region outside of Sutherland.

If the club wants to appeal to people outside of Sutherland then they'll need a broader name like Southern Sydney.

It's good having a link with junior clubs based outside of Sutherland, but it won't translate into people from those areas becoming fans of the Sharks. It doesn't represent any region outside of Sutherland.

If the club wants to appeal to people outside of Sutherland then they'll need a broader name like Southern Sydney.
I have a feeling that you are too young to remember this, and you know what that's a fair call in your negative views of Cronulla, I accept that.
We did decide to try and appeal to a.much wider audience during the 90's, we changed ore name to "Sharks"... this was in the time when it was Sydney Tigers, Sydney Roosters, Sydney Bulldogs etc.
Peter Gow, our president and Elle's dad, bought the rights to David Bowies song "We can be Heroes", and this advert was played on national TV. I liked it a lot, but I'm bias. We are a well supported team, the problem is that a great deal of our fans do not show the love through membership. It's a real problem, I recognise it and will never ever defend our supporters whom do not pay the dues.
Anyway, just for you mate. This was the advertisement we had going on in the mid 90's.

siv

First Grade
I think there’s always going to be 2-3 clubs in Sydney which are going to be small. The Western Sydney clubs have a chance to be well supported as that is where the growth in Sydney is going to be. Penrith might need to extend their reach out to Western NSW so they could reach their potential in terms of supporters.

South Eastern Sydney is big enough for one well supported club which is Souths (they are going to be fine btw - probably the biggest club in Sydney) Yes, they were saved by Crowe but they have converted their money to strong renewed support.

In a perfect world you could fit one other club stretching down to Wollongong that could be well supported ( particularly if they could stretch that support right down to the South Coast of NSW)

Then one big club in North Sydney.

On the Roosters, they are never going to be well supported. Maybe you are under some illusion because you are based in Queensland and they are media darlings but essentially the only reason they are still alive is down to one man: Politis. Despite their unparalleled on field success and money over the past 20 years their supporter base hasn’t grown much (unlike Souths in comparison). You could kick Manly out and give them the whole area from Central Coast to Sydney CBD and they still wouldn’t be well supported. It’s essentially an illusion.

In fact on the topic of mergers, if you wanted another merger (which wasn’t discussed) then perhaps it would have made more sense to merge Manly/Roosters. They would have had at least something in common: everybody who doesn’t follow them, hates them.

They have become the Northern Sydney Bears

I have a feeling that you are too young to remember this, and you know what that's a fair call in your negative views of Cronulla, I accept that.
We did decide to try and appeal to a.much wider audience during the 90's, we changed ore name to "Sharks"... this was in the time when it was Sydney Tigers, Sydney Roosters, Sydney Bulldogs etc.
Peter Gow, our president and Elle's dad, bought the rights to David Bowies song "We can be Heroes", and this advert was played on national TV. I liked it a lot, but I'm bias. We are a well supported team, the problem is that a great deal of our fans do not show the love through membership. It's a real problem, I recognise it and will never ever defend our supporters whom do not pay the dues.
Anyway, just for you mate. This was the advertisement we had going on in the mid 90's.

Was that in 1995 when Optus was the main sponsor of the ARL?

I remember the Sydney City Roosters, Sydney Bulldogs and Sydney Tigers. Too many teams called "Sydney". We also had North Sydney Bears and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Manly should have adopted the brand North Sydney Sea Eagles in 2003 and split games between SFS and Central Coast Stadium. If they did then they would have a larger fanbase on the North Shore and generate more money from sponsorship deals.

Wests Tigers should be Western Sydney Tigers.

I honestly don't know what can be done to turn casual fans into active supporters who buy memberships. I hate to admit it, but RL fans are less parochial than AwFuL's supporter base. If we don't address this disparity then fumbleball will generate more money to spend on promotion and junior development.

Dogs Of War

Coach

I remember the Sydney City Roosters, Sydney Bulldogs and Sydney Tigers. Too many teams called "Sydney". We also had North Sydney Bears and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Manly should have adopted the brand North Sydney Sea Eagles in 2003 and split games between SFS and Central Coast Stadium. If they did then they would have a larger fanbase on the North Shore and generate more money from sponsorship deals.

I honestly don't know what can be done to turn casual fans into active supporters who buy memberships. I hate to admit it, but RL fans are less parochial than AwFuL's supporter base. If we don't address this disparity then fumbleball will generate more money to spend on promotion and junior development.

In the 90's a good membership base was considered 3k. It's going to take a good 2 generations of promoting memberships to make that something that is just expected. Having good facilities at grounds helps a lot as well.

What I would like to see is in the lead up to xmas, is the NRL promoting something like club membership as a gift. But that would mean all clubs need to get their acts together and offer them by say mid-Nov so the NRL can do that promotion. Especially if you make some price points like $100 for 3 games across all clubs, with the ability to upgrade the membership to any other membership. Special xmas membership.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In the 90's a good membership base was considered 3k. It's going to take a good 2 generations of promoting memberships to make that something that is just expected. Having good facilities at grounds helps a lot as well.

What I would like to see is in the lead up to xmas, is the NRL promoting something like club membership as a gift. But that would mean all clubs need to get their acts together and offer them by say mid-Nov so the NRL can do that promotion. Especially if you make some price points like $100 for 3 games across all clubs, with the ability to upgrade the membership to any other membership. Special xmas membership.
nrl was stupid handing membership marketing back to the clubs. It’s noticeable how much the growth has slowed down since they did that.

Perhaps Cronulla should change it's name to the Southern New South Wales Sharks. Now that name would have broad appeal

A membership gift package would be great. Provide members with entry to three games and an autograph from their favourite player on their birthday for an extra $30. The money from autographs can go directly to players. This will help Queensland teams lure players from Sydney. It will also incentivise good player behaviour towards fans.