What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bell Try

jimmy_pop

Juniors
i reckon everysingle one of the tries that the storm were awarded were "no try". The Bell try is obvious, the orford try looked like he lost it and the matt king try, well it looked sort of fair but at the time I was sure he was taken out before he put it down AND there were a couple of forward passes there. Storm played like sh*t anyway, they didn't deserve the win last week!

BD5733

Juniors
manlysucks said:
On the topic of bad decisions, how was the Inglis try a No Try. I don't support either side, but there is no way that could have been a no try. In the rules it is a knock on if the ball propels forwards amd hits the ground or another player. It did neither of those, so my assumption is that the video ref thought it was a forward pass. Which he can't rule on!!!

Can someone shed some light?

By Inglis catching the ball, thats where the 'hitting another player' comes into play. So as soon as Inglis caught it, it was ruled a knock on agianst (Bell???)

jimmy_pop

Juniors
LESStar58 said:
Stop f**king complaining! Its not like they had any affect on the final result!

KARMICHAEL HUNT FEARS MATT KING!(bullsh*t) BRETT HODGSON FEARS ANTONIO KAUFUSI! RYAN HOFFMAN FEARS NOBODY!
Ryan Hoffman was crying like a little s**t last night! :lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
nqboy said:
I'm always amused by these fulltime ref suggestions. What's their career path? The reffing might feed them for 10 years, what do they do then? What do they do when they're too old to ref? Why should we keep paying them when they're dropped for poor form or getting a decision wrong like last night?

What's the career path of the greater majority of proffesional sports men and women in this country?

manlysucks

Juniors
BD5733 said:
By Inglis catching the ball, thats where the 'hitting another player' comes into play. So as soon as Inglis caught it, it was ruled a knock on agianst (Bell???)

Sorry should have clarified it better. BY hitting another player I mean from the other team. It can't be a knock on if the ball is batted up forward in the air and doesn't touch a player from the opposition. That is a forward pass, which the video ref can't rule on

Iafeta

Referee
manlysucks said:
On the topic of bad decisions, how was the Inglis try a No Try. I don't support either side, but there is no way that could have been a no try. In the rules it is a knock on if the ball propels forwards amd hits the ground or another player. It did neither of those, so my assumption is that the video ref thought it was a forward pass. Which he can't rule on!!!

Can someone shed some light?

Yep, ball passed, hit Bell/Geyer (one or the other), deflected forward, Inglis caught it which means its a knock on.

So, in what you're saying, the ball proppelled forward, and hit another player. The only way the knock on could have been averted is if the player who touched it caught it.

Iafeta

Referee
manlysucks said:
Sorry should have clarified it better. BY hitting another player I mean from the other team. It can't be a knock on if the ball is batted up forward in the air and doesn't touch a player from the opposition. That is a forward pass, which the video ref can't rule on

No, the difference is a forward pass is when a player attempts to make a pass, he wasn't attempting to make a pass, he was attempting to catch the ball and caused the error so its classed as a knock on.

You can still have a knock on without it hitting the ground or an opposition player if one of your team-mates catch it, if you haven't attempted a legitimate pass and the ball has deflected forward, which happened in this case.

Clear no try.

Iafeta

Referee
LESStar58 said:
Stop f**king complaining! Its not like they had any affect on the final result!

Thats not the point, is it? Its debate on the referees mistake.

I mean what if it did affect the outcome. The Storm came home strongly, what if they won by 4 points. What if it was the other way around and your team lost by 4 poinst with a decision like that, and Robbie Kearns, Matt Orford, Steve Bell got robbed in their last game for your club.

Potentially, this sort of blunder could hurt a club - Simpkins showed there he's more than capable of making a bad blunder so he shouldn't be given the chance to wrongly decide a match of the magnitude of the matches coming up.

Poor piece of refereeing, even moreso when he stood about 3-4 metres away in the perfect position to make the decision. At the most crucial moment somehow he must have allowed his attention to be diverted and made an "assumption", which referees should not be making. If he had lost focus for .5 of a second he should have had the guts to go to the video ref, thats what they're there for.

shadow grinder

First Grade
the ref was sh*t...made heaps of mistakes...but he didnt cost the storm the game nor did he gie the win to cowboys.

i myself as a storm fan couldnt believe he gave the bell try....but what do you expect ? the refs have been sh*t ALL year.

nqboy

First Grade
manlysucks said:
No, it's a knock forward.

nqboy

First Grade
t-ba said:
What's the career path of the greater majority of proffesional sports men and women in this country?
OT, we're talking about the refs. And what about the other points I raised?