What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Best Of the Fitz Files 2004

Bluebag

Juniors
This was in todays SMH best of from Peter Fitzsimons.

"On a Saturday in April, two of rugby league's foundation clubs, Newtown and North Sydney, were battling to win the Frank Hyde Shield at Henson Park. At half-time, after 40 minutes of torrid but entertaining football, the Jets were holding a narrow lead. Then the great Frank Hyde himself, who started playing for Newtown in 1934 before going to play with Norths, was presented to the crowd from the commentary position and the people cheered. The octogenarian was nearing the end of a wonderful speech of reminiscences when someone in the crowd yelled out, "Danny Boy!" Now, I want everyone to imagine they were there, as we all participate in what happened next. Are you with me ..? Hyde pauses, looks a little misty, gazes down on the crowd and replies softly, "Would you like to hear Danny Boy, would you?" We certainly would. Out on the breeze then, across Henson Park over the crowd and beyond, comes a hauntingly beautiful rendition of Danny Boy. And, now, I want all TFF readers to hum it as the great man sings, but I want you to all hold the note on the words "meadow", "shadow" and most particularly "here". Ready? And a one, and a two, and a one-two-three! Take it away, Mr Frankie ... "Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling; From glen to glen, and down the mountain side The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying; 'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide. But come ye back when summer's in the meadowww, Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow

'Cos I'll be HEEEEEEEERE in sunshine, or in sha-a-a-a-dowwww, Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you soooo ..." Thank you, thank you all. Stunning. You see? Flickering, maybe, but that wondrous torch of league-as-it-was still burns! Newtown went on to beat Norths 42-20 to win the cup for 2004."

Footy as it should be.

Bluebag

Juniors
The first game at Henson will be a cracker with Norths fielding several Storm players so apart from the Bears being much stronger next season this clash will be even more difficult.

Jets in a close one.

Not a game to be missed at all.

NZ Jet

Juniors
"On a Saturday in April, two of rugby league's foundation clubs, Newtown and North Sydney, were battling to win the Frank Hyde Shield at Henson Park. At half-time, after 40 minutes of torrid but entertaining football, the Jets were holding a narrow lead. Then the great Frank Hyde himself, who started playing for Newtown in 1934 before going to play with Norths, was presented to the crowd from the commentary position and the people cheered. The octogenarian was nearing the end of a wonderful speech of reminiscences when someone in the crowd yelled out, "Danny Boy!" Now, I want everyone to imagine they were there, as we all participate in what happened next. Are you with me ..? Hyde pauses, looks a little misty, gazes down on the crowd and replies softly, "Would you like to hear Danny Boy, would you?" We certainly would. Out on the breeze then, across Henson Park over the crowd and beyond, comes a hauntingly beautiful rendition of Danny Boy. And, now, I want all TFF readers to hum it as the great man sings, but I want you to all hold the note on the words "meadow", "shadow" and most particularly "here". Ready? And a one, and a two, and a one-two-three! Take it away, Mr Frankie ... "Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling; From glen to glen, and down the mountain side The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying; 'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide. But come ye back when summer's in the meadowww, Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow

'Cos I'll be HEEEEEEEERE in sunshine, or in sha-a-a-a-dowwww, Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you soooo ..." Thank you, thank you all. Stunning. You see? Flickering, maybe, but that wondrous torch of league-as-it-was still burns! Newtown went on to beat Norths 42-20 to win the cup for 2004."

Stunning indeed. Not forgotten in a hurry.
Let's hope Frank is in good health and can repeat the performance this year....and the Jets do likewise

Latest posts