What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Biggest Rule Changes since 1994

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Here is a stripping rule that could work.

Maximum two players are allowed in the tackle and the player must be still moving forward and not called held. Keep the current scenario of the one on one strip the same. Also, bring back striking for the ball in the ruck, this would ensure players are more likely to pay attention to the way they play the ball.

simon says

First Grade
40-20 is a great rule.

Stripping is diabolical,as is the play the ball.Can the stripping law.If a bloke cant hang onto it then tough,go play soccer.

Allow the marker to play for the ball,and watch that area slow down a lot.

Bring these two back and footy is footy again.......

rugged

Juniors
Not allowing ball stealing and not contesting rucks or scrums in league is making the game a farce.

Rugby will end up better than league if we take away all the contest from the game.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
The main impetus behind the 'dominant tackle' rule was to encourage really big Martin Lang-type charges into the defence. What this promoted was that any guy with an ounce of courage could bring him down, just squat in front of his legs, and you'd bring him down.

Then all and sundry would jump on top and hold him down until the defence got back 10 metres.

What this meant was that a guy who dragged a bunch of defenders 15 metres, or some guy who was brought down around the ankle would get up immediately, as the defender has to roll off, and hence give a quick play the ball.

Which is really beneficial as we all know.

The second, regarding one-on-one stripping is to promote offloading. If a guy tackles you low you either drop to the ground, or you remain upright with the tacklers should around your waist.

The result is you will either give a quick play the ball (discussed above) or look immediately to offload. To promote the offload as much as possible, players who have a defender around the waist can now hold the ball like a frisbee, palming it in one hand. Very insecure, but now under no threat of a second defender stripping it.

If you allowed a return to stripping, all you'd ever see would be Chris Anderson style 5 drives and a kick, with the forwards tucking the ball under the jumper and holding on with 2 hands.

The change of rule where no raking occured, this is purely a rule changed because of Bill Harrigan's ego.

I remember seeing so many games early 90's, where Ian Roberts and Benny Elias would rake the ball, the ball had been placed on the ground for at least 1.5 seconds, but as soon as they raked the ball, Harrigan would blow a penalty.

Then with SL, he became the technical advisor and wrote the book.

I'd like to see at the very least a tap forward if no makrer rule returned.

bazza

Immortal
DvdHntr said:
Here is a stripping rule that could work.

Maximum two players are allowed in the tackle and the player must be still moving forward and not called held. Keep the current scenario of the one on one strip the same. Also, bring back striking for the ball in the ruck, this would ensure players are more likely to pay attention to the way they play the ball.

I have to agree with you. I think allowing up to 2 players to still strip will ensure there are less stupid penalties and would stop a 3rd player going in just to strip the ball.

Also with striking in the play the ball - I know there were a lot of penalties here - and not many people did it properly - but it would slow down the play-the-ball a bit and maybe stop so much dummy half running

rugged

Juniors
I agree that Harrigan tried to reshape the game and even helped manufacture the results of some games to what HE thought were the best interests of Rugby League.

Latest posts