What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"The Blockbuster" Matt Johns' Match of the Round

Davester

Juniors
Something for fellow supporters to read ;-) enjoy!

Matt Johns - RLW magazine (18/8/04) said:
MATT JOHNS' MATCH OF THE ROUND
BRONCOS v WESTS TIGERS

History Beckons
This is the most important match in the Wests Tigers' short history. There's plenty of congestion around eighth spot, but I'm prepared to say that if the Tigers win this, they're in the finals - they deserve to be.

Tim Sheens and his men have done a magnificent job this year. They have done what many people predicted - after a good end to 2003 they jumped to the next level.

It hasn't been all clear sailing through. They've had to overcome a horror mid-season where they leaked points and find a way to rebuild confidence and composure.

In doing this, they have emerged from their little slump a much better football team.

There are several reasons why they've come on this year. I feel that the players have finally adapted to and felt comfortable with the style of play Sheens has developed for them - and of course, there's the enormous success of all their new signings.

Each of the new faces have achieved what they were brought for. Brett Hodgson provides variation, strike on kick returns and a second reciever option; Pat Richards, Jason Moodie and Shane Elford have provided spped and reliable finishng; Todd Payten has provided punch and a bit of finesse up front; Scott Prince has provided class and direction; while Scott Sattler has brought belief, a winning feel and experience.

BRONCOS

The Tigers may have a lot to play for but it certainly doesn't guarantee success, particularly when coming up against the battle-hardened Broncos. While they went down by quite a margin last Sunday, Brisbane played some great football, and it was only some miraculous defence by the Bulldogs which kept the Broncos out.

Don't be fooled by the scoreline. There were many good signs for the Broncos - Karmichael Hunt's performance on his biggest stage yet, Shaun Berrigan's constant improvement after an injury lay-off, and Neville Costigan's contribution.

There are a couple of big injury concerns though. Shane Webcke's calf will be giving coach Wayne Bennett a lot of grief, along with Lockyer's ribs.

If those big guns don't come up, the Tigers' stocks will certainly rise. With Brisbane looking like they've locked into third place, the club may look to rest both.

Even though they went down, I think the Broncos confirmed themselves as real premiership contenders last week.

SCOTT PRINCE

He'll be the key. If the Broncos have a weakness in defence, it's their ability to read the bodies in motion plays in their face, and Prince has put these types of plays on all season with great success.

Sheens will be encouraging Prince to go to the line with angled runners and hole-hitters all game. If his forwards can provide the space through ruck dominance, this will be the Tigers' most lethal weapon.

Watch for Prince and Hodgson working in tandem. The ability of the big Broncos pack to handle this threat will be the determining factor in this contest.

FANCY A PUNT
First Tryscorer - for the Tigers, go for Brett Hodgson, while for the Broncos, Neville Costigan would be worth a look at good odds.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Spot on Matty! There's also that belief we can beat them up there (last years sucess) to go on too I reckon watch for Robbie Mears to make a higher impact in this game too, especially in the second half when the broncs start tiring.

innsaneink

Referee
I also agrre that Prince and Hodgson (yet again) hold the key.
Plays like we saw from them against the dogs will work yet again.

Tigers quoted this morning with 8.5 start and $3.20...juicy.

Moodie first try scorer......I'll be so bold as to predict he'll getta double.

HOT028

Juniors
$3.20 well i am off to the tab and i think it is richards time for first try scorer after running over that cutie.

innsaneink

Referee
Wrighty79 said:
$3.20????? I'm all over that!

Sorry mate .....listeneing this morning to 2KY im sure he said $3.20 but now I think he said $3.00 even....
just checking now weve come in to $2.90....I expect us to firm even more when news [-o< of Tallis' suspension comes thru....probably start around 5/4.

Wrighty79

Juniors
innsaneink said:
Wrighty79 said:

Sorry mate .....listeneing this morning to 2KY im sure he said $3.20 but now I think he said $3.00 even....
just checking now weve come in to $2.90....I expect us to firm even more when news [-o&lt, post: of Tallis' suspension comes thru....[color=red"]probably start around 5/4[/color].

5/4???? I can't see us starting any shorter than 9/4 mate. 5/4 :lol: :lol:

tigpie cam

Juniors
that matty johns likes us,always gives us wraps.
smart man,knows his footy.
unlike that fat arse genga vautin.
nz tab opened the tigers at 3.40,juicy!!
got them at the end of a multi
hewitt to win tennis at 4$
el garoogh to win 1500 at olympics at 2.50$
wallabies to beat s.a. at 2.30$
and tigers at 3.40 to win minimum of 700$ from 10$ bet , heres hoping :)

jy

Juniors
i heard matt and joey johns used to be huge tiger fans when they were kids. i reckon you can tell matty still has some affection for the club

Wrighty79

Juniors
jy said:
i heard matt and joey johns used to be huge tiger fans when they were kids. i reckon you can tell matty still has some affection for the club

I know, imagine if there wasn't a Newcastle!

Tigerpete

Juniors
jy said:

Hows this for a funny one.............

Matty = Tigers fan as a kid
Andrew = Magpies fan as a kid.

innsaneink

Referee
Wrighty79 said:
innsaneink said:
Wrighty79 said:

just checking now weve come in to $2.90....I expect us to firm even more when news [-o&lt, post: of Tallis' suspension comes thru....[color=red"]probably start around 5/4[/color].

5/4???? I can't see us starting any shorter than 9/4 mate. 5/4 :lol: :lol:

Our price started yesterday at.....
$3.00...then
$2.90...now
$2.65

....currently still at $2.65.....much shorter than 9/4, why do you think we'll blow out?