What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The bottle incident could have been avoided

BranVan3000

Coach
I've had 90% good experiences with Dogs fans in recent years. They were all great at the Grand Final, had many congratulate me and a few party with us after wards. But there has still been the odd game where I've felt like Dogs fans have been threatening me, my friends or people around me. And that has only happened at Dogs games. There is a real bad element in the Dogs crowds and I don't think these people are real football fans at all. The equivalent of soccer hooligans

innsaneink

Referee
The biggest hazard with staying out on the field is the potential for the ground to be swarmed by fans. It only takes a couple idiots to jump the gates and the rest hurl over like a bunch of sheep and all of a sudden the situation becomes unmanageable for security and police. It's not something I can ever recall happening in Australia but that doesn't mean we should be naive to the potential of it happening.

Running up the tunnel was the smartest thing to do, get out of view as quick as possible of the angry fans. Maybe there might have been a smarter exit though, I know there's a couple of entry/exit points to the field.
We saw it with a tonga v samoa game I think at penrith a few years back?
Though that was celebratory and a positive mood, not disgruntled fans....but same situation when a large crowd decides to hop the fence not a lot can be done

saint.nick

Coach
I've had 90% good experiences with Dogs fans in recent years. They were all great at the Grand Final, had many congratulate me and a few party with us after wards. But there has still been the odd game where I've felt like Dogs fans have been threatening me, my friends or people around me. And that has only happened at Dogs games. There is a real bad element in the Dogs crowds and I don't think these people are real football fans at all. The equivalent of soccer hooligans

They have that element of young/youngish fans who go to rather act intimidating than to watch a game of football.

Surrogate

Juniors
There are crazy people who invade the field and attack referees.

Another solution is to provide a retractable cover to protect players and refs as they exit.

POPEYE

Coach
Put Tony Abbott on the gates, turn around any supporter who looks like he'd throw a bottle

Liddell

Juniors
It would have been avoided if their fans actually knew the rules.

People can play it down as passion all they like but it was embarrassing for the whole code. Yes, other clubs have been guilty of the same thing but why is it always this same fan base carrying on like this? The NRL warned them to fix this shit a few years back and nothing has changed.

The coward punch on a teenage Souths fan just sums up that club.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Get upset at a game, boo the ref off.

To instead throw bottles or king hit opposition supporters, says plenty about some Dogs supporters.
This is not the first time.

Embarrassing for the game.

Card Shark

Immortal
Very embarrassing.

We just lost a stack of junior players & junior refs.

This code is killing itself.

footy75

Bench
Very embarrassing.

We just lost a stack of junior players & junior refs.

This code is killing itself.

This, dont underestimate the damage done to the game yesterday.

The game is great but unfortunately Bulldogs fans are mental. Standing in huge packs throwing bottles at refs and linesman and one who was 21 years old. Shit behaviour.

Every team feels like they get robbed at times and it's emotional..but to throw bottles and start fighting...

BuffaloRules

Coach
If the crowd acting up and players abusing referees really did any damage to a sporting code, soccer would have died 50 years ago...

Card Shark

Immortal
If the crowd acting up and players abusing referees really did any damage to a sporting code, soccer would have died 50 years ago...

Fair point mate but soccer is seen as the "soft" sport that mummy will let little Johnny (or Susie) play.

Mummies don't like the big bullies in rugby league but daddy always defends it.

Daddies are running out of excuses for the game.

Latest posts