What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Bulldogs Two Main Problems

hairy asad

Juniors
After yesterdays game against the sharks two main tactical reasons for the bulldogs poor first half performance emerged:
1) No runs out of dummy half (too much one off the ruck stuff)
2) No long kicking game

The dummy half problem could be solved with a livewire hooker like a billy ngawini but im resigned to this never happening because of his so called "poor defence"......

The way to fix both problems is simple......it involves reinstating Holdsoworth (who actually played quite well in the early weeks) and killing adam perrry. Holdworth has a decent long kicking game and obviously this is what we lack. Even though Anasta was never really talented his long kicking game complimented sherwin nicely and took loads of pressure off him.

But roberts should hang around as an x factor so why doesn't folkes do this:
6) Holdsworth
7) Sherwin
9) Hughes
14) Roberts

Hughes starts to tighten up ruck defence and at around the 25 minute mark roberts comes on to add some spark. He should slot into the 7 with sherwin shifiting to hooker. This would help because sherwin has a good one hand pick up and putting him at hooker will encourage him to take the line on more.

The only problems really are then having an inconsistent halves combo and sherwin's unknown performance at hooker. But still it can't be worse than what we have at the moment. This situation is actually a lot like in 2001 with anasta, trindall and sherwin.....too much talent and not enough positions.

BlueFenix

Juniors
I did not watch the game yesterday (dam work stuff) was the weather terrible? if so i do not think you can really disect the game. We've done alright against other teams lately.

RE: Holdsworth - There must be some reason why Holdsworth has basically slipped out the back door that we are not privvy to, he was doing OK and was defo better than Roberts at the start of the season. IMO there is more there than we know about.

Could you please lighten up on the 'Killing Adam Perry' gear, he has proudly worn the Blue and White for a long time. Maybe a bit of anger management perhaps!

jimmythehand

Juniors
our hookers are slow there's no doubt about it, and that's why we don't run from dummy half. Why we have two hookers in the same mould playing in the same team is a mystery when we have a guy like ngawini in reserves.

I think Holdsworth deserves his spot in reserve grade because he wasn't adding anything to the team. Roberts adds speed and this has been a really big asset to us since he came back into the side.

Roberts also showed in the Test Match that he has a good long kicking game, and I think Sherwin's got a long enough kick too. Obviously they both need to do a bit of practice after yesterday's effort but they both have the ability to do a fine job.

Sherwin has to stay at halfback, you don't weaken your halfback spot to make another position stronger.

D

Deleted member 10972

We'll take Holdsworth if you don't want him. We desperately need a 5-8. We'll give you Monaghan, Harrison, Roberts too. And you can have Myles & Tonga back as well.

Before you have success on field the off-field culture, of binge drinking, no respect for code of conduct and general lack of respect for civil law needs to be addressed.

Unfortunately your current CEO doesnt just condone these misdemeanours he embraces them!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Baron Vo Mandor said:
Before you have success on field the off-field culture, of binge drinking, no respect for code of conduct and general lack of respect for civil law needs to be addressed.

Unfortunately your current CEO doesnt just condone these misdemeanours he embraces them!

Addressed how?

Like they already have been, you stupid f**kwit?

Grow a brain.

Also, remember in 2004 what happened?

Not only were their allegations levelled about Coffs, we took home this:

knTROPHY_narrowweb__300x467,2.jpg

'nuff said.

hairy asad

Juniors
BlueFenix said:
I did not watch the game yesterday (dam work stuff) was the weather terrible? if so i do not think you can really disect the game. We've done alright against other teams lately.

RE: Holdsworth - There must be some reason why Holdsworth has basically slipped out the back door that we are not privvy to, he was doing OK and was defo better than Roberts at the start of the season. IMO there is more there than we know about.

Could you please lighten up on the 'Killing Adam Perry' gear, he has proudly worn the Blue and White for a long time. Maybe a bit of anger management perhaps!

The weather was fine really until the last 20 minutes or so........and i would also like to know why holdsworth was dumped because he was one of our most consistent players in the opening rounds......

Also i am not doubting sherwins and roberts long kicking game...i know it can be good but why not take pressure off them if you can....holdsworth has a great long kicking game and we really missed that in the first half yesterday. It is a shame that there is no place for him in the side especially after seeing his development.

And another thing.....if players don't stay loyal to clubs in search of more money (which i have no problem with really) why should clubs remain loyal to players? Seems like a double standard to me. Just because someone has been with a club for a while why should they stay longer than they are due.....they have to leave sometime and if adam perry is a true club man he should understand that he should make way for new up and coming players of the future.

D

Deleted member 10972

Dodger said:
Holdsworth isn't playing well.

I don't care, i'd rather have a 5-8 not playing well at our club then no 5-8 at all.

hairy asad

Juniors
jimmythehand said:
our hookers are slow there's no doubt about it, and that's why we don't run from dummy half. Why we have two hookers in the same mould playing in the same team is a mystery when we have a guy like ngawini in reserves.

I think Holdsworth deserves his spot in reserve grade because he wasn't adding anything to the team. Roberts adds speed and this has been a really big asset to us since he came back into the side.

Roberts also showed in the Test Match that he has a good long kicking game, and I think Sherwin's got a long enough kick too. Obviously they both need to do a bit of practice after yesterday's effort but they both have the ability to do a fine job.

Sherwin has to stay at halfback, you don't weaken your halfback spot to make another position stronger.

I don't think sherwin and roberts sharing the halfback role really weakens the position. Roberts is a great player no doubt, but he will most likely be our halfback when sherwin leaves and should be groomed this way. If he does want to become a 5/8 later thats fine but it is easier to go from halfback to 5/8 than the other way around.

And sherwin plays like a hooker sometimes anyway. He scoots out of dummy half and also has improved his defence heaps. Sometimes changing positions revitalises a player in their twilight (like shaun berrigan).

I just think that holdsworth, sherwin and roberts all deserve places in the team but with hughes and perry as well thats 5 players for 4 places (6,7,9 and interchange). The bulldogs team of the future will contain holdsworth and roberts and I think that they should be prepared for this as soon as possible.

Broomball#1

Juniors
Holdsworth will ask for a release by season's end if he doesnt get game time. i dont see holdworth or roberts playing at hooker, especially if hughes takes up the 1 year contract and apparently the dogs still looking for a dummy half outside the club (the latest i heard is michael sullivan from warrington).

As long as the dogs keep winning, folkes will stick with the same side, which means perry on the bench, sherwin and roberts in halves, hughes starting and holdworth doing his thing in premier league.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Roberts is absolutely awful

I can't understand, so many clubs have ok halfs and yet their fans bag them out. The Bulldogs have a deadset spastic in Roberts, and the fans all seem to rate him.

jimmythehand

Juniors
i used to think that about Roberts too, but now I see lots of potential in him. At the moment I think he is very green, but once he ripens up a bit I can see him being a gun player. I can see where you're coming from Thierry, but I can also see why NZ rate him as their present and future half back. With more experience I think he will blossom.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Have to agree with Jimmy. He is still learning when to inject himself. At the start he wanted to slip out a pass every tackle and made heaps of errors because of it, then he went a bit reserved trying not to make a mistake, but lost that x factor. I think he is starting to find a balance in his game, and can only get better because of it. Though he still might end up a hooker as he still plays more for himself, rather than the team.

jimmythehand

Juniors
hey hey hey who setup the first try for us that got us back into the game against Cronulla? It was roberts with a beautiful play for Tonga ....

Yes he does go himself a lot, but he's also good at stepping one defender, drawing another and passing which is a good basic skill to have.

Dodger said:
Addressed how?

Like they already have been, you stupid f**kwit?

Grow a brain.

Also, remember in 2004 what happened?

Not only were their allegations levelled about Coffs, we took home this:

knTROPHY_narrowweb__300x467,2.jpg

'nuff said.

Dear Dodge.

I am not talking about Coffs, so dont let your residual guilt over the clubs actions during that time drag this into a debate about that, Coffs has been run into the ground too many times.

I am talking about your clubs many violent and/or incidents that break either the clubs own code of ethics or in just as many cases the law.

Then when any outlet in the media dares to attack the dogs, your dog of a CEO automatically retorts by attacking them rather then trying to deal with the core of the problem.

He as your club is a joke.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
jimmythehand said:
i used to think that about Roberts too, but now I see lots of potential in him. At the moment I think he is very green, but once he ripens up a bit I can see him being a gun player. I can see where you're coming from Thierry, but I can also see why NZ rate him as their present and future half back. With more experience I think he will blossom.

I fear we will keep picking him. fmd he was dreadful in the Anzac test.

There's nothing I hate more than a young half who everyone rates because he is fast and elusive. It usually takes about half a season to see how clueless he is in other facets of the playmakers game. See: Lance Hohaia.

The Warriors at the moment are overflowing with Roberts like players- Fien, Hohaia, Rovelli. Little nippy guys with good running games, but not a half's arsehole. I think it's telling that Roberts is constantly being referred to as an option at hooker. That's where inept halves with a bit of speed and footwork end up.

Sorry to go a bit OTT, he didn't steal my girlfriend or run over my dog or anything :lol: but from what I've seen of Roberts his ball-handling and option-taking are woeful....and I make an effort to watch the Dogs every week cos you guys are my 2nd team and I love watching my cuz SBW

jimmythehand

Juniors
well at the moment i can't disagree too much with you - but I have hope that more experience will see him turn into an excellent player. fingers crossed!

Latest posts