What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Canberra Raiders

I was wrong

In a particular sports tipsters comp I'm in I had to nominate the 06 wooden spooners in the NRL, and through no malice, and now seemingly ill-informed judgement I picked the Raiders to finish with League's most dreaded prize.

For last couple of season, the once-mighty Raiders have been written off by more than just me. Player losses, indeed lack of "quality" players, injuries etc etc have hit the club as much as, if not more than, all other clubs. And only Souths could possibly compete with lack of interest from big-name signatures. Going into this season I could not see how they could come near to competing for a top 8 finish with the cattle they had. But here we are, after 19 rounds and they are in there with a great fighting chance.

Twice a year our company hosts a corporate box at Raiders games for our Canberra clients, which I attend. I was at the game on Sunday, and now have a new-found respect for the green machine. Unheralded players (but I'm sure much-heralded by their fans) such as Michael Weyman, Kris Kahler, Troy Thompson, and Todd Carney (even though his head looked like a hot cross bun) really impressed me. I dont have the priveledge of FOX at home, and have only seen them 2 or 3 times this season, and so hardly know of these guys other than seeing them mentioned on the forums etc. But they definitely can play. And as for Clinton Shifcofske, now I know why their fans rate him so highly.

Aside from all the dramas during Golden Point, in my eyes they deserved the win (I was a neutral spectator and tipped the Tigers). Furthermore, they really deserve more credit than they are getting. Seemingly the majority of times they win, its a somewhat surprising result.

What they also deserve are bigger crowds. To my left, I saw what was known as the Raiders Army, proudly singing and yelling all game. But there weren't many of them. It even appeared they were outnumbered by the travelling Tigers faithful next to them. This isn't a dig at the Raiders fans, more of an observation. In a game critical to their season I was somewhat disappointed that only 9,120 odd people (many of whom were Tigers Fans) were there to watch. A victim of cold weather combined with Foxtel perhaps??? Only the Canberra people could really know.

They may make the finals in 06, they may not. Whatever the case is I'm sure many will take the same view on them at the start of next season. Losing senior players like Schifcoske, Woolford, Smith, not to mention their coach - to be replaced by a beginner in the top flight - must surely spell doom for their chances.....they can't be a threat.....

Dont be so sure. They may be light on quality/big name players but "pound-for-pound" they'd have to be one of the best clubs in the comp. From what I saw yesterday, they are a true "team" of players who just get stuck in and get the job done. They may not be the best side on-paper, but they regularly fight above their weight on the paddock.

Yes, I'm a loyal, rabid Dragons fan but I'm also a loyal, rabid fan of Rugby League. As such, I just wanted to write this to give a bit of credit where credit is due. They were once the pride of the League, and for the sake of League I hope they can once again become a force in the competition. But please hold off for another week boys, you've got the Dragons next....

hrundi99

First Grade
Well said.

The crucial ingredient for the Raiders is that the team mates seem to genuinely want to work hard for each other. Elliott's done a good job in instilling that in them.

skeepe

Immortal
On the crowd issue, it was bloody cold yesterday and was raining on and off all day... despite most Sydney people believing we're used to it, we still feel the cold and many would have stayed away as a result.

Still, we haven't exactly had great crowds all year. A lack of big names perhaps, or the majority of Canberrans listening too much to the "no chance" talk the Sydney media generate year in and year out.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Yes, our crowds have been pathetic for some time. However, whenever we are on Ch 9 we draw even worse crowds, especially combined with the terrible weather.

Good post BBJF.

I think a major contribution to the lack of crowd size, is the brand of football we play.

Many say that it works for us and we play to our limitations, but I won't have a bar of that. We have some great backs like Graham, Mogg, Chalk and shif who would love an expansive game plan, but don't get one due to the way we are coached.

There are some occasions, when Todd Carney is playing when we do have some expansion in our game, and when this happens we are great to watch and usually win. Unfortunaltey it doesn't happen enough, and the raiders are exceptionally boring to watch at times, even if they manage a tight win.

Elliot has done a great job in reinforcing team values and spirit in this side. I beleive he is a great coach of the forwards and has developed some forwards in our club to levels they would never have dreamed.

However what he severly lacks is an attacking game plan which creates excitement for the fans and puts bums on seats. The occasions this year where we have played expansively are:

Vs manly - dominated the game

Vs Broncos - were winning 18-0 thorugh some expansive footy, but Elliot decided to shut up shop and go back to the one out footy we are known for and ended up getting beaten

Vs Parramatta - dominated the game winning 30-12

Vs Roosters - flogged them 42 - 12

If we played with some expansion and a smart attacking game plan, I think we would see some more bums on seats, and even better performances and results on the feild.
Hopefully the new coach can rectify the issue, without losing focus on the team spirit and commitment that Ellito has successfully installed in this side.

northwest9

Juniors
i was also at the game on sunday, and so was the bottom 3% of society. i moved seat twice to get away from knuckle draggers. i had corperate seats but that didnt keep them away.

i am convinced my taxes paid for a big propertion of that crowd to be there

pretty vocal crowd though, credit to them for that

Paullyboy

Coach
On TV it appeared that the majority of fans, and the most vocal fans, were Tigers which was a dissapointment.

Especially when earlier in the day the Sunday Roast did a flashback to 93 and showed Bruce Stadium packed to the rafters. Ah the good old days.

Very good post BBJF by the way.

legend

Coach
The Raiders to an extent are their own worst enemy. Had we taken the Eels and Panthers seriously we would have been gunning for the top four and something like six wins on the trot and regardless of the westher, there would have been at least 15k there to cheer the team on.

They have the Dragons and Broncos coming up so they will draw decent crowds for those matches assuming the weather isn't too bad but at the end of the day, if the team can get their head around being favourites and go on and win the games they are supposed to, the crowds will return.

Eddie.

Bench
You have got to have alot of character and heart to win 3 Golden Point Games.

Good Luck to them.

Copa

Bench
A lot of the away fans at canberra actually live in canberra. Raiders management don't seem to do anything to try and get them to adopt a second team, ie the Raiders, while still respecting their support for their first love team.

I know a lot of RL fans in Canberra who only attend a live game once a year when their fave NSW/QLD/NZ or Victorian team comes to town..

hrundi99

First Grade
That's a good point.

If I lived in Melbourne indefinitely, then I'd get Storm season tix for example.

Raider Ultra

Bench
Most of the fans? Generalising the entire fan base because of a few people on here? Wests Tigers seem to have a significant element of overwieght scum within their supporter base, however. No surprises there was a ruck when you lot played the Dogs. Anyway, this thread is about the mighty Raiders :D

Raider_69

Post Whore
innsaneink said:
A very gutsy team, one I admire and like.

Too bad most of the fans are dropkicks.

feel the same way about you guys
except for the 'gutsy team', adiration and 'like' parts of the post :D

thickos

First Grade
Great post BBJF.

The one thing that really irks me is the lack of media attention the Raiders get... I know we are an 'out of town' side for the Sydney media but the Cows/Storm/Broncos always get attention... whenever the Raiders win 3/4's of the match report in (for example) The Telegraph is devoted to how the other side lost rather than how we won. It's pretty disheartening.

Despite the style of play we adopt and accusations of 'boring' football, the Raiders are always involved in their share of high quality matches. Anyone who saw the golden-point ET wins against the Panthers and Cowboys, and the 2 pt win over the Dogs at Telstra would not have said we are a dull team.

We punch above our weight and hopefully, despite the loss of senior personnel at the end of 2006, it unleashes the talented kids we have to go onto bigger and better things.

Here's hoping anyway...

Sanchez

Coach
What the raiders need is a few big name players to boost their hard working players/journeymen(take your pick) to the next level