What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Charitable SGB

hrundi99

First Grade
Ok this is an idea I've come up with recently.

I think the SGB should align itself with a charity, and use it's numbers to raise awareness and funds at the games we attend (take buckets around, prior to 1st grade?; a banner for the charity next to "Schif Happens"?).

We can also promote the cause on the website.

We may not raise huge funds, but every little bit helps, right?

I don't want to steal Nick's, Stuart's, etc,'s thunder on this, but I'd be perfectly willing to take a leadership role in implementing it.

Which charity?

Cancer council?
Sick kids?
dunno yet...

Maybe we could get an autographed jersey from the club to put on eBay to help?

Thoughts?

thickos

First Grade
Fantastic idea hrundi. I think that money could also go to junior rugby league as well perhaps???

Not sure how much money we'd raise but its well worth a thought, maybe we could have tie-ins with players, associate them with a particular charity and a particular person collects the money on their behalf. could be a goer, the club itself might be interested as well.

woodgers

Bench
The Raiders Army were looking into something very similar a couple of weeks ago. The community was raising funds for a humidicrib, that assist premature born babies. Appartently most Prem babies in the A.C.T have to be flown to Sydney.

Unfortunately the funds needed was reached just as we were planning to help out so we missed it. This type of activity is great for raising the profile of the group, however you guys may struggle being supporters of a team outside of the area of Sydney.

Anyhow, try the best you can to get it off the ground. Anything like this associated with the club is great. Remember though people will be reluctant to hand over money as they are unsure if they will genuinely handed over. It's just human nature.

hrundi99

First Grade
The more the merrier.

I'll do some research over the next few days and we'll have chat on Saturday arvo.

hrundi99

First Grade
woodgers said:
Anyhow, try the best you can to get it off the ground. Anything like this associated with the club is great. Remember though people will be reluctant to hand over money as they are unsure if they will genuinely handed over. It's just human nature.

I think that that's a reason why funds for junior footy (in the ACT and Riverina for example) would be a hard sell.

If we do it right we'll have the appropriate paraphenalia (despite wearing Raiders jerseys) so hopefully it will work.

I'll make sure that you're made aware of any info that I find.

woodgers

Bench
Thanks Hrundi
I will organise my guys to help in anyway possible.

Anyway, I guess we'll meet on Saturday night and may get the chance to discuss it further.

BradtheRipper

Juniors
beatiful idea man, that's a perfect charity suggestion too. We don't want litttle possible raiders using bondi roosters cribs. LOL.
without a forward pack at the moment finch is begging to be put back in his old sydney incubator.
Didn't furnsie' help buy the childrens hospital a desparetly needed machine a couple of years ago as well.

Stay Green!

hrundi99

First Grade
I pondered a lot of stuff last night and I reckon the Cancer Council looks the goods at the moment.

They've got a lot of useful stuff on their website.

I'll complete my investigations and let you know what I find.

I think it will be important for us to be endorsed by the club. Which forum member has the link to the club? Should I just call the club and set up a call/meeting?

Does Tuffnell (the Raiders webmaster) still post here? I haven't seen him for a while, but he could be pretty helpful if you're able to reach him.

mono_mal

Juniors
Whilst I think it is a fair enough idea I think the SGB should be aiming to take care of our own problems before we go donating money to charities.
If you guys havent noticed we no longer have the financial backing of the Raiders and many banners and flags are in desperate need of repair and upgrading.
I wasnt at the last game at Kogragh so I dont know what position we are currently in but last year the large Sydney Green Brigade banner was stolen and the year before all the SGB banners were also lost.
During the last year we seemed to have a real shortage of banners and many flags currently have rips in them and more poles also need to be purchased due to the amount currently out of shape.
A bucket collection has previously been suggested by Nick to help fund these issues regarding flags and banners so perhaps first we take care of these issues and then look further into a charity focus.
Cheers
Ben
Sydney Green Brigade

Raider_69

Post Whore
fair idea
i recon for the flags, just at half time get some SGB folks to throw in their churchys or a few bucks
i recon in about 3 away games there could be enough to sort all that out

while we are on the topic, im making a ben cross banner
what meterials do i need and how do i go about making it

legend

Coach
Guys, if you need support leagueunlimited can lend a hand. We have the contacts to get jerseys signed by their respective teams and we can get you the Raiders jerseys at cost which is less than $100.00.

I also put the offer out to host the SGB website if you are interested. The template is already there at http://raiders.leagueunlimited.com and we can give the respective webmaster(s)FTP access to work on their own sub site.

Let me know what you think.

woodgers

Bench
As much as I like the banners and flags, I won't be chucking in. The news I received late last year was that some opposition fans came up and nicked the banners and flags. That actually makes me quite annoyed.

I looked after those flags for years and years as a young teenager travelling around, usually on my own to watch the Raiders. Those flags were given back to the supporters club during Super League when no one else would wave them with myself and Bay 25. We guarded them with our lives, so to here some thugs came and took them pisses me off. The story that I got was that nobody there even tried to stop these theives which makes it worse. I can tell you, even back then I had to stand up for myself and stop people trying to grab the supporters club stuff. Sully, Bay 25 and I took turns at washing and drying them each week so they were handed back in immaculate condition.

Being a bit older, I am past the flag and banner waving stage. I've feel i've done my time with that and are now happy just to watch and sing.

hrundi99

First Grade
That's fair enough Woodgers. I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts.

Time for some new banners I guess. Those of us who are of the banner-waving variety need to be responsible for the welfare of the banners.

If opposition supporters are causing problems (eg the Dogs last year) then it needs to be highlighted to the other SGB members at the time. Safety in numbers and all that.

Ben, I think the point you've raised is valid, but personally I believe the banners issue should be dealt with separately.

BAY72

Juniors
I have to agree with Woodgers! I for one am furious that the flags are all gone. They used to be our pride and joy! And they were a way for people to know who we were.

The problem is most of the grounds have perminant seats now instead of the hill, which makes it very hard to get the old style flags up any more. They are too big, the poles just don't pack down small enough, and most of the time you have to hold them up so people don't sit on them. Then you block someones view. And if people aren't going to look after them, or are just goinig to hand them over at the first sign of trouble, then whats the point in spending the money in the first place.

I don't think people realise those original flags cost thousands each! made with expensive material, by professional flag and sail makers. To just let that go is discraceful! :evil:

thickos

First Grade
I was not there on the night but all of our stuff was stolen by the Bulldogs 'army' :roll: at the Showground, Rd 25 last season. From what I've heard it happened when those who were present went down to the fence to congratulate the boys, they came back and the sign plpus other banners were gone. That was a bad night with several Raiders fans not sitting with the SGB verbally and physically assaulted by morons in the crowd.

I too am pissed off that everything is gone :evil: working with clubs at uni I know that even a decent banner costs big $$$$$$$, so I'm sure professional flags cost a mint. Unfortunately there's not much we can do, we just need to begin again i guess :cry:

Latest posts