What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cocktail (and Spirits) Thread

Bump time mofos!

Just tried St Agnes XO 15YO. A seriously excellent brandy, plenty of sultana with a good back-up of vanilla & cinnamon. Smooth as silk, no alcohol burn whatsoever.

Bazal

Post Whore
St Agnes is very underrated on the whole IMO. That 15yo competes with cognac and does well.

Bazal

Post Whore
I reckon it's great value, but a step below an XO cognac. Martell VSOP is a good competitor (IMO)

Bazal

Post Whore
I love the Martell, but the St Agnes definitely stands up against it.

I just think brandy is underrated. Even cognac these days....neither are mainstream spirits, but I'll take a decent brandy over the equivalent rum any day of the week.

It's a funny one. I give the French credit, they know how to market their booze. I think it will eventually go the way of sparkling wine vs Champagne, but it is a long way off from there.

Bazal

Post Whore
One needs look no further than Moet for an example of the French marketing skills....

I'm a big fan of armagnac tbh. I love cognac, but f**k you can find some excellent armagnacs for a fraction of the price.

Bazal

Post Whore
You've convinced me to move us on to straight spirits. No cognac open, so one of my favourite whiskies....Balvenie 12yo Double Wood.

Ridiculously smooth and very rich, obviously oak dominated but still quite subtle with a nice warm burn at the very back

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
went back to aussie a few weekends ago and my brother made me get a bottle of Hendricks in duty free. Made me gin, soda and cucumbers that night. Never been a gin fan but went down pretty well and was still pretty fresh and perky the next morning

Loving the fact that Chivas Regal & Dimple are sub $40 whiskies these days. As drinking neat, they're rubbish. As mixing whiskies, bloody hard to beat.

Also concluded my Canadian whisky experiment. The result - Crown Royal is better than Canadian Club 12YO

Bump!

Had a glass of Laphroaig Quarter Cask tonight. Picked it up at Whisky Live in a swap with the CCA rep. Went into peated whisky (again) with an open mind. I think I will leave it for guests, not to my taste.