What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Cumberland throw is back

sooty

Juniors
No doubt everyone saw the two tackles Jarryd Hayne completed on Matai. Great versions of the cumberland throw stopped matai (aka high shot merchant) in his tracks on both occasions. Although one was a try the other stopped him in his tracks.Brilliant defence. Pricey would be proud. I think someone else from Parra started the throw good to see the tradition is continuing.

strider

Post Whore
tbh i didn't think they were that intentional - i thought it all just happened that quick and thats how it turned out .... bloody good effort to stop the 2nd one - nothing as rewarding as seeing matai face plant :thumn

Gordy

Juniors
tbh i didn't think they were that intentional - i thought it all just happened that quick and thats how it turned out .... bloody good effort to stop the 2nd one - nothing as rewarding as seeing matai face plant :thumn

That's what I was thinking too strider...more accidental than anything.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie got into a ton of sh*t for his version, he used to trip them with his leg then pull them over.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I also thought it was a fluke committed in the split second ... but the fact he did it twice in one match argues against that. Big coincidence if both were accidental.

Gazzamatta

Coach
My memory isnt what it once was but my vague recollection is that the "Cumberland Throw" was invented or perfected by ex Parramatta Player Fred Pickup. Can anyone confirm that?

Cheers

parra pete

Referee
even back then the bulldogs were stealing our players.

Leo Toohey was VERY good player and I was surprised that the Club let him go. He came to Parra on a cheap 50 quid ($100) transfer fee from Souths Sydney. To put that into perspective, Brian Hambly's transfer fee from Wagga Magpies was two thousand five hundred pounds (-five thousand dollars) which was heaps in 1961.
I actually reckon Leo was better than Ivor, but Ivor was fairly handy as well.
Bob Bugden signed with Parra in 1962 and was earning ninety-six pounds a game ($192)

bob bugden.jpg