What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The current standard of refereeing...

bileduct

Coach
... is far superior to the mental state of our fans.

As I sat in my usual seat on the weekend I noticed that the moronic braying over nothing by our fans really seemed to go up a notch. There was a pair of Cowboys supporters sitting directly behind me who were genuinely mystified by the reaction and at one point asked "what the hell is the matter with these people?"

Great question.

Who wants to take a stab in the dark as to why it is that our fans are such geniuss?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I roll my eyes more at the conspiracy theory stuff. There are a few epic whinges over at the GH. Refs always go with the better team. It's human nature IMO.

That said I'd be booing like a lunatic trying to influence the ref but I try and be sensible after the fact.

bileduct

Coach
Well that might work if the referees didn't already think our crowds were full of morons.

I've heard 'em mention it at least twice while using Sportsears.

bileduct

Coach
I roll my eyes more at the conspiracy theory stuff. There are a few epic whinges over at the GH.
Holy shit, I just had a look.

Probably a good thing I've finally been banned from there. Pretty sure I would have had some of them come around with burning torches otherwise.

nick87

Coach
people are actually over there trying to say that Granville's bust up the middle was on the officials for not penalising the player for playing the ball off the mark
it's f**king astounding.

beave

Coach
I honestly didn't think the reffing was all that bad on Saturday. I've been to Canberra a few times over the years, I don't think raiders fans are any worse than any other team in the whinging departmen, tbh I always had issues at Parra as an opposition supporter, Canberra and Kograh were always my favourite as you could always have some banter and a beer with the fans there and always had a good time win or lose. Mostly lose in the days I used to go there. Just a shame it's colder than a witches tit in winter down there.......

nick87

Coach
Ive said before, i think the worst call of the game was probably not going to the video for the Austin try

the video replay shows him clearly offside imo

beave

Coach
I dunno, I watched the replay and paused it just as Rapana kicks it and he looks pretty much in line with him. I was a bit pissed at the time that they didn't check it at least but after watching the replay, I reckon it was a legit try. I don't know why Raiders fans are up in arms over the Granville set up for the try, they have been allowing players to move forward with the ball to get out of the ruck area for years now, christ the old 'you've shortened it!!' Is a call you hear 5-6 times a half ffs. if anything it gave the Raiders more time to get set in D.
We have been jagging wins all year though, I f**king pray to the footy gods we won't have used up all our luck come finals time and put in a stinker and get bundled out week 1.

bileduct

Coach
people are actually over there trying to say that Granville's bust up the middle was on the officials for not penalising the player for playing the ball off the mark
it's f**king astounding.
Yeah that's a bit of a head scratcher. The ref calls held and Fensom continues to work the player until he ends up on the ground. Fensom gets to marker in time for the quick play the ball and the ref calls out that the 10 has been shortened.

If anything we had a defensive advantage, but it was completely nullified by Fensom backpedalling and making no attempt whatsoever to tackle Granville.

That's said, it's the usual suspects complaining so I am not really surprised.

bileduct

Coach
I thought Austin was offside when I was at the game, but my angle was from slightly behind on the eastern grandstand. After watching the replay I think they made the right call, but I'm really surprised it did not go to the video ref.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I was shocked they didn't go to the video ref tbh. It was line ball in slow motion imo. So I think it would have gone our way but those sort of breaks is what the video ref is for.

bileduct

Coach
Here's the screencap of the Rapana kick. According to the rules both of Rapana's feet need to be behind Austin for him to be offside.

I wouldn't have an issue if the jerseys were swapped and this was scored against us.

Note that Klein is in the perfect position to make the call, and he does so immediately.

austinoffside.jpg

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
I'm looking at that photo and to me he looks in front, that camera angle is good for us
I was pretty much right in line with it at the game, and every single person around me (including the 8 hardcore raiders fans I was with) felt he was offside

beave

Coach
If the roles were reversed for the Austin try and we were denied, I would be a bit filthy. I wish the broadcasters had 3 camera spots on the western grandstands positioned at halfway and each 20m line like they do with the NFL. As the play moves up the field, cut to the camera most applicable for a good side on view. Until then, the angles are hard to judge because the lines are at an angle.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We used to get absolutely rooted by the video ref but this was a long long time ago.it still seems to be a thing with some fans though. It did exist though.

Now I think we do OK with the refs. Furner building a side of giant lumbering monsters allowed other sides to own us in the ruck which makes it seem like the refs are favouring the other side but it was more just down to how bad we aare/were.

Godeangogogogo

Juniors
Here's the screencap of the Rapana kick. According to the rules both of Rapana's feet need to be behind Austin for him to be offside.

I wouldn't have an issue if the jerseys were swapped and this was scored against us.

Note that Klein is in the perfect position to make the call, and he does so immediately
From the image Austin looks to be ahead of Rapana's standing foot.