What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The De-Merge Thread

SGMax

Juniors
The fact that after more than 20 years we are numbering board members from opposing factions shows that decion making process is counter productive.
We are anything but a merged club.

At present, the illawarra side offer no positive contributions.
The Dragons are disadvantaged by being based at Wollongong with the location a negative in most recruitment efforts.
The so called nursery is not exclusive and is available to all clubs.

Illawarra failed as a stand alone club and since the merger, failed as a member of the joint venture hence the need for the Gordons to be involved.

It clearly is not working, we are deteriorating and would be better off without the JV and the divisiveness it has led to.

If we could get $100 or so from 50,000 Saints supporters, we could buy the Gordons out.

possm

Coach
If I had a silver bullet I would tell you.

It appears whatever I say, you are set in your mind that Saints need to stand alone. That ship has sailed.

I have slammed the club from board level down to player retention. Again, I am not happy with the status quo, however ending the JV IMHO is not the answer.
The JV ended when Illawarra sold its shares to WIN Corp, a non rugby leagues club, a non NRL club. There is no joint venture just like there is no joint venture at Souths who also have a non rugby league enity as a major share holder.

The name St George Illawarra simply illustrates the districts we represent. Nothing to do with the Illawarra Steelers who no longer hold an NRL licence.

During the JV period, St George were always and still are financially viable. It was the Illawarra side of the JV that continually defaulted on the financial obligations both to the JV and to their own football club. This to the extent that they became indebted to the Gordon's and WIN Corp. Thus the reason for selling their shares to the Gordon's and WIN Corp who bought those shares as an alternative to writing off a bad debt. Thus the disinterest in investing more funds into the Club.

To be honest, Illawarra should be pleased to be a feeder Club to St George who currently carry their district name in the same way that Cronulla carries the Southerland name and Canterbury carries the Bankstown name. Non of the above mentioned double barrell named Clubs are joint ventures. In fact the only surviving joint venture Club in the NRL today is the West Tigers.

I'd say keep the name, change the ownership again. Get rid of the Gordons and WIN Corp and find a share holder who really cares and want to do the best for our Club. Having said that the St George Club really needs to restructure in a way that allows its fans to vote for Board members each year. We need to sack Doust and Craig Young and look for professional type Board members.

I had friends abandon the game when they perceived that their Steelers had effectively become a pair of socks.

They couldn’t buy into sgi. Too much for them.

They didn’t blame the Saints, just thought the jv was wrong.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Exactly more wasted energy and churning over old ground.
Focus on the now and look to the future.
Not sure what you mean by that, so apologies in advance if I misinterpret.

Our history is priceless. Young supporters and players should be looking at our heritage with wonder and pride.

Without it, we lose our future.