What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Double Movement Rule

3duggali

Juniors
In thursday nights game Matt Cooper was awarded a try for what I believe is a double movment. It is my understanding that if the forearm that the player i holding the ball with hits the ground then the player must let momentum take them and cannot make a second movement in the process of scoring. But in Coopers incident his forearm cearly hit the ground and then he was propelled over the line by momentum but he was turned on his back during this. He then made a second movement to turn back over and try and place the ball. I think in this situation it should be a double movement. Can anyone clear this up for me ??

innsaneink

Referee
In thursday nights game Matt Cooper was awarded a try for what I believe is a double movment. It is my understanding that if the forearm that the player i holding the ball with hits the ground then the player must let momentum take them and cannot make a second movement in the process of scoring. But in Coopers incident his forearm cearly hit the ground and then he was propelled over the line by momentum but he was turned on his back during this. He then made a second movement to turn back over and try and place the ball. I think in this situation it should be a double movement. Can anyone clear this up for me ??
Its now up to the ref to determine when the tackle is complete and ''held'' is applied.
Double movements come into it when a players progress is stopped short of the line....Cooper was in-goal

Last edited:

Rodent

Bench
The laws of the game state:
"When an attacking player is tackled within easy reach of the goal line he should be penalised if he makes a second movement to place the ball over the line for a try".

Seeing that Cooper was already in the in goal (momentum carried him across), he is entitled to attempt a grounding of the ball. Fair try.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Fair try, but like you I have always found that rule inconsistent. If you are in the field of play your can't make a second movement, if you are in goal second, third or fourth movements are ok.

Slackboy72

Coach
It's a silly rule.
I remember once Ben Creagh was tackled yet the arm carrying the ball was still in the air so he reached out and the VR said that in the process of reaching out his hand brushed a blade of grass and therefore the tackle was complete.

BTW have a look at the El Masri try in the 2004 grand final.

jbl31649

Juniors
At worst No Try, play the ball or handover. A penalty is a bit much when there is so many grey areas.

Canard

Immortal
Not really related to the incident described in the OP, but I think its time to scrap double movement in modern league, within reason that is.

If your close enough and you can use your strength or guile to get over, than so be it.

Within reason of course, you cant be wrestling for 5mins or crawling 10m along the ground.

Quidgybo

Bench
A double movement is just one special case of moving off the mark. And the mark is that spot on the field where the momentum of the tackle has ended and the player is held. Unless we're going to say it really is OK to walk off the mark in every other tackle, to the side or around the markers, then of course a double movement should still be penalised.

Leigh.

I can see both sides of the legalize/ban the double movement issue, with a caveat.

I have no problem changing the laws so that once a player is tackled or deemed tackled, he can place the ball down and that spot becomes the mark.

I also would have no problem with continuing to make that a big no-no, but I would prefer a lesser severity of a bad play the ball. If it were up to me, unless a team is doing repeatedly or doing it to delay the match for some reason, any mistakes while playing the ball should simply result in the referee ordering the ball to be played again.

Though I am sure that would lead to issues I haven't thought of.

Latest posts