What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The effect of leading the comp

TheRev

Coach
For the past 20+ years, when we make grand-finals its by scraping into the 8, and coming through as underdogs... and everyone loves an underdog.

This year (regardless of the minor premiership), we are coming in from 1 or 2, and I only realised last night at the pub that everyone wanted us to lose (there were no other raider or dragons fans present).

And it occurred to me that although we still see ourselves as an underdog (based on this being just 1 good year, after 29 bad ones), most NRL supporters only see '2009', and just want to see a tall poppy cut down.

After the spate of ridiculous media articles last week & reading the hundreds of comments after last nights loss, supporters from all clubs trying to stick a boot in after 1 loss, 'the season is over', comments like 'choking' and 'the year is over' and 'serves u right'.. blah blah.. I mean seriously, anyone would think we were playing sudden-death finals footy & we had previously issued a media statement that said "we will like totally beat canberra lololol".

I think the people carrying on like the Finals are in August, are supporters from other clubs (and the media has just flaming the hatred).

Bereft Skerrick

Juniors
It's sad.

One one hand we (as a merged entity) aren't allowed to count the 15 premierships/grand final wins the club has had. Even though there are "Heritage Rounds" and games where Dragons greats /Steelers greats play against other sides.

On the other hand we're called chokers because of the 5 GF losses between 85 and 99 (even though 4 of them were before the merge and at least 2 of them we came from nowhere to make the playoff). Heck we made those GF's and sure I was disappointed we lost, but you have to get there to win them, and there's plenty who, in their mediocrity can't even boast that.

Both sides (StG/Ill) stood true and loyal during the whole Super League fiasco and didn't sell out. Yet we're called St Merge by supporters of clubs that wouldn't be here today without selling out, generous grants from the NRL, or being owned by News Ltd, or merged yet drowned their weaker partner at Manly wharf.

We're just had out 5th loss of the season (the loss/recession we had to have?) to a side we haven't beaten on home turf for yonks. Yet we beat the Broncos on home turf with great regularity and are they (in previous seasons) treated with scorn? They've lost to us and still won the GF in the same season! Imagine that!

And now there's the News Ltd campaign of hate. Sure there's a good article by Dell this morning, but in the tripe served up by Witchypoo and her submissive troll Buzzoff, there's "good Doggies for behaving as they should" but lower in the column "Dragons in financial crisis". What's next? Ben Hornby pulls the wings off flies? Dean Young didn't stop at a STOP sign long enough? Michael Weyman put recyclables in his regular trash?

I'm enjoying the success of this season. I'm enjoying watching my previously uninterested 5 and 8 year old sons running around the house proudly wearing their Red and White, fighting over who is going to have the back cover of last Fri's Illawarra Mercury (with a pic of a rampaging Soward) on their bedroom door, and excited that Mummy has bought them Grand Final tickets.

It's a shame that others, spurred on by greed, hypocrisy and jealousy are acting like a class of preschoolers. I wasn't alive for the great run of 56-66, I went to school full of Cronulla supporters and copped rubbish (even though arguably they are the least successful club in history) and was too young to remember 77 and 79.

It's sad.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
not everybody supports the dragons.. if they did, it would be a boring comp.

all you can do is suck it up, hold your head high and bask in the fact that no matter how much other supporters would like us to lose, we are on top of the comp..

enjoy this time of year, don't feel victimised..

GuardDog

Juniors
i still recognise the previous comps the dragons have won credit where its due
for some reason i often 4get illawarra is also a part of the club and the banter is part of footy that i miss during summer as much as i love beach weather

STG-Dragon

Juniors
I have definitely noticed the hate towards us of late, can't say I'm a fan of it and don't believe it's justified.

j0nesy

Bench
If we win the comp I couldn't give a fat rats arse what the other supporters think of our club. In fact I still don't care what they think even if we don't win the comp.

every one wants to see a tall poppy choped down, no matter who it is, thats life.

I don't.

I love watching Tiger Woods win Majors, and I loved seeing Makybe Diva win 3 Melbourne Cups.

People who bag us are jealous of our famous brand because they can't and will never match it.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
I don't.

I love watching Tiger Woods win Majors, and I loved seeing Makybe Diva win 3 Melbourne Cups.

People who bag us are jealous of our famous brand because they can't and will never match it.
you obviosly love sport just like I do, but thoes dicks that are jelouse can you know what

God-King Dean

Immortal
I must say I'm a lil disappointed in my fellow fans lately.

Why on earth would we care what teams of other supporters think ? Just part of the joy of supporting a team.

Hell i couldn't give a f**k if every other supporter hates us, it will only be coz we are that dam good,
I'm used to it, at the club I play for we have all 4 grades coming first and we had all 4 in the grand final last year too, everyone hates us because they cant beat us.

TheRev

Coach
Why on earth would we care what teams of other supporters think ? Just part of the joy of supporting a team.

Err well we dont lose any sleep over it, but it still surprised me to hear how other teams supporters have turned on us (more so than usual lol).

Especially playing an out of sydney team like Canberra, I would expect most support to be for Saints, but I guess if it was me watching a game I had no interest in, id prefer to see the lesser team come up with a mighty underdog performance.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
f**k me some people are sensitive.

I say bring it on!!!! This is what supporting Rugby League is all about.

GO YOU SAINTSSSSS!!!!!

Inferno

Coach
He has a fairly highly rated radio show.

Also he threatened to punch Dave Hughes in the throat.

big pat

Coach
first of all we are st george,no matter what wankers from other clubs want to call us, second, we didn't merge with anyone, we formed a joint venture with illawarra,once again wankers want to think different, thirdly we lost get over it, no good trying to work what went wrong, i'm sure bennett knows, i think the guys are going to be in for a tough week, so lets rally on friday night we have another game to play.

Ricardo

Juniors
I have lived in Queensland for most of my life so I always cop it from Broncos, Cowboys and these days Titans supporters. I enjoy reminding these poor souls who is sitting on top of the ladder :D
I give as good as I get and don't give a toss what others think of the Mighty Saints :cool:

Latest posts