What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Eight Point Try

nqboy

First Grade
Incident in the Storm/Knights game tonight where Quinn fell on Webster long after he scored with a fair hint of elbow and generally roughed him up. Webster resented the "tackle" and got up to go on with it before changing his mind and walking away.

I thought it was a clear 8 point try for the late tackle but it wasn't given. A commentator mentioned the rule had been changed so it only applied if a player was fouled in the act of scoring rather than after he had scored and that was why it wasn't given. Is this the case?

innsaneink

Referee
Dunno about the rulling but it was a pretty poor act from Quinn....that said the refs in that game and the Sahrks/NQ games were the worst Ive seen for a while

nqboy

First Grade
And on a related topic, weren't the Kenniggetts on angry pills tonight? Might be the frustration of being written off as a one man team but they tried to muscle up and instead just played dirty. Quinn, Buderus (arguing witht he ref all night even down by 40 odd with 3 minutes to go), Kidley... Quinn should go play in the forwards if he wants to show how tough he is.

nqboy

First Grade
I have no complaints about the officials in the Sharks/Cowboys game. The Bailey try couldn't be seen on video but the badger must have seen something that made him give it.

dubopov

Coach
NQBoy..You mentioned Knights dirty players, but didn't mention the disgraceful act of Josh Perry who very deliberately kneed an opponent in the balls during an altercation when both were standing..worse than Danny Williams as far as I'm concerned..

innsaneink

Referee
nqboy said:
I have no complaints about the officials in the Sharks/Cowboys game. The Bailey try couldn't be seen on video but the badger must have seen something that made him give it.

Did you see the head on replay......did you see the legs of the ref, he was facing the same way as the camera, so he wouldve seen exactly what we saw except ffrom a slightly higher angle.......he saw nothing but a mass of bodies, hes been hangin out with Hayne and piccked up Haynes bad "guessing" habits.

Razor

Coach
A commentator mentioned the rule had been changed so it only applied if a player was fouled in the act of scoring rather than after he had scored and that was why it wasn't given. Is this the case?

Yes the rule was changed.

But it shouldn't have been changed and that should be an 8-point try.

The last 8-point try I remember seeing was in 1993. From what I seen last year there should have been 7 8-point tries awarded. This year, so far 2.

nqboy

First Grade
Perry threw a half-assed knee which hit Friend in the upper leg. Very little in it IMO, though it does show what a cat Perry is.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Razor said:

So what is the appropriate punishment now then? If the ref couldn't penalise Quinn, does that mean players get a free shot on opposition try-scorers?

I agree it should have been an 8-point try (under the old rules) - maybe Quinn should have been sin-binned instead?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LeagueNut said:
So what is the appropriate punishment now then?
The ref was alerted to it, and gave the player a warning. I imagine if Quinn continued on with that sort of nonsense the ref could have used his powers to place him on report, sin bin him, or even send him off.

The match review committee, at their discretion, could also go on with it if they thought it warranted a judiciary hearing. So think they've got it covered.

Fortunately, these late shots on try-scorers doesn't happen enough for it to be a major problem. Its generally a sign of frustration.

Kiwi

First Grade
nqboy said:
Perry threw a half-assed knee which hit Friend in the upper leg. Very little in it IMO, though it does show what a cat Perry is.

Why let a player get away with kneeing a player? It doesn't matter how half arsed it was, he did it and should have a the book thrown at him just like Bird. I just can't see the logic in waiting till he actually connects and hurts someone before he gets suspended for doing it.

Mr Saab

Referee
nqboy said:

Greg Bird's knee wouldnt have hurt the Queen yet he got hammered with 10 weeks. Perry has to go.

Frailty

First Grade
Did you see the head on replay......did you see the legs of the ref, he was facing the same way as the camera, so he wouldve seen exactly what we saw except ffrom a slightly higher angle.......he saw nothing but a mass of bodies, hes been hangin out with Hayne and piccked up Haynes bad "guessing" habits.

Innsaneink, are you trying to say the referee wasn't in a position to make a call? Because if so, the rule book says that a try should not be disallowed if the referee is in no position to see the grounding of the ball. In other words, if there is doubt, the try is to be awarded.

tye

Juniors
Quinn and Perry are two of the dirtiest players in the game! Quinn is an absolute GRUB.

t-ba

Post Whore
Razor said:

The last 8-point try I remember seeing was in 1993. From what I seen last year there should have been 7 8-point tries awarded. This year, so far 2.

94 for mine. Norths in an ABC match of the weekend. Man...I'd kill for match of the weekend to come back:cry: . Damn Commercial realities!

Mr Saab

Referee
It was 1993 at Belmore. Polla Mounter hit a player as he scored.
Dogs led 17-0 at one stage...Craig Makepiece missed the conversion, but hit the one straight in front to give them the win and final score of 18-17

t-ba said:
94 for mine. Norths in an ABC match of the weekend. Man...I'd kill for match of the weekend to come back:cry: . Damn Commercial realities!

I thought David Hall was awarded one in about 93'? I remember it being broadcast on ABC, Warren Bloand was probably commentating and the venue was North Sydney...

As an aside, the live 3.00pm games on Saturday were great but the compromise was surely the sh*thouse abridged broadcast on Sundays.

jamesgould

Juniors
Yeah, Steve Simpson conceded it, worst decision I've ever seen! The one by Quinn should've been one though. Steve Simpson just fell on the guy a bit late, Quinn tried to bash his head off, the norman.