What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The end is nigh for Bennett and the Steelers

Broncodr01d

Juniors

wb.jpg

It's been a good season for the Master Coach, it's a little sad that it ends this Saturday night when he returns home to face his beloved Brisbane Broncos. Momentum is everything come this time of the season and we have it, the Steelers don't.

Bennett's "faithful" new found fans will turn on him after this loss, I have no doubt, the NRL's biggest chokers will walk off Suncorp Stadium with more questions raised as opposed to answers for their critics (true Dragons fans will however praise Bennett for returning this once great club to prominence knowing they aren't too far away from tasting premiership success for the first time since '79).

Since we got out asses kicked by Canberra, we have gone on to win six of our last six games including an away finals win over the game's biggest pretenders, the Gold Coast Whiners.

On the other hand, St George have won two, lost four including a home finals loss to the 8th ranked Parramatta Eels. Have the wheels fallen off? I think so. David Furner gave the NRL the blueprint on how to beat 'em, we in particular have him to thank for plotting your finals demise this Saturday night.

Our glorious return to form has seen us complile 178 points for, a meager 88 against. A change in attitude by all has seen us return to the early season danger most experts thought we could be. Mr Bennett's side has spluttered along to record 94 points for, 108 pts against.

What does this tell us? Momentum is with the Brisbane Broncos and with a sellout crowd expected, I see us closing this one down setting up a rematch with rivals Melbourne in a Grand Final qualifier.

The key to winning is shutting down Jamie Soward and in particular his pin-point kicking game. If this falters, the Dragons struggle as evidenced in their finals loss to the Eels. Soward and co kicked poorly, with ball in hand, the Eels repelled them with little trouble and ground out a great win. I expect a similar scenario come Saturday night.

Enjoy this game. I will be at a wedding and then off to Fiji for a well earned two week break come Monday morning. I look forward to it and enjoying more finals success from afar.

GET YOUR MONEY ON THE BRONCOS!

dragonszero9

Juniors

wb.jpg

It's been a good season for the Master Coach, it's a little sad that it ends this Saturday night when he returns home to face his beloved Brisbane Broncos. Momentum is everything come this time of the season and we have it, the Steelers don't.

Bennett's "faithful" new found fans will turn on him after this loss, I have no doubt, the NRL's biggest chokers will walk off Suncorp Stadium with more questions raised as opposed to answers for their critics (true Dragons fans will however praise Bennett for returning this once great club to prominence knowing they aren't too far away from tasting premiership success for the first time since '79).

Since we got out asses kicked by Canberra, we have gone on to win six of our last six games including an away finals win over the game's biggest pretenders, the Gold Coast Whiners.

On the other hand, St George have won two, lost four including a home finals loss to the 8th ranked Parramatta Eels. Have the wheels fallen off? I think so. David Furner gave the NRL the blueprint on how to beat 'em, we in particular have him to thank for plotting your finals demise this Saturday night.

Our glorious return to form has seen us complile 178 points for, a meager 88 against. A change in attitude by all has seen us return to the early season danger most experts thought we could be. Mr Bennett's side has spluttered along to record 94 points for, 108 pts against.

What does this tell us? Momentum is with the Brisbane Broncos and with a sellout crowd expected, I see us closing this one down setting up a rematch with rivals Melbourne in a Grand Final qualifier.

The key to winning is shutting down Jamie Soward and in particular his pin-point kicking game. If this falters, the Dragons struggle as evidenced in their finals loss to the Eels. Soward and co kicked poorly, with ball in hand, the Eels repelled them with little trouble and ground out a great win. I expect a similar scenario come Saturday night.

Enjoy this game. I will be at a wedding and then off to Fiji for a well earned two week break come Monday morning. I look forward to it and enjoying more finals success from afar.

GET YOUR MONEY ON THE BRONCOS!

](*,)

dragonszero9

Juniors
how am i turning on wayne or the team?
please explain

im happy with what we have done this year

anything is possible saturday it won't be a 1 sided affair

get your facts straight sh*t for brains

Gaba

First Grade
Broncos only average 2-3 trys in 9 games against the dragons

the dragons are averaging 4-5 trys

broncos average 1 try in the first have , dragons have 1-2

broncos 2nd half average 1 try dragons average 3 trys

on those stats the broncos are in trouble

Gaba

First Grade
:lol: And why should what happened 9 clashes ago matter?
look at the last 9 games and the broncos havent improved in attack

Broncos only scored 2 trys in both games this year, yes the dragons lost the 2nd game .

cant see the broncos winning with 2 trys this game, they always seem to have trouble scoring against the dragons no matter what form the dragons are in

Last edited:

badav

Bench

:lol::lol::lol:

Your analysis skills are absolutely amazing. The only thing i wasnt clear about was what a first have is.

I heard between 1988 and 2004 the broncos average 3 errors and 2 line breaks between the 24th and 39th minute, whereas the dragons average 4.2 errors and 1 line break in the same period. On those stats the dragons are in trouble.

Gaba

First Grade
:lol::lol::lol:

Your analysis skills are absolutely amazing. The only thing i wasnt clear about was what a first have is.

I heard between 1988 and 2004 the broncos average 3 errors and 2 line breaks between the 24th and 39th minute, whereas the dragons average 4.2 errors and 1 line break in the same period. On those stats the dragons are in trouble.

what im talking about is head to head, dragons vs broncos

the form against other teams is irrelevant in this topic

Broncodr01d

Juniors

Does what happened in years previous against the Dragons really count for much come Saturday night?

Gaba

First Grade
Does what happened in years previous against the Dragons really count for much come Saturday night?
it happen this year too

game 1
first half
Broncos 1 try dragons 1 try

2nd half

Broncos 1 try dragons 3 trys

game 2
first half
Broncos 1 try dragons 0

2nd half

Broncos 1 try Dragons 0

yes the 2nd game was slighlty different the dragons didnt get to thier average

the broncos have performed to the average over the last 9 games

so yes what happen in recent games have gone to par for the broncos this year too

the broncos have trouble scoring trys against the dragons ,

Last edited:

Broncodr01d

Juniors
Time will tell. We scored two to none in our last start against them whilst our season turned around.

I don't give much thought to what happened in 2008, let alone years before that when gauging what MAY happen in a upcoming game. It's pointless. We are dealing with different teams, different coaches etc. Pointless IMO.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
I think the Dragons have had a wonderful year under the MASTERCOACH and all kudos to them, they are a wonderfully drilled Bennett type side who deserve their moment in the sun. However, if anyone has perused the pages of sportal.com rl forums and seen the comments made by arseheaddragon, sorry arsendragon you soon find it hard but not want to see the Red V humiliated. I am going to resist the urge and wish for only a memorable final between two gun sides and hope to see the Broncos reward the home crowd with the semifinal victory that we've been waiting the last couple of years for. If it is not to be than seeing Wayne Bennett go on to claim another premiership with Darius is not the worse thing that could happen. Broncos by 8. Go Ivan & the boys!!!!!!!!!!

Broncos93

Juniors
Gaba, get all the facts and statistics that you want, but 8 years ago Dave Taylor wasn't in our team, Darren Lockyer wasn't five eight, our backline looked completely different and we didn't have Peter Wallace as halfback. Similarly, you didn't have Jamie Soward, and your backline looked quite different to how it does now.

Just because some trends happened over the years doesn't count for sh*t. Just because history say it is doesn't mean it will happen. Just watch the game on Saturday night and whoever wins was the better team on the night.

IMO however, Broncos by 10.
I agree with Broncodr1d, in the finals momentum is everything. We saw that with the Knights scraping into the finals and being knocked out early, and Parramatta charging in and destroying the competition favourites. 1 from the last 5 games is not something you can take into a do or die semi final match against a team that is 6 from 6. I believe it will be a tight game, but Broncs will run away with it.

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Time will tell. We scored two to none in our last start against them whilst our season turned around.

I don't give much thought to what happened in 2008, let alone years before that when gauging what MAY happen in a upcoming game. It's pointless. We are dealing with different teams, different coaches etc. Pointless IMO.

Exactly. History means nothing.

Hope its a good game. Good luck bronco fans.

Go Dragons :)

renouf

Juniors
I dunno if we'll win this.. I'm not as confident as some of the other broncos supporters.. we'll definitely need to aim up in the forwards.

I hope it's a great game on the weekend. Our clashes are always the best. If the Dragons do lose this week or the next or the next, I hope the fans don't turn on Benny. You have to admit he has done a great job already with the side he was given. Broncos fans know how good he is. Now he is down in Sydney and we are seeing him more in the media, I think his style and his ability is more evident to us.

Latest posts