What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Footy Show thread 2010

cleary89

Coach
I'm definately more angry with the media and who ever was responsible for allowing this case to go as far as it did than I am the NRL. But none-the-less, their punishment insinuated guilt. I still can't believe they didn't MAKE SURE to make contact with him. They say that they tried through the Manly club, but surely they shouldn't have trouble contacting someone within their organisation and talking to them before handing down a punishment. They obviously had no problem getting through to him when they wanted him in their advertisement campaign. I realise it was a tough situation for them, but this doesn't excuse them from not talking to him first. Obviusly Gould agrees otherwise he would not have highlighted that question.

The NRL were probably forced to react at the time, but in hindsight the suspension and a couple of poorly chosen comments from an angry NRL board at the time were unjustified considering they had not heard Stewart's side of the story. All we want from the NRL is for them to admit that 'in hindsight the punishment of an innocent man was unjustified'. As Stewart said, he couldn't have done anything else to avoid a situation.

- Not get drunk
- Not go over to underage girls when all alone and no witnesses.

Don't put yourself in a situation where it could happen. As a teacher, you wouldn't ever have a student alone with you in a classroom without other students being there, or in view of other people. Same should apply to this. Yes society is f**ked, but know that and don't let it happen.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
- Not get drunk
- Not go over to underage girls when all alone and no witnesses.

Don't put yourself in a situation where it could happen. As a teacher, you wouldn't ever have a student alone with you in a classroom without other students being there, or in view of other people. Same should apply to this. Yes society is f**ked, but know that and don't let it happen.

His court case has shown that whilst he was drinking he was in full control of his actions, and the girl was at the gate when he got HOME and she approched him. Again they are just minor details aren't they...

Garts

Bench
unjustified lol

he was drunk ffs

that's why he was punished

Oh no a person slightly drunk. Massive crime. Anyway we all know that was the stated reason but we all know the real reason he was suspended. And as i said before I can see why the nrl had to take that stance.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Also the media said Thurston was drunk when arrested, so that must be true. Will he miss the first 4 weeks next year?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Have you got a source for that police statement having been "demolished" in court? Surely there's a story on that somewhere.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
On another note dude, relax, seriously. This can't be doing you any good

Garts

Bench
Have you got a source for that police statement having been "demolished" in court? Surely there's a story on that somewhere.

I know they laughed at CCTV footage of him slipping as evidence of him being drunk but I don't recall reading much on the other guys statement apart from what El Diablo posted.

cleary89

Coach
His court case has shown that whilst he was drinking he was in full control of his actions, and the girl was at the gate when he got HOME and she approched him. Again they are just minor details aren't they...

Where did I say anything about him approaching her? I just said he shouldn't have put himself in that position, no matter who approached who.

If a student comes into the class when I'm by myself, does that make it ok if they tried to claim something? "But they approached me!!!!11"

And Thurston drinking is the least of his problems atm imo.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
I know they laughed at CCTV footage of him slipping as evidence of him being drunk but I don't recall reading much on the other guys statement apart from what El Diablo posted.

The freelance reporter on Silvertails gave a much better description of court proceedings than anything we saw in the media. He explained what happened when cross examined.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Where did I say anything about him approaching her? I just said he shouldn't have put himself in that position, no matter who approached who.

If a student comes into the class when I'm by myself, does that make it ok if they tried to claim something? "But they approached me!!!!11"

And Thurston drinking is the least of his problems atm imo.

Was he supposed to turn around and run away when he saw her at the gate? She asked him a question he answered, she grabbed his arm and tried to kiss him, he pulled back and said "I just want to get home". I'm sure when she asked "are you Brett Stewart?"he proabably just thought she was a fan and was being nice responding.

cleary89

Coach
How'd he get home? Ask the taxi driver to wait a minute, or who ever dropped him off.

Walk straight past, not stop when she tried to talk to him.

The point is he shouldn't have got himself in that position. To be alone with an underage girl after he had been out on the piss is bad, and hopefully other players or men in general learn from it, and don't let themselves be put in a situation where this type of thing could happen.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
How'd he get home? Ask the taxi driver to wait a minute, or who ever dropped him off.

Walk straight past, not stop when she tried to talk to him.

The point is he shouldn't have got himself in that position. To be alone with an underage girl after he had been out on the piss is bad, and hopefully other players or men in general learn from it, and don't let themselves be put in a situation where this type of thing could happen.

I see what you're saying but surely you can't blame him. Who would have ever seen this coming? He would be used to fans coming up to him and saying hi. Im guessing you're a teacher from what you said, and you are probably tought not to be in a class room alone with a student, but I'm sure a 23 year old bloke (at the time) isn't thinking along those lines. I know it wouldn't be running through my mind. It also wasn't like he was in her presence for long, they exchanged a few words before she tried to kiss him and ran off when he refused.