What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The forgotten team

Bay56

First Grade
I suppose it all comes down to the parameters that one measures 'success' in the professional sporting arena.

Maybe I dont consider those trophies for player rehab, player development only to lose them to other clubs, finishing at the top of the bottom half of the table, finishing next to last, winning away from home maybe once or twice a season, being bundled out of the semis after week one and other such parameters as highly as holding up the trophy come late September.

Heck the last time I looked at the trophy cabinet I saw something laden with dust with '1994 Champions' inscribed on it.

As the author indicates we were once a successful club (correct!) ... and we need to take some definite steps in the right direction lest we stay in the re-building stage for the next decade (correct!) ... we can do it but decisions by the front office will be what delays or accelerates the success.

dubby

Bench
Bay,

at least we have one a premiership more recently than the likes of STG and Parra who have had superstar teams recently.

We have missed the finals twice in 10 years which and have the second best appearance in finals footy in the last 20 years.

We finished 14th in 05 with a massive injury toll.
we finshed 14th in 07 despite being on the cusp of the 8 until the last few rounds and with arguably the least experienced team in the comp.

Crowds dipped during SL and parallel to the Brumbies success. Hardly our fault.

Just how the hell does this embrace failure bay?

Most clubs would envy a record like this.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Most clubs do envy it Dubby...
but unless we're undefeated premiers for 4 years running, bay56 will never be happy

Id love to see Bay56 given a crack at running the place, it'd be worth the shambles to see him in that position... as has been said for along time, all he does is critise, never once offering a better solution. At least the others whom are on the anti management wagon offer their opinions on what could be done better and where. But not our mate Bay56.

All huff, no puff

Bay56

First Grade
dubby said:
Bay,

at least we have one a premiership more recently than the likes of STG and Parra who have had superstar teams recently.

We have missed the finals twice in 10 years which and have the second best appearance in finals footy in the last 20 years.

We finished 14th in 05 with a massive injury toll.
we finshed 14th in 07 despite being on the cusp of the 8 until the last few rounds and with arguably the least experienced team in the comp ... I suggest you set up a poll and the forum for every other NRL club.

Crowds dipped during SL and parallel to the Brumbies success. Hardly our fault.

Just how the hell does this embrace failure bay?

Most clubs would envy a record like this.

Dubster you may wish to use STG and Parra as your yardstick ... I'd prefer to use a more successful organisation such as the Storm.

"We have missed the finals twice in 10 years" ... you beauty !!! ... the perennial bridesmaid.

"crowds dipped during SL and parallel to the Brumbies success" ... bingo !! that word success again.

"most clubs would eny a record like this" ... tell that to a few rival supporters and you'll have them rolling over in the isles.

I'd be happy with being a realistic chance of winning a semi-final ... but I'll let some think otherwise.

i honestly thought it was dribble , and that was only after reading the 1st sentence, I think every club has limited playing talent , what club has unlimited talent , not even Melbourne, as for the spoon , like every year they can keep predicting we are gonna get it , and like every year they are wrong.

Bay56

First Grade
Raidersrawesome said:
i honestly thought it was dribble , and that was only after reading the 1st sentence, I think every club has limited playing talent , what club has unlimited talent , not even Melbourne, as for the spoon , like every year they can keep predicting we are gonna get it , and like every year they are wrong.

So you formulated your opinion after the first sentence ... I read it with an open mind and formulated an opinion soon after the last word.

So every club has limited playing talent ... true ... so please explain how the Storm with their limited playing talent have been more successful than us.

Yes they have been wrong about spoon predictions ... but by the same breath they have been correct that we would not be competitive at the top end .... you say bannana and I say apples. We finished at the top end of the bottom half or the bottom of the top half.

As I said before the crux of his article is that we have been unsuccessful in the past decade. Is he wrong? The answer is NO unless your opinion revolves around winning not being that important or a measure of success in professional sport.

He suggests that the management need to make some creative plays to reap success in the immediate future. Is he wrong ?? NO .... maybe some of those plays have already been made ... 2008 will give a better understanding if that is actually the case.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Actually bay, the crux of the article is the raiders are at the start of a long dark tunnel and there is no light to be seen. The crux of the article is our club is struggling in all facets of League, from crowds, to talent, to recruitment and sponsorship... which as has been explained by me and many others, is complete bollocks.

mongoose

Coach
another thing this hack forgot to mention, i'm sure the australian coach, QLD coach, NSW coach, Country coach and city coach has not forgotten this team. The sydney media wouldn't dare bring to light that the whole australian rugby league representative arena is controlled by ex raiders?

Chachi

Bench
We ARE using the Storm as a model for success. Dropping our PL team was part of that. Club officials even spoke to the Storm management about how they handle the movement between players based in QLD.

Bay56

First Grade
"Ok so it might not be the most enticing spot in Australia to reside, but Canberra has the unique advantage of a graveyard style home stadium. Opposition teams always fear the cold, unwelcoming track at Bruce Stadium and the road trip to Canberra should be seen as a huge plus for the men in Green. Also on their side, the fact that they can tap into a large supporter base - the capital of Australia and a hometown craving winnings, the ingredients are there for success if the club wants to take hold of them.

For the Raiders to truly become a force, it will take some creative back office plays to start really building for the future. Just like Souths have done, chase the corporate backing first and start improving current facilities to entice the top tier of players into your corner. It takes some smart planning to get the snowball effect happening, if players won’t jump on board then maybe the Raiders should look at signing a big name coach in the future; one that will attract the big name NRL stars like bees to a honeypot. That is no reflection on Neil Henry, the impressive up and coming coach has seemingly done a wonderful job with what he has had to work with."

Yes, definitely an article where the sentiments expressed and the crux of the authors findings are "the start of a long dark tunnel and there is no light to be seen"

And I will repeat my pevious statement ... "He suggests that the management need to make some creative plays to reap success in the immediate future. Is he wrong ?? NO .... maybe some of those plays have already been made ... 2008 will give a better understanding if that is actually the case."

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Bay56 said:
The article is a fair and reaonable assessment of the Raiders plight in recent seasons ... heck it could easily have been written by me.

In so far as it was poorly written, badly researched, only vaguely grammatical and painfully cliched, perhaps it well could have been.

As for the thoughts in it....well, a bit of the same-old same-old, wasn`t it. I don't think there was anything particularly earth shattering here.

Bay56

First Grade
Yes I agree T_R, nothing 'particularly earth shattering' as much as painfully true ... something which our recent past record would illustrate but hopefully the immediate future will rectify.

This article could be applied to nearly any of the teams,
the author claims the Titans to be a force , so this year we get the 22 comp points then we are a force as well:crazy:
after finishing reading this article ,my opinion is still the same as it was after the 1st sentence, its dribble.

Bay56

First Grade
Raidersawesome who cares about his comments re the Titans ... his comments relating to the Titans imo are related to the fact that it was their first season in the big time of the NRL, they attracted an average of 21.5K per home game (albeit with one spike against the broncs) and finished just out of the eight.

The article as written could not be applied to any team (as you imply). I hardly see how it could apply to the Broncos and Storm and even some of the 'lesser' teams that finished near us on the table in 2007 have had varying degrees of success in the past decade (namely Penrith, Roosters, Newcastle, Tigers, Bulldogs). They are the clubs we should use as a yardstick. If you want to defend our club record by comparing us with the Rabbits over the past decade do so at your own peril.

Bay you seem to look at the negatives with our club more so with the management , and you have the right to ,but where did Penrith finish in 2002 , before they won in 03 , similar with the Tigers in 04 , there is no reason why our team cant do the same ,
this author loses credit when he says we need to improve current facilities , we have one of the best in the competition when it comes to training, the stadium is top notch, so what facilities is he refering to?
I cant see where it refers to crowd figures when he talks bout the Titans becoming a force , there are varying factors why the crowds were OK , as for them finishing just outside the 8 we were only 2 behind them.

I agree with you that 2008 is a crunch season , with the direction and progress of the club , but the ladder position should not be the only thing that dictates a successful season.

Bay56

First Grade
Raidersrawesome said:
Bay you seem to look at the negatives with our club more so with the management , and you have the right to ,but where did Penrith finish in 2002 , before they won in 03 , similar with the Tigers in 04 , there is no reason why our team cant do the same ,
this author loses credit when he says we need to improve current facilities , we have one of the best in the competition when it comes to training, the stadium is top notch, so what facilities is he refering to?
I cant see where it refers to crowd figures when he talks bout the Titans becoming a force , there are varying factors why the crowds were OK , as for them finishing just outside the 8 we were only 2 behind them.

I agree with you that 2008 is a crunch season , with the direction and progress of the club , but the ladder position should not be the only thing that dictates a successful season.

1. I have never stated that we cant do the same in 2008 ... I am hoping we do

2. The author may lose credit on the trainng facilities but when you next read the article take of the green sunnies, set yourself a spreadsheet and go through the article sentence by sentence and tick in categories, true or bs.

3. I cant see in his article where he states that being an instant force related only to their final position on the table. And yes we finished two poiints behind a team that had about a season and a half to get togther a playing roster and weld them together for a shot at the NRL premiership ... heck we've had a few more seasons than that.

4. At least we've got some common ground relating to your last paragraph but if you read the article with on open mind you will see that the author states that we cant remain in a rebuilding stage forever. Hence our position on the table in 2008 will be a parameter of measuring the work that management has undertaken to gain success for thsi club.

sydraider

First Grade
That article is utter crap, written by someone who was obviously having a pretty good jerk at the time, could quite possibly be a relation of Arko.

The one major aspect of the modern game which has affected us quite directly has been the expansion of the game, this has come in areas where in our glory days, we were rather agressive in recruiting players.

Granted between 87- 98 we were blessed with some amazing local junior talent eg, Stuart, Daley, Clyde, Mullins, Croker, I could go on, what complimented the strong junior talent was imports from qld and Nz, in a time before the warriors, cowboys, storm and nowadays titans, we were quite prevalent in above mentioned areas for player recruitment eg Mal, walters, belcher, todd, hoppe, jackson, backo, vainikolo, etc.

The market we gained success from has become quite competitive, it is what has lead to us being looked down upon instead of feared, who knows, with some shrewd recruitment if the club was prepared, perhaps we could have say an inglis or folau in our roster.