What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The future of woman's RL

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Its certainly interesting.I have heard some things, apparently 3 new clubs think they have been promised spots this year and none of those from QLD. That doesn't make sense.
Add to that I also heard its not the NRL pushing this but clubs spreading that information and they are not really understanding how much it costs.

What ever happens I really hope they don't lose the importance of keeping the product at a high level

Brick Tamland

Juniors
Its certainly interesting.I have heard some things, apparently 3 new clubs think they have been promised spots this year and none of those from QLD. That doesn't make sense.
Add to that I also heard its not the NRL pushing this but clubs spreading that information and they are not really understanding how much it costs.

What ever happens I really hope they don't lose the importance of keeping the product at a high level
will be interesting seeing which way the NRL leans in which clubs get invited in. Do they accept a club again which hasn't done anything for the female game (ie the Roosters), or do they go after a club which has teams in the Womens comp and/or tarsha gale?

NRL clubs with teams in:

NSWRL - Womens Comp - Souths, Cronulla, Wests
- Tarsha Gale - Cronulla, Wests, Newcastle, Canterbury, Raiders, Parra, St Merge (Dragons & Steelers teams)

Anyone know if Gold Coast or Cowboys have links to any of the QRL womens teams?

10$ Ferret

Staff member
will be interesting seeing which way the NRL leans in which clubs get invited in. Do they accept a club again which hasn't done anything for the female game (ie the Roosters), or do they go after a club which has teams in the Womens comp and/or tarsha gale?

NRL clubs with teams in:

NSWRL - Womens Comp - Souths, Cronulla, Wests
- Tarsha Gale - Cronulla, Wests, Newcastle, Canterbury, Raiders, Parra, St Merge (Dragons & Steelers teams)

Anyone know if Gold Coast or Cowboys have links to any of the QRL womens teams?

Well you forgot that the Roosters were actually the first to have a pathway from Tarsha Gale through to the NRWL. They run the CC Harvey Norman side and have had a TG cup side for all but the first year.
Not to mention their connections to North Sydney, their HNWP is basically the roosters second HNWP side. So I guess with that and the development of the women's game in the CC and promotion of league tag through their local juniors they do nothing :(

West Tigers and Parra would be front runners (Parra has connections with Cabra and Wenty in HNWP) as they have been investing in the woman's game.
The Gold coast have also been doing alot of development work.

I think Penrith and Souths are down the bottom of the priorities as they dumped their TG cup sides and are not interested in spending money and I don't think Manly are interested at all.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
Well you forgot that the Roosters were actually the first to have a pathway from Tarsha Gale through to the NRWL. They run the CC Harvey Norman side and have had a TG cup side for all but the first year.
Not to mention their connections to North Sydney, their HNWP is basically the roosters second HNWP side. So I guess with that and the development of the women's game in the CC and promotion of league tag through their local juniors they do nothing :(

West Tigers and Parra would be front runners (Parra has connections with Cabra and Wenty in HNWP) as they have been investing in the woman's game.
The Gold coast have also been doing alot of development work.

I think Penrith and Souths are down the bottom of the priorities as they dumped their TG cup sides and are not interested in spending money and I don't think Manly are interested at all.
When they were admitted to the NRLW, the chooks had done very little in the womens game. The things you mention came after their admission to the NRLW (except Tarsha Gale, they were there in 2018).

I think you need to add the Sharks to your list of possibles, they've had teams in the womens and TG comps since 2018 and have pushed womens footy pretty heavily in their marketing since they started organising 9's games in 2016.

But i think it depends on if the NRL want to keep pursuing the geographic footprint vision they listed as reasons for excluding the souths and sharks bids back in 2018, or they want to fish where the fish are.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
It maybe splitting hairs but it was not Cronulla but a junior club in Cronulla Carringbah. Cronulla are very quick to claim doing a lot for female RL and while they have done more than many they are riding the coat tails of the real pioneers in Illawarra

I do agree about the Roosters and I was not overly happy about how the creation of the CC team was handled either. Newcastle were ready to actually finally get behind their HNWP and NSW said no because of the CC team. But the Roosters have embraced it and have been working hard on the women's game. Its great to see the game grow, Parra, the Tigers, Newcastle , Titans etc investing heavily.

Clubs like Penrith need a right kick up their backside for cutting their investment to almost 0

ALX25

Juniors
A long-term vision of fielding an Australian Schoolgirls side to play overseas is not out of reach with foundations being put in place to mirror the boys' program.

Parkinson noted, however, the CHS team would be declared an "invitational" side for the next two years until the sport is officially sanctioned.

"We're preparing our state to be ready for a possible National Championship in the future, whether it leads to an Australian Schoolgirls recognition which mirrors the boys, we're preparing for that.

"This is 18 months in the making, whereas Queensland is probably a bit more in advanced with their divisions across the state. Hopefully one day, we might be able to go to them and say let's create something bigger at the national level."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/06/the-broader-game-australian-schoolgirls-goal-gaining-momentum/

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Every NRLW game is televised, there just isn't many of them yet.

ALX25, I thought the school rep carnival had been running for a few years in QLD, but could be wrong

Well they need a NRLW league because AFLW is smashing it up

I even see girls in Sydney kicking AFL balls.

Those girls will soon be mothers and they will have their kids playing AFL rather than NRL

We need an NRLW quick smart.

ALX25

Juniors
The next generation of NSW women’s Origin stars will come together on Sunday 9 May for a training camp ahead of the 2021 Harvey Norman Women’s National Championships at Moreton Daily Stadium, Redcliffe, from 19-23 May.

The camp, for the Under 19s NSW City and NSW Country teams to be held at the NSWRL Centre of Excellence at Sydney Olympic Park, will also provide an opportunity for players to press for selection in the Harvey Norman NSW Under 19s and Open Women’s Origin teams.

See more: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/05/07/country-city-u19s-camp-for-national-womens-cships/

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Well they need a NRLW league because AFLW is smashing it up

I even see girls in Sydney kicking AFL balls.

Those girls will soon be mothers and they will have their kids playing AFL rather than NRL

We need an NRLW quick smart.

AFL has been over the top of RL in schools for years, they throw so much more resources at it and are better organised and thats not just females.
We are coming into the 4th year of the NRLW , so we do have it and I support the original premise of keeping the team numbers down to keep the standard up. The standard of AFLW is terrible and we don't want that. Victorians remember would go and watch an AFL game that didn't have a ball, let along crap AFLW

ALX25

Juniors
180588821_4287722854591463_798423803027588302_n.jpg

ALX25

Juniors
Wests Tigers would like to congratulate the four players selected from its 2021 Tarsha Gale Cup squad to represent their respective regions at the upcoming National Championships later this month.

Congratulations to Katie Edwards, Jessica Kennedy and Jessica Whelan — who have been selected to play for New South Wales City — and Tiamo Williams, who has been selected to represent the Queensland Sapphires.

See more: https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2021/05/06/wests-tigers-girls-earn-representative-honours/

ALX25

Juniors
Thirteen players from the Sydney Roosters Indigenous Academy Tarsha Gale Cup (Women's U19s) will feature in representative sides in the Harvey Norman Women's National Championships in May.

The entirety of the starting side that represented in the 2021 Tarsha Gale Cup Grand Final have been selected to represent New South Wales City, New South Wales Country, Queensland Rubys and Queensland Sapphires in the U19s competition, as well as the First Nations Gems in the Open Age competition.

Maddie Binding, Iesha Duckett, Otesa Pule* and Zoe Cass have been selected in NSW City, while Charlize Lloyd-Phillips, Tayla Montgomery, Ruby Smith and Taneka Todhunter have been selected to represent NSW Country.

Jazmon Tupou-Witchman has been selected in the Queensland Rubys, while Courtney Tamati and Keilee Joseph have been named in the Queensland Sapphires squad.

Rease Casey has been selected as a shadow player for QLD, while Tymekqwa Duckett has been selected in the First Nations Gems.

*Interesting that Otesa Pule has been claimed by NSW having come through junior reps system in QLD.

See more: https://www.roosters.com.au/news/20...et-to-feature-in-womens-representative-sides/

Latest posts