What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gold Goast Vikings

zulu

Juniors
Bring em back!!!

Rememeber those wonderful all gold jerseys with green shorts from the old Winfield State League days?

Ah the memories...

DIEHARD

----
Might have Cambra fans on the war path. :lol: Yet another plus!

Anyone got any pictures of the old Vikings?

Razor

Coach
no and to close to the raiders

How is it to close the Raiders?

Vikings were only 1 of the many types of raiders.

Vikings and Raiders both exist in the NFL

If Raiders and Vikings are to close, then you must think Tigers and Panthers are to close because they are both cats.

DIEHARD

----
But the Raider is obviously a Viking.

It isn't a good idea to cut the grass of a rival team and the NRL will never let it happen.

Raider_69

Post Whore
our mascot is called Victor the Viking. That to me suggests that although we are called the "Raiders" we are more like vikings... too close for comfort anyways

besides i think Pirates or Titans is a better option

DIEHARD

----
It is like Coast FM stupidly suggesting Stallions which will never happen because it is the same thing as the Broncos.

Clubs need to establish their own identities, sharing similiar mascots doesn't do either club any favours.

bender

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
our mascot is called Victor the Viking. That to me suggests that although we are called the "Raiders" we are more like vikings... too close for comfort anyways

besides i think Pirates or Titans is a better option

If it worried tham, shouldnt Canberra have selected a different name when they named the club?

DIEHARD

----
Gold Coast Vikings

vikings.jpg

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]CLUB DETAILS[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Nickname: The Vikings.
Colours: Green and Gold.
Former Home Ground: Mainly Owen Park (In
State League years) and Carrara Stadium (in 1998). Also played games at some of the Gold Coast -Group 18 clubs' home grounds.
First Year: 1980.
First Season in the Queensland Cup: 1998 (it was the Vikings' only year in the Qld Cup).
Reason for Departure: The Vikings were, entirely, the Gold Coast Chargers' feeder club. When the Chargers were axed from the NRL late 1998, the Vikings also departed from the state competition. The Vikings are now a representative team for the Gold Coast -Group 18 competition.
Chances of Re-entry? Highly unlikely. The Burleigh Bears are now tagged the 'Gold Coast' club of the Bundy Gold Cup and it's unlikely there will be another Gold Coast club in the state competition.
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QUEENSLAND CUP RECORDS[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Largest Win: 52-6 v Souths at Owen Park, 1998.[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]​

Worst Loss: 38-12 v Townsville at Cowboys Stadium, 1998.​
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Win-Loss Record[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]​

Played: 24.​
Won: 16.​
Lost: 8.​
[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Finals Record

[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Played: 2.

Won: 1.​
Lost: 1.​
[/font]​

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]QUEENSLAND CUP AND STATE LEAGUE RECORDS

Queensland Cup
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1998: Semi-finalists.

State League
1995: Runners-up.
1994: Semi-finalists.
1993: Knocked out in preliminary rounds.
1992: 5th.
1991: 6th.
1988: 13th.
1987: 8th.
1986: 13th.
1985: 11th.
1984: 14th (last).
1983: 10th.
1982: 9th.

Source: http://queensland.rleague.com
[/font]

DIEHARD

----
Vikings back in the Queensland Cup as the feeder club to the Gold Coast in the NRL? :-k

I don't see how it is benefical to Burleigh and Tweed to be feeder clubs to the Gold Coast. Maybe a fully fledged feeder team in its own right is needed, North Queensland Young Guns style.

I would still like to see a high level of support from Burleigh and Tweed towards the NRL entity though.

imasharkie

Coach
DIEHARD said:
Vikings back in the Queensland Cup as the feeder club to the Gold Coast in the NRL? :-k

I don't see how it is benefical to Burleigh and Tweed to be feeder clubs to the Gold Coast. Maybe a fully fledged feeder team in its own right is needed, North Queensland Young Guns style.

I would still like to see a high level of support from Burleigh and Tweed towards the NRL entity though.

Yes it would be strange having 3 feeder clubs for the one team as what would happen when Tweed play Burleigh especially if players from both teams had played together in the Gold Coast team. I agree Diehard the coast should have their own 2nds team ala Clydesdales and young guns, maybe one of the expected feeder clubs, say Tweed could act as the 2nds team only and forget about the other two teams.

DIEHARD

----
imasharkie said:
maybe one of the expected feeder clubs, say Tweed could act as the 2nds team only and forget about the other two teams.

But you are also asking a club to surrender its identity. Tweed have been around for a very long time and Burleigh are a highly successful club.

It would be unfair to ask Burleigh and Tweed to be mere transit lounges for the Gold Coast NRL squad. It would create a lot of destablisation within the clubs.

In the absence of any ailing local clubs to take over, a new Gold Coast entry into the Queensland Cup may be the best answer. I think the region can support it.

Thoughts?

yankeeboy

Juniors
Why are you proposing a new feeder club for GC, Diehard? Don't you want Brothers Diehards to make it back into the QLD Cup?

DIEHARD

----
yankeeboy said:
Why are you proposing a new feeder club for GC, Diehard? Don't you want Brothers Diehards to make it back into the QLD Cup?

Brothers Valleys as an entity no longer exist.

The Diehards time will come, but as a Brisbane team. It may take a while but I am secretly confident.

A Diehards on the Gold Coast wouldn't be right and it would just be a rebadged team that isn't really Valleys.

Valid question though, it crossed my mind.