What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

hardbaby

Coach
Well the Big Red V is in the grand final. A great end to a great season.
Regardless of the result next week, nothing can take that away from us.
A great team (not necessarily a team of great players).

Some observations:

The Good:
1) The Dragons never give up
2) We play for the full 80
3) We stay calm (the choking tag has obviously not been an issue)
4) We stick to the game plan
5) Our second half is incredibly strong
6) Wayne Bennett you really are an amazing coach

The Bad:
1) We are vulnerable in the first 20 minutes - often concede points
2) Our backline still hasn't clicked
3) Weyman is obviously injured (subbed 3 times tonight)
4) I almost had a heart attack tonight
5) It took too long to realise that the inside ball was the nut cracker

The Ugly:
1) God help us next year without Smith - the leader of our pack
2) Green is a disappointment - need Saffy fit next week
3) Dean Young is my favourite player but a lot of his dummy half runs are rubbish. Bite the bullet - Fein

So basically this is our year. The Roosters are muck (still can't believe they made the grand final).
It is our best chance since 1985. Go the Dragons!!

j0nesy

Bench
Well that was just f**king brilliant. Smith was awesome, and Nightingale had an excellent game. Geez Im looking forward to gf, the atmosphere will be electric. UP THE MIGHTY DRAGONS.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Best chance since 99 I reckon!

Talk about a f**king heart attack game.

Hope we smash then 30 nil next week coz I can't take another heart attack game.

Minh

First Grade
Very good observation, pretty much spot on but I think your being a bit hard on Green, I thought he rolled up his sleeves and played his role (solid, importantly no mistakes I can recall) he was never meant be an impact player really.

Next year we'll get Hunt back, Prior and Merrin will definately improve as thay mature and hardened by this finals experience, Gasnier will be much fitter with the full off season, also the likes of Stanley will be there as well as Emmett.

But I agree Jeremy Smith and Costigan are beasts of player's and will be hard to replace that's for sure, and lastly but most importantly we have Wayne Bennett.

hardbaby

Coach
Yeah I'm nervous about next year Minh. Lost lots of players (most of the hard dudes) and signed almost nothing. But guess what brother? That's next year. I'm only worried about this year and we are in the grand final. Oh, so sweet.

TonyDragons1

Juniors
Green took a screamer off Farrah in the 63rd minute that saved a try. He's not flashy but does what's asked of him.

The good = we won
The bad = we only won by 1 point
The ugly = Me poppong little white tabs under me tongue all friggin game between screaming and drinking 12 stubbies

Go Dragons Go

Minh

First Grade
Yeah I'm nervous about next year Minh. Lost lots of players (most of the hard dudes) and signed almost nothing. But guess what brother? That's next year. I'm only worried about this year and we are in the grand final. Oh, so sweet.

Sweet As, this tough win will put them in good stead for next week.:cool:

Sweet As, this tough win will put them in good stead for next week.:cool:

Valid point I was most impressed that we stayed so composed and never let the situation get to us and just stuck to the tried formular that worked all year. Grind out a good win. Simple as that. Not easy to stay that cool and not throw reckless passes.

Only thing that p*ssed me off as a Fox sports watcher of the game was how the commentators just seemed to bag Dragons all night and you would swear they took long passionate showers with the Tigers players. I think that is what made this win even more pleasing

Its all good thats for sure

Minh

First Grade
Valid point I was most impressed that we stayed so composed and never let the situation get to us and just stuck to the tried formular that worked all year. Grind out a good win. Simple as that. Not easy to stay that cool and not throw reckless passes.

Only thing that p*ssed me off as a Fox sports watcher of the game was how the commentators just seemed to bag Dragons all night and you would swear they took long passionate showers with the Tigers players. I think that is what made this win even more pleasing

Its all good thats for sure

It's sensational, after so many heartbreaking seasons, I'm ecstatic about this one it's a bloody GF who wouldn't be, been following them since 85, it goes with the territory of such a famous club that we're scrutinised more than most other teams, the likes of Tallis who loves taking pot shots at us, and others saying that we're boring.

"Winning isn't boring", a quote by Cameron Smith and so true. Bring on next Sunday and let it be even sweeter.

Fingerbang

Bench
Just wanna touch on the Bad and Ugly bit. Gould really peed me off tonight when Dragons got in front 13 - 12 he was going on about how they always do this to teams, grind their way to the lead and choke the opposition out of it. FFS, in the first 20 mins when Tiges got in front 6 - 0 and then later at 12 - 6, all he could say was how Dragons hate coming from behind and only ever won 4 of 10 games when behind at halftime. Which one is Beestinghead?

saints4ever

First Grade
Just read the pussys officials and fans are waiting with interest to see if JDog will get cited for the knees into Predator. They say if he is there will be hell to pay because it will be admitting the refs got it wrong.

I cannot believe they are whinging over that. Have none of them played a game of footy? I am as red and white as they come but I also call a spade a spade. How can that be anything but accidental? Predator wasnt already down and got a cheap shot, or going for a try, JDog smacked into him as he fell.

Its a tough game, accidents happen. Case closed

TheRev

Coach
That game was so unconvincing.. neither was the Manly game, in my mind the Roosters should be favourites for the grand-final.

However despite playing crap.. we won.. and next week if a few balls stick, maybe we will get some points on the board early and go on with it, I couldnt believe it when I watched Cooper drop the ball twice tonight and us let in easy tries.. talk about finals pressure.. we were a shadow of ourselves...but next week the pressure is on everyone, its GF-Time!

Efresh

Coach
I couldnt believe it when I watched Cooper drop the ball twice tonight and us let in easy tries..!

I nearly threw my beer at the TV when Coops muffed that second chance he got. He defended like a madman at least.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Gotta say that in some of the first half the boys reminded me of last year's finals matches. Great effort to not only stay in the game, but win it.

And lucky for my 10yo he was out fishing, after it got to 12-6 and I realised they Dragons hadn't been in a grand final while he's been alive! :D

grandorient

Bench
How the f*ck did we win that????

If we play like that next week, the Roosters will put a score on us we won't be able to peg back.

Having said that, will we win next week, definitely yes.

I have never been a fan of the 1 week layoff in the semi's and finals. I believe this view is substantiated to some degree by the Titans match and again last night.

Well, we were able to get away with it last night and next week we will be so much better for it. Yes, I am convinced next week we will be holding the trophy aloft.

Good luck to the club, the coach, the team and most importantly the loyal fans that have supported the mighty Saints through thick and thin, through good times and bad. Cheers fellows, take a bow, it was wonderous seeing the army on telly last night; I had goose bumps on goose bumps.

GO